Snorkeling in Curacao???

momofslg

We are on The Adventure of the Seas on 10/8/2006 and are to be in Curacao on 10/11/06. Are there any places to snorkel on this island? Where do you recomend we go? My husband thinks we should book our tours through RCCL, but I have heard to book locally, is this true? If there isn't anywhere to snorkel what do you recomend we do? 10/11/06 is our 10 year anniversary and we want to do something fun and special.

Your suggestions are welcome.

RENT A CAR!

My wife and I just returned and we rented a car, saw the ENTIRE island not just one beach, shopped, snorkled till we were water logged! It's easy to get around the island and it's small enough you can SEE IT ALL!!!!!!

NEVER, NEVER go for the ships excursions

You can do SOOOOOOOOOOO much more on your own for a lot less money, many times you can take the same trips the ship offers when you get to port for less money!

:)

See what I mean........

purple-fish.gifOkieCruisers user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_4685403", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Mary and Andre'

I Will be in Curacao two weeks from now and I plan to go out snorkeling with

caribseasports.com they are located on the beach of the Marriott a 7 munute cab right from the port. Check it out but Tom there is very friendly and will answer all your questions. I an very excited to try them. For $28 per person for a 4 hour boat tour is almost half as much as the 2 1/2 hour tour offered through the cruise line. I will let you know when I get back.

Mary and Andre

We checked our conformation one last time with carib sea sports right before leaving for our cruise. We were told yes we were on the list for that day to just head to there shop on the beach behind the Marriott. We did that morning all excited and they met us at the door and told us they were sorry that the boat was broke. They told us to just enojoy the beach and they would lone us any snorkeling gear to try it there. We had our own and were a little put out, we had that snorkeling trip planned for many weeks. About 30 minutes later, we watched them get in that "broken" boat with 3 scuba divers and took off. They lied to us and stood us up so I don't have any thing good to say about them. I hope you enjoy your cruise but just don't count on this group. We did however enjoy the rest of the day at the Marriott pool. The setting there is absolutley beautiful.

Glynna

• 1 month later...

Hi! Just returned from 2 weeks in Curacao (after cruising there a year ago we loved it so much we returned for a land trip!). Favorite snorkel Playa Kalki ($5 US for a chair) 2nd favorite Playa Porto Mari ($5 US per person includes chair & drink, $6 Sunday). Shallow to deep snorkling, tons of fish and coral, calm water, few boats. Also enjoyed Sea Aquarium (outside the rocks) but rougher water here and TOO MANY JET SKI'S! Saw Turtles, squid, lobster also. At Sea Aquarium the lagoon was clear one day and saw huge schools of fish (10,000 + ??).

Kalki is pretty far and would be an expensive Taxi, Porto Mari a little closer- and there were Flamingos along the way! We rented a car from a local: Desire'. Kalki was an hour from Sea Aquarium. Eat at Jaanchis if you go that way. A restaurant on the road, lovely man, interesting place, many plants and birds. GREAT food-- had fish and shrimp with Moro (local bean/rice mixture).

Loved Curacao! I grew gills from snorkeling so much!

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last year on a 10 day Sun Princess cruise. We did snorkeling at 5 ports and this was by far the best!!!! We did the snorkle trip thru the cruise and they took us to where there was a sunken tug boat. The fish there are use to being fed (bring some dry dog food with you) and they will all come around!!! Check it out... it will be worth it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on RCCL empress of the seas-they have a 3 hour approx. snorkel trip they call "spanish water snorkel expedition" cost is $42.00 per person. They take you to the sunken tugboat.

Was your princess snorkel trip a total of 3 hours long? Did you get enough snorkling time?

We will be in port in 2 months and would like to snorkel at the tug boat. Is it easy to find a tour off the ship? Where abouts is this tug boat located (what part/beach of the Island?). How much would a taxi cost to go to the beach near the tug boat? I understand the wreck is not far from the shore.

Thank you

Julie

Julie, The tugboat is at a beach off of Caracaasbaai Island by Fort Beekenburg. If you look on the map of Curacao, it lies on the southeastern side of the island. You have to pay about $3. a person to get into the area.

There is a private scuba diving shop there and the tug is off shore about 200' from the shop, but only about 25' from the shoreline. The tug is VERY small! :) The fish are magnificent! Bring a little bread in a plastic zip-lock baggie and feed them. They come in droves!

This is the best place we have seen to snorkel. You don't have to pay more than the $3. entrance fee pp to snorkel but if you want a chair on the beach, it's about $5. each. Snorkeling at the beach is fine too and they have free showers and a restaurant there too.

If you are daring, you could take a minibus from the bus station by the cruise pier and ask for the one that goes to Caracaasbaai. It will cost about $2.00pp for a one way trip. These little buses are great. But make sure you get the right one before leaving. Most locals speak English and I have found them to be very helpful if I needed directions.

I don't know how much a taxi would be.

Snorkeling is not that great at the Knip beaches, westward side of the island. Even though those are fabulous free beaches for swimming and scenery, Hurricane Lenny from 1999 caused quite a bit of damage to the corals, etc. There are some but it is not spectacular.

Hope that helps. :)

Archived