Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Gem -- which ports are best for what?

pokerpro5

Hi everyone,

I will be on the Gem in November, on the Eastern Caribbean cruise leaving from Puerto Rico.

I am trying to figure out what to do during our five port stops, and am going a bit crazy.

Here are the 5 places we are stopping:

Barbados

Martinique

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

St. Thomas (Virgin Islands)

I know St. Kitts fairly well, though it's been 10 years since I've been there.

The other four places I know very little about.

Excluding St. Kitts, of the other four places, please answer the following if you can:

1) Which island(s) has the best beach for swimming? We will have two kids with us, aged 12 and 6. Would prefer something with calm, clear water if possible.

2) Which island has the best beach for snorkeling, which does NOT require a trip on a boat or plane to get to it?

3) Which island has the most interesting sightseeing? This would include all kinds of sightseeing, both natural and man-made.

4) Do any of these islands have areas where wildlife can be reliably seen? Note that I'm not looking for zoos or animal farms, but rather places one can go to see wildlife in a natural habitat.

I am NOT interested in shopping or kiddie activities, so please don't suggest either of those. Also, not looking for anything really physically challenging or dangerous, due to having a small child with us. An interesting hike would be cool, though.

I would post this on the individual Caribbean boards, but this is a question about all of the islands and trying to separate which place is best for what activity.

I would prefer to rent a car and drive to these things myself, but I am also open to using a tour company, provided it's a private tour. I don't want buses or tour vans shared with strangers.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

We love Godfrey Tours in St Thomas, can be with or without beach time or Coral world. Also in town in St Thomas there is a beautiful synagogue (very old and different). Near the port there is a Cruzan rum tasting booth--give a tip and taste away--so many different flavors.

St Marten we usually just take the water taxi into town and beach.

Safe sailing

We hired a taxi for the day in Martinique, he drove us through the rain forest and it was beautiful.

I wouldn't hire a car in St. Martin there is too much traffic. Great beach there though, powder sands and crystal clear water. The children might get a kick out of Maho Beach where the planes land right above the beach.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Hi everyone,

I will be on the Gem in November, on the Eastern Caribbean cruise leaving from Puerto Rico.

I am trying to figure out what to do during our five port stops, and am going a bit crazy.

Here are the 5 places we are stopping:

Barbados

Martinique

St. Kitts

St. Maarten

St. Thomas (Virgin Islands)

I know St. Kitts fairly well, though it's been 10 years since I've been there.

The other four places I know very little about.

Excluding St. Kitts, of the other four places, please answer the following if you can:

1) Which island(s) has the best beach for swimming? We will have two kids with us, aged 12 and 6. Would prefer something with calm, clear water if possible.

2) Which island has the best beach for snorkeling, which does NOT require a trip on a boat or plane to get to it?

3) Which island has the most interesting sightseeing? This would include all kinds of sightseeing, both natural and man-made.

4) Do any of these islands have areas where wildlife can be reliably seen? Note that I'm not looking for zoos or animal farms, but rather places one can go to see wildlife in a natural habitat.

I am NOT interested in shopping or kiddie activities, so please don't suggest either of those. Also, not looking for anything really physically challenging or dangerous, due to having a small child with us. An interesting hike would be cool, though.

I would post this on the individual Caribbean boards, but this is a question about all of the islands and trying to separate which place is best for what activity.

I would prefer to rent a car and drive to these things myself, but I am also open to using a tour company, provided it's a private tour. I don't want buses or tour vans shared with strangers.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

In St. Maarten Le Galion is known as the children's beach. Great for swimming.