Brilliance of the Sea Fiasco

We were on this sailing. While the strike was NOT RCI's fault, everything afterwards was on their watch. They provided misinformation and misdirection. We asked several times and were always told, "Don't worry, well take care of you."

In the end we were put off the ship, given a letter and told good luck. The contact phone numbers we were given didn't work and we could not contact RCI to take advantage of their offer to get us flights home for $700. If not for my travel insurance company, I may still be in Barcelona Spain. The insurance company helped my cut through RCI's BS and get in contact with them.

I have a very lenghty report on what happend to us at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249454

This was just our personal experience. There were many different experiences among those disembarking late in Barcelona. Some where happy, some where not. Most that we encountered along the way were less than pleased.

Overall, my impression was that air/sea package people faired slightly better but there was still problems, like being shipped to hotels 70 km outside of BCN, getting there after midnight and then being told to be at the busses by 05:00 AM with no breakfast being available. The flight was not supposed to begin check in until 08:45 and ended up not leaving BCN until around 3 PM. We were pretty much stuck in a crowded, hot room without appropriate seating for that many people for a very long period of time.

It was also apparent that the right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing. There was plenty that was RCI's fault IMHO. While the strike was not their fault, how they handled it is on their shoulders. They failed miserably.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that it's now RCI and not RCCL. RCCL could easily stand for Really Couldn't Care Less after what they put me and my wife through.

We were on this sailing. While the strike was NOT RCI's fault, everything afterwards was on their watch. They provided misinformation and misdirection. We asked several times and were always told, "Don't worry, well take care of you."

In the end we were put off the ship, given a letter and told good luck. The contact phone numbers we were given didn't work and we could not contact RCI to take advantage of their offer to get us flights home for $700. If not for my travel insurance company, I may still be in Barcelona Spain. The insurance company helped my cut through RCI's BS and get in contact with them.

I have a very lenghty report on what happend to us at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249454

This was just our personal experience. There were many different experiences among those disembarking late in Barcelona. Some where happy, some where not. Most that we encountered along the way were less than pleased.

Overall, my impression was that air/sea package people faired slightly better but there was still problems, like being shipped to hotels 70 km outside of BCN, getting there after midnight and then being told to be at the busses by 05:00 AM with no breakfast being available. The flight was not supposed to begin check in until 08:45 and ended up not leaving BCN until around 3 PM. We were pretty much stuck in a crowded, hot room without appropriate seating for that many people for a very long period of time.

It was also apparent that the right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing. There was plenty that was RCI's fault IMHO. While the strike was not their fault, how they handled it is on their shoulders. They failed miserably.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that it's now RCI and not RCCL. RCCL could easily stand for Really Couldn't Care Less after what they put me and my wife through.

I was on this cruise with Doug and we just got home this morning, Sunday, instead of Thursday.

I agree 100% that the cause of the delay was not RCI's fault. It was unavoidable. However, the lying and deceit that followed from RCI was unbelievable. Trust me, you had to be there to experience the total lack of concern that was expressed ONCE WE WERE OFF THE SHIP. We have been loyal RCI cruisers since 1980. This was our 20th RCI cruise. We have two more scheduled for next year and I'm waiting to make a decision on them until I've had an attitude adjustment and talked to RCI.

The cruise itself was wonderful, it was the deceit that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and believe me, they lied through their teeth.

This was really a wonderful cruise. I wasn't even worried about getting off the ship late until I called British Air and found out that I couldn't get a flight out of Barcelona until Nov 1 (and we were only trying to get to London at that point). dougp26364's review explains it all. I'll just add that we were one of the ones bussed an hour out of Barcelona. We were also very fortunate that we were able to get a cab back the airport (with 2 other couples) when the bus didn't show up.

It was very hard to make decisions with very little and inaccurate information.

I'm anxious to hear about how our other cruise passengers fared.

Everything that happened to these poor people after was. Lack of service, last of training lack of everything else.

I was talking about the strike. That is what caused all the confusion to begin with. Do you think it would have been that way had there been no strike?

using the strike as a excuse for lousy service just doesn't cut it. RCL had plenty of time to get their house in order and they just plain didn't. So, do I think that could have happened without a strike, you bet I do.

The strike had nothing to do with the lousy service.

I believe Alexis was refering to the situation of passengers of the 3 night cruise. In other words, those waiting to get on the ship. In that case, there was little RCI could have done to get them on the ship faster unless it was not making the customs mistake of co-mingling luggage of embarkation and disembarkation passengers. If that in fact did happen, then that was RCI's fault.

Now, as for everything that happened to those getting OFF the ship, we were essentially told to goodbye, get off and good luck. Everything that followed was poor customer service and many things that happened (or didn't happen) was RCI's fault IMO.

I believe Alexis was refering to the situation of passengers of the 3 night cruise. In other words, those waiting to get on the ship. In that case, there was little RCI could have done to get them on the ship faster unless it was not making the customs mistake of co-mingling luggage of embarkation and disembarkation passengers. If that in fact did happen, then that was RCI's fault.

Now, as for everything that happened to those getting OFF the ship, we were essentially told to goodbye, get off and good luck. Everything that followed was poor customer service and many things that happened (or didn't happen) was RCI's fault IMO.

Thank you. If anyone would have looked look at my posting time, they would see it was posted quite a while before you even put your reply about the cruise on here. (almost an hour before) I knew nothing of what you were going to post. My answer had nothing to do with your terrible experience. I hope at least you understand that. ;)

Hello...eEven though my wife and I were supposed to be on the above mentioned cruise, we had changed our dates to December because my wife got a new job position in Early September and could not get the 2-weeks off for the cruise.

In any event, we had some friends who sent on this cruise who are very open minded and have also cruised RCCL over 15-times. Yes, it is true from what they told me that the fishermen's strike was the reason for the confusion that transpired, but, RCCL basically ignored their passengers after they got off the ship, had most of them shift for themselves, offered hardly any help, and took care of only the passengers who purchased and air and sea total package through them, even though it wasn't that much better.

The problem started when the fishermen who were on strike, apparently blocked the docks so ships could not dock and let off passengers. Then mass confusion started as to when people would be let off. I understand the strike was finally resolved at night and RCCL began to let people off around 8-PM, but by then, just about everyone missed their flights home except for people who were extending their stay after the cruise.

RCCL then shuttled some passengers to some way out of town hotels in less than perfect areas, but only if your name was on their special list. If not, you either had to find your own way to a hotel which you had to pay for, or like some people did, they just demanded and got on the bus anyway. One couple had to walk over 20-minutes, I was told with their luggage in tow to find a hotel because RCCL would not allow them on the bus.

Then, for the people who arrived at these hotels around midnight, they had to be up at 4-AM to try and get to the airport. Once they arrived, many of them could still not get flights home and eventually had to buy new plane tickets back. Those pooe people who did not have the money to do that or enough credit on their credit cards to charge it.

I know, I am missing more facts from what our friends told us, but this situation could have been avoided.

It is unfair for anyone to say it is NOT RCCL's fault at all and that is how crusing is. I agree with those statements most of the time that certain things are unavoidable and you have to roll with the flow, but in the case of many people being in a foreign country with an un expected strike that makes thier disembarkation almost impossilble, along with missing their flights home because of it, and getting no compensation, or at the very least, some professional direction from RCCL seems unacceptable to me, but that is only my opinon.

Regards,

Dave

Hello...eEven though my wife and I were supposed to be on the above mentioned cruise, we had changed our dates to December because my wife got a new job position in Early September and could not get the 2-weeks off for the cruise.

In any event, we had some friends who sent on this cruise who are very open minded and have also cruised RCCL over 15-times. Yes, it is true from what they told me that the fishermen's strike was the reason for the confusion that transpired, but, RCCL basically ignored their passengers after they got off the ship, had most of them shift for themselves, offered hardly any help, and took care of only the passengers who purchased and air and sea total package through them, even though it wasn't that much better.

The problem started when the fishermen who were on strike, apparently blocked the docks so ships could not dock and let off passengers. Then mass confusion started as to when people would be let off. I understand the strike was finally resolved at night and RCCL began to let people off around 8-PM, but by then, just about everyone missed their flights home except for people who were extending their stay after the cruise.

RCCL then shuttled some passengers to some way out of town hotels in less than perfect areas, but only if your name was on their special list. If not, you either had to find your own way to a hotel which you had to pay for, or like some people did, they just demanded and got on the bus anyway. One couple had to walk over 20-minutes, I was told with their luggage in tow to find a hotel because RCCL would not allow them on the bus.

Then, for the people who arrived at these hotels around midnight, they had to be up at 4-AM to try and get to the airport. Once they arrived, many of them could still not get flights home and eventually had to buy new plane tickets back. Those pooe people who did not have the money to do that or enough credit on their credit cards to charge it.

I know, I am missing more facts from what our friends told us, but this situation could have been avoided.

It is unfair for anyone to say it is NOT RCCL's fault at all and that is how crusing is. I agree with those statements most of the time that certain things are unavoidable and you have to roll with the flow, but in the case of many people being in a foreign country with an un expected strike that makes thier disembarkation almost impossilble, along with missing their flights home because of it, and getting no compensation, or at the very least, some professional direction from RCCL seems unacceptable to me, but that is only my opinon.

Regards,

Dave

I think the confusion on this thread is that the original post was talking about a person trying to get on the Brilliance for his 3 night cruise, not off of it.

Some of us are answering that very first posting and review by German Wunderkind .

NOT the last postings of those people who had all the trouble when they got off.

Hopefully, some of the people who were on the 12-day Mediterrianian cruise that had all of the dis embarkation problems will open a posting. I do know one person has a post about this mess on

http://www.cruise-addicts.com

Then going to Ship Reviews, then to Brilliance Of The Seas. His review is so detailed, that he has it in 3-parts.

Dave

Hopefully, some of the people who were on the 12-day Mediterrianian cruise that had all of the dis embarkation problems will open a posting. I do know one person has a post about this mess on

http://www.cruise-addicts.com

Then going to Ship Reviews, then to Brilliance Of The Seas. His review is so detailed, that he has it in 3-parts.

Dave

I did start a thread. It's at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249454

Sounds to me like they took lessons on how to act in this situation from our Government.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went to the same training sessions that FEMA went too, except RCI slept through them. They were really bad, except when it came to lying. Then they really excelled.

I would have no problem if RCI had said up front, cruise only passengers are on their own. I accepted that responsibility when I booked my own air. They, however assurred me that they would take care of everything. I was even told that in circumstances such as this, we are one family, we take care of everyone. Stupid me, I believed them. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. There will not be a second time. I think that is the message that Doug and I are trying to get across.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went to the same training sessions that FEMA went too, except RCI slept through them. They were really bad, except when it came to lying. Then they really excelled.

I would have no problem if RCI had said up front, cruise only passengers are on their own. I accepted that responsibility when I booked my own air. They, however assurred me that they would take care of everything. I was even told that in circumstances such as this, we are one family, we take care of everyone. Stupid me, I believed them. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. There will not be a second time. I think that is the message that Doug and I are trying to get across.

When a situation as serious as this happens, it SHOULD be the responsibility of RCI to at least make sure their passengers are safe and can get home. Regardless of who you booked your air through, RCI should know better. I feel for all of you who were on that ship. Its not like you were in Ft. Lauderdale, you were in a foreign country. It soulds ike a "Fiasco" as the op said.

When a situation as serious as this happens, it SHOULD be the responsibility of RCI to at least make sure their passengers are safe and can get home. Regardless of who you booked your air through, RCI should know better. I feel for all of you who were on that ship. Its not like you were in Ft. Lauderdale, you were in a foreign country. It soulds ike a "Fiasco" as the op said.

But if you take the time to read your cruise contract you realize that they disavow any responsibilty at all. It clearly states they have NO OBLIGATION to assist you in any way.

As Jbond has said, they repeatedly told all of the cruise only passengers not to worry, they'd take care of us. I found it interesting when one of the air/sea passengers was told to fill out the flight information form, he took it down to one of the drop boxes only to discover it crammed FULL of these forms. Even though we were told to get them in to guest relations by 09:00 so they could contact our airlines to assist in making alternative arrangements, they did nothing with the forms.

I found this our from another passenger while standing in the crowd at the airport. He had turned his form in one hour after the deadline. that would have been 10:00 AM on the day of disembarkation.

Why did RCI lie to us all like that? What on Earth did they stand to gain from it? Did they not think that it would put a bad taste in everyone's mouth? BTW, I had heard there were over 900 C&A members on this cruise. Judging by the turnout in the Colony Club where it was tough to get a seat if you came in late, I believe it. That's 900 potentially loyal customers that they just turned off to RCI.

I keep running it over and over in my mind trying to find blame with myself. Did I misunderstand something? I had assumed that I would have to take care of myself but, after having RCI tell us so many times not to worry, they'd take care of us, I began to believe them. Peter the cruise director was even on the RCI television channel encouraging everyone who was not an air/sea passenger to turn in those flight information forms so that RCI personal could begin working on notifying everyone's airline and rebooking flights. As far as I can tell, RCI never did any such thing. They just collected the forms in the boxes and did nothing with them.

I attemtped to call Delta tonight to see if there is any value to my unused portion of my ticket. Unfortunately, I was transfered to the international flight desk and put on terminal hold. After 02 minutes I couldn't take it anymore and hung up. I'll try again tomorrow.

My complaint letter reached 7 pages long. It will be mailed tomorrow, certified of course, to both customer service with a cc to Crown and Anchor. I do not expect a responce judging by our treatment after we were off the ship. What I do expect is a refund of the cost of the hotel room. I do have it in writing that they would provide for the cost of the hotel room for two nights. One night was in Barcelona, the second was in New Jersey. They have already picked up the tab for NJ. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $185 for the Barcelona hotel room. There was no mention of any cost limitations nor was there any mention of RCI helping me find a hotel room. Therefore, since it's in writing, I feel I am owed at least that much.

But if you take the time to read your cruise contract you realize that they disavow any responsibilty at all. It clearly states they have NO OBLIGATION to assist you in any way.

I realize what the conract says, and that is why I always choose my vacation very carefully. But in this situation, you would think that they would WANT to help all the people that were stranded. It is just in good conscious and customer service to take care of passengers in this kind of situation. I am truly sorry you had to go through this.

But in this situation, you would think that they would WANT to help all the people that were stranded. It is just in good conscious and customer service to take care of passengers in this kind of situation. I am truly sorry you had to go through this.

I agree with you, and I thought that they were doing that. Unfortunately it didn't happen. Out in the boonies hotel (80 kms outside of town) that they put us up in, the RCI rep in Barcelona told us we were by ourselves to find our own way back into the airport, even though we were on their charter. We arranged for two local coaches for the approx 100 passengers at a cost of around 1400 euros (about$1700). Could you imagine a company that wants to maintain a customer friendly image, antagonising 100 customers for a measly $1700?

Somewhere, something went very wrong. I've e-mailed Richard Fain and Adam Goldstein to try and get some corporate input on the situation. I'll let you know if I get a response. I don't want any mony back from RCI, that's why I have insurance. I just want an explaination and assurances that it will be handled differently next time.

To add salt into the wound, I just got off the phone with customer service. It seems there are no plans in place for reimbursement of hotel expenses. In re-reading the letter we were given, it states that hotel rooms will be "provided," not reimbursed.

I explained to the CS rep that RCI's idea of hotel rooms was around 100 km from the airport with no plans to get guests back to the airport. I asked her if she had any idea just how expensive that might be? I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I was supposed to receive a phone call letting me know they received my fax.

I actually offered to bring it by their office since their CS center is located where I live but, I was told the doors are locked and only employee's can enter the building. Go figure.

What I would like to know is how long had this fisherman's strike been going on? Was it just that morning? In other words how much time had RCI staff had to assess the situation and react? And lying isn't a smart reaction!!

You would think that a cruise line as big as RCI would have some game plans in place for all situations, especially in Europe where strikes are a normal way of life. Look at Marseille lately. Italian rail strikes.

I hope they are ready for some real catastrophe.:eek:

Snowbird

Archived