Has anyone taken the Turnagain Arm Tour?

Cathy Young

Has anyone taken the tour described below? It leaves from Whittier. If so would you recommend it. I believe it's $125 per person. Or should I rent a car and do it on my own, or would you recommend something else in the area? My plane does not leave Anchorage until about midnight so I have plenty of time.

Turnagain Arm History & Tram Tour

spacer.gifExperience glaciers, mountains and Alaska history on this tour of Turnagain Arm's highlights.

Your first stop is Portage Glacier, Alaska's most visited attraction. At the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center you can “walk” through the Portage Valley in the newly-renovated, interactive exhibit rooms.

Next, journey to the base of mighty Mt. Alyeska, home to one of the most breathtaking year-round destination resorts in the world. Ride the Glacier Express Tram and take in the surrounding valley from 2,300 feet above its floor.

Enjoy picturesque mountains as you continue traveling on Alaska's “Scenic Byway,” the Seward Highway. On arrival in Anchorage visit the Anchorage Museum of History & Art. Home to the Alaska

Gallery, the museum is a great way to explore Alaska's unique history and rich culture. Time is allowed for shopping in the Museum store, featuring the highest quality Alaska Native art, or to enjoy a snack in the café.

Archived