Sea of Cortez

KCIrish

Hi,

I will be going on the 10 day Rhydam "Sea of Cortez" cruise on Dec. 17. I have looked all over the boards and have found very little on this cruise. I would love to know anything from past experiences. Good or Bad

Thanks

We took that cruise on the Ryndam in APR/MAY 02 and really enjoyed it! You'll see a big difference between the buzzling and touristry ports of Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas (visited by may other cruise lines and can be pretty busy) and the still relatively sleepy and "undiscovered" ports on the Sea of Cortez (Pichilingue/La Paz, Loreto and Topolobampo) We did Santa Rosalia in 02 but HAL has since switched to Topo.. The trip up the Sea of Cortez is very quiet and scenic. Been to the first three ports many times so the addition of the Sea of Cortez ports was really attractive. We have no regrets and I think you will have a great time there! Unfortuntately, it looks like HAL will only have two cruises going there in 2006 on the ZaandamHave an excellent cruise!

ports on the Sea of Cortez (Pichilingue/La Paz, Loreto and Topolobampo) >>

we did the cruise with 2 other couples in dec 03 and loved it --- loreto was absolutely charming-- just one main street with shops -- the hotel restaurant wasnt even open for lunch at that time----the bus ride to pichilingue/la paz was a bit of a driving adventure --there was absolutly nothing where we disembaked ------------la paz was bigger and more tourist oriented --our third stop was cabo san lucas and as touristy as it is we enjoyed it -- one of the guys went deep sea fishing another went to buy western boots and the rest of us walked around and bought stuff-- all in all we selected this cruise over the riviera for its quietness and lack of overwhelming crowds -----------we are planning the riviera in dec 06--have no idea why the sea of cortes doesnt get more play -- its still a secret

I enjoyed it, but it was a little dull. However the sea food was fantastic. Comedian Don Sherman summed up Loreto the best, he did it in ten minutes, including lunch and a nap, however I am bound to say that while there was a grain of truth to the comment, he did say the same of Cabo San Lucas, on a different cruise. It is different however, so I would say 'Go for it'. john

We have done the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam (April, 2002), and totally loved it--the ports were wonderful, especially the "cities/towns" on the Sea of Cortez--La Paz/Pichilingua, Loreto, and Santa Rosalia. The Ryndam was probably the friendliest of the HAL ships that we have ever cruised. I realize that much can change in 3-4 years, but I would definitely recommend this as a wonderful cruise!

We have done the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam (April' date=' 2002), and totally loved it--the ports were wonderful, especially the "cities/towns" on the Sea of Cortez--La Paz/Pichilingua, Loreto, and Santa Rosalia. The Ryndam was probably the friendliest of the HAL ships that we have ever cruised. I realize that much can change in 3-4 years, but I would definitely recommend this as a wonderful cruise![/quote']

If you took it from 24 Apr-04 May, then I guess we were on the same cruise, Cruz'n Couple!

I orginally booked this cruise for the Copper Canyon experience. Unfortunately, I didn't bounce back from chemo nearly fast enough to take the tour. I knew within about a month of the cruise that I would never make it on that excursion, especially given what others have said about it (very long, sometimes a straight 24 hours).

Fortunately, the cruise was still absolutely fantastic. I loved the ports of Loreto and La Paz. I wasn't so crazy about Los Mochis (Topolobampo). I will go more into detail about why I probably wouldn't leave the ship again for that port if anyone is interested (nothing really negative, just personal opinion).

As far as the Sea of Cortez goes, if you like calm water, almost like being in port or on land, it definitely fits the bill. We never "felt" the Sea at all. It was like gliding on glass. My husband loved this, whereas I wanted to feel the ship moving. Just personal preference.

I think that the Copper Canyon excursion will have to be changed, if HAL is going to continue with it. I have heard many complaints about the tour which encompass everything from the sheer time and strain of it, to the shabbiness of the train itself. I believe that it probably needs to be a two-day excursion, with the passengers on the Ryndam who chose not to do the tour maybe cruising the Sea of Cortez for a day. I'm not sure this would be possible, but given the number of complaints by everyone, and even the captain addressing the issue to us personally, I think something will have to be changed.

I was sad to learn that the Ryndam is leaving the west coast in January 2006, with no ship to take it's place full-time, but have since learned that she will be returning in 2007. I've no clue what the reasons are for this, but I'm definitely glad she is scheduled to return to the west coast. I love the Ryndam and can't wait to get back on for Thankgiving, in a couple of weeks.

Since I just finished this itinerary, please feel free to ask any questions about it. I'll answer if I can.

We are interested in this itinerary. How was it possible to go to Los Mochis--did you take one of the ship's optionals? What is in Los Mochis to see? I have read other comments about the length of the Copper Canyon trip--few were very complimentary. Most of my friends, who have done the Copper Canyon, have done it as a land tour and loved it. Mainly because they had time and did not do it in on long day trip.

Any other comments would be appreciated. hmh:)

There were free shuttles at the pier all day long. One went to Los Mochis, one went to a local beach (can't remember which one).

No one seemed very happy in LM. I guess that was the reason that I wasn't crazy about it. I've probably been to 50 or more Mexican towns/cities. I lived in Monterrey. One thing that is pretty common throughout Mexico is that the people are fantastic. LM was the first place I'd ever visited where everyone seemed depressed and unhappy. The questions I asked got listless replies and downturned faces. No one wanted to meet my eyes. It was the exact opposite of almost everything I've ever experienced in Mexico, even at border towns.

No one was openly rude or hostile, I just didn't feel comfortable. I didn't feel right. And I've never felt that way in Mexico. Maybe things will improve in time.

We are interested in this itinerary. How was it possible to go to Los Mochis--did you take one of the ship's optionals? What is in Los Mochis to see? I have read other comments about the length of the Copper Canyon trip--few were very complimentary. Most of my friends, who have done the Copper Canyon, have done it as a land tour and loved it. Mainly because they had time and did not do it in on long day trip.

Any other comments would be appreciated. hmh:)

Archived