Singles get screwed for free!

naked on the balcony

I just booked my third crossing on the QM2, and jeez am I mad! I'm traveling by myself this time, and yes...I already know there are no single cabins on the ship; however I expected to pay somewhat less (even a little) than two people traveling together. So here's the rub: not only am I paying for two people when only one is traveling, but they also charge two port fees. This is pure profit for Cunard, as the line is billed by the port for exactly how many passengers are onboard not the number of cabins sold; (seems to me that this policy might even be illegal). They did advise me of a promotion for an air credit if I didn't need air; however they only apply the credit for one passenger, even though I'm paying for two. What this means...is that I will be paying more for my cruise than if I had two people going. I understand that selling a double cabin to one person theoretically lowers the amount of money that cabin will spend for onboard expenses, but I don't think that justifies the ill-will they are generating by gouging solo passengers. I think this is a bad policy, and hope management at Cunard will find a way to placate solo passengers while still running a profitable ship.

And only paid 150%. And, tax and port fees for one person. But, then it's a transatlantic sail that hasn't sold out. You really should investigate a little more.

I don't know how much more I could have investigated; I got prices from three "cruise brokers" and called cunard about six different times within a week hoping a different person would find a better promotion. I guess you must have booked early or have a really good travel agent. Regardless, I don't think its right to charge anyone two port fees, even if I were the most uninformed person on the planet. Some things are just unethical...but I suppose that's the price I pay for choosing not to fly. Although I complained, I did accept their price...so my recourse seems to be complaining on this board, or perhaps eating double portions of food and taking very long showers.

Unfortunately, when QE2 left the transatlantic route, so did single cabins. Those of us who travel solo must put up with the double fares. The best thing I can advise, is to find a good travel agent who can get you the most advantageous deals possible.

Call Cunard again and ask for a supervisor.. No cruise line charges double port fees for a single cabin to me knowledge and I don't think they legally can! When I was a TA that was strictly forbidden.. Someone either doesn't understand your question or has no idea what they are talking about.. Yes, unfortunately, they can charge you double far but NOT double port charges.. If you get no satisfaction, cancel and then get in touch with CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association).

OK, I got the official policy today from Cunard regarding solo passengers and port fees. Singles do in fact pay double the port fees, they just may not realize it because they show up on your paperwork as one port fee; the single port fee is however the same amount as if two people were travelling in the same cabin. Cunard's position is that they are charged by the port as if the ship were filled, regardless of how many people are onboard. Therefore, they assert that the port fees are based on the cabin, not the individual. Still sounds spurious to me...

OK, I got the official policy today from Cunard regarding solo passengers and port fees. Singles do in fact pay double the port fees, they just may not realize it because they show up on your paperwork as one port fee; the single port fee is however the same amount as if two people were travelling in the same cabin. Cunard's position is that they are charged by the port as if the ship were filled, regardless of how many people are onboard. Therefore, they assert that the port fees are based on the cabin, not the individual. Still sounds spurious to me...

So if there are 4 people in a cabin, each pays only half? (4 halves=2 full port charges)

Steve

So here's the rub: not only am I paying for two people when only one is traveling, but they also charge two port fees.
I'm sailing solo on Tuesday and only paid 150%. And, tax and port fees for one person. But, then it's a transatlantic sail that hasn't sold out. You really should investigate a little more.
Call Cunard again and ask for a supervisor.. No cruise line charges double port fees for a single cabin to me knowledge and I don't think they legally can! When I was a TA that was strictly forbidden..
OK, I got the official policy today from Cunard regarding solo passengers and port fees. Singles do in fact pay double the port fees, they just may not realize it because they show up on your paperwork as one port fee
Dealing with the Cunard/Princess reservation office is like dealing with a used car salesman. They seemed to be trained to make you dizzy until (they hope) you give up your cause, in despair and confusion. I once called them to complain about how my early booking rate was so much more expensive than the sales they later offered, and their "solution" would have had me paying almost $1000 more! I would not be surprised if the reservationists are paid incentives on how much money they can book you at over their secret rock bottom price.

I just booked my third crossing on the QM2, and jeez am I mad! I'm traveling by myself this time, and yes...I already know there are no single cabins on the ship; however I expected to pay somewhat less (even a little) than two people traveling together. So here's the rub: not only am I paying for two people when only one is traveling, but they also charge two port fees.

Port fees are charged by cabin, not passenger.

As for paying double single supplement, there is a certain large online broker who has a special section on their website with discounted single supplement sailings. I can't post the name of it here ... against CC rules ... but if you email me at kry.os@verizon.net I'll send you the link.

Certain sailings on there will give us poor singles a break and a few of them are Cunard transatlantic crossings. I've been checking the site regularly because I'd like to maybe do a b2b on the QM2 perhaps in 2007 and was trying to get an idea of prices. While the sailings on that website are not single supplement-free ... they at least give us somewhat of a break.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived