Celebrity Solstice Alaska cruise (8/26/16 - 9/2/16) review with many photos

Boxerlover2

We sailed to Alaska onboard the Solstice in September 2014 and Aug/Sept 2015 from Seattle. The first was on our own and the second time was with a group through the Celebrator Magazine on a "Brews Cruise". The second included special excursions and beer tastings, etc. It was great fun. I think there were 41 of us. The first one was also our first cruise EVER. We loved it!

Seeing your pictures and reading your review brings back all the good memories.

Thank you!

Cheryl Corcoran

Hi. Thanks for all your efforts to chronical your Alaska cruise. We're considering their June 2017 Seatle to Seattle cruise. Are you aware if the Soltsice has a cigar lounge? I enjoy a premium cigar & am finding it more difficult these days to be able to do just that. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am not aware that there is a cigar lounge on Solstice as Celebrity has limited smoking areas. I do know that I have witnessed many people smoking cigars at the Sunset Bar at the designated area for smokers. Others may be more helpful to let you know whether or not cigars are sold on the ship.

• 2 months later...

So enjoyed reading all of your review and seeing all of the pictures! We are traveling as a family of 7, we will be in balcony cabins, but not able to swing the suites for so many of us. I hope the main dining room is good. You mention going to the persian gardens everyday and paid $75 total for 6 days or per day? what is that for? Just to go there, or to use their spa facilities, can you please mention that.

Since you have been before to ALaska, what excursion would you recommend for our party of 7, 2 couples in their thirties, a 18 yr old and my husband and I in our late 50's in great physical health. Any info is greatly appreciated. We want it to be fun for them and excursions are pricey for a big group. Have you ever done a helicopter ride to a glacier etc. Thanks again for taking the time to write your review, it was very informative and helpful.

So enjoyed reading all of your review and seeing all of the pictures! We are traveling as a family of 7, we will be in balcony cabins, but not able to swing the suites for so many of us. I hope the main dining room is good. You mention going to the persian gardens everyday and paid $75 total for 6 days or per day? what is that for? Just to go there, or to use their spa facilities, can you please mention that.

Since you have been before to ALaska, what excursion would you recommend for our party of 7, 2 couples in their thirties, a 18 yr old and my husband and I in our late 50's in great physical health. Any info is greatly appreciated. We want it to be fun for them and excursions are pricey for a big group. Have you ever done a helicopter ride to a glacier etc. Thanks again for taking the time to write your review, it was very informative and helpful.

The Persian Garden pass allows you to use the spa facilities, including the relaxation lounge. The Persian Garden room includes heated tile loungers, steam room, sauna, and tropical showers. Depending on the ship, there may be more "chambers" in the Persian Garden - Celebrity Reflection is one of those ships (I enjoyed the cold room). The Relaxation Lounge on the Solstice class is located at the front of the ship with great views of the Ester; it has cushioned chairs and beds to relax on. This room is also used as a waiting area for individuals who have scheduled spa treatments.

In Juneau this past August, we did the float trip/whitewater rafting (booked through Celebrity) and that was fun and not very expensive. For our first time to Juneau a few years ago, we booked a 3-hr Mendenhall Glacier trek, which also included a helicopter ride to and from the glacier. This excursion (booked through Celebrity) was very pricey but it was worth every penny. They also offer shorter treks, if price is an issue. The helicopter ride over and through the glacier was amazing on its own too.

We did a float plane ride in Ketchikan our first time around. I can't remember the company that we used but I'm sure there are many wonderful companies that you can search for online or other threads may offer some information.

In Skagway, you can take the White Pass train ride or rent a car and drive up to Canada on the Klondike Highway, which also offers some scenic spots.

Unfortunately, Alaskan cruises and excursions are quite pricey. I hope that you will enjoy your cruise and visit to the various ports and beyond.

Wonderful review. Thanks to both you and your husband for your service to our country. How nice to read a review by a younger person who loves to cruise. I just turned 50 but consider myself young. Always nice to read a review by someone I feel closer to my age at least in spirit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a chance to get sea sick on this cruise as it goes out to the open ocean. This is our first cruise of this size and dont know what to expect. Please reply.

Thanks.

Scott Brodie

Ontario, Canada

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Ships can encounter rough seas, but not all the time. Seasickness or motion sickness can even be experienced by seasoned cruisers if they have low tolerance on motions. New cruisers may have a high tolerance.

Medicines to address motion sickness are available like Meclizine. Even if it is an over-the-counter medicine, best to consult your doctor to determine if it has any contra-indication to medications you currently take.

Edited by easyboy

Is there a chance to get sea sick on this cruise as it goes out to the open ocean. This is our first cruise of this size and dont know what to expect. Please reply.

Thanks.

Scott Brodie

Ontario, Canada

Welcome to Cruise Critic! My sister and I went on the Alaska cruise on Solstice last May. As we were coming back down from Alaska and in the open water we had some rough seas. I am very susceptible to motion sickness and I took a Bonine that morning and had absolutely NO issues at all with the rocky seas that day. We had a blast and enjoyed every minute of our trip and I am hoping you will too!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! My sister and I went on the Alaska cruise on Solstice last May. As we were coming back down from Alaska and in the open water we had some rough seas. I am very susceptible to motion sickness and I took a Bonine that morning and had absolutely NO issues at all with the rocky seas that day. We had a blast and enjoyed every minute of our trip and I am hoping you will too!!

Thats great news . My wife and I went on a day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to the Grand Bahamas a couple of years ago and I ended up in the infirmary basically for the whole trip due to my sea sickness and had to have a needle to put me out, so this has given me a very concerning feeling about cruises. I have been told by friends that taking the Alaskan cruise sticks to the inland passage and it wont be as rocky as most cruises. I am still a little weary in taking a cruise of this magnitude , so hoping your advice will quell some of that concern. Thanks so much. Have reserved a date of next July 2018 so have until then to lessen those concerns.

Edited by saturn08