seasick on the america cup in st. maarten?

marjb36

Question for you cruisers who have done this excursion-how big is the sailboat? How calm would the water be in February in St. Maarten? My daughter and I both tend to get seasick on smaller boats-

this excursion sounds like so much fun and is so highly recommeded-

if we are ok on the cruise ship would we be able to handle this excusion, or is the sailboat small and 'rocky?"

our stomachs thank you!

Marjb

:confused:

Sailing is a little different than being beaten over the waves in a motor boat. It is more exhilerating, more wind in your face fun. Since the boat cuts through the water rather than over it, you may find that you are okay. Sometimes I've been known to be a bit queasy and this didn't bother me a bit. We had plenty of wind that day. There is so much excitement to working on the boat and trying to beat the other boat, that you tend to forget about everything else. the boats are 12 meter class, about 65 feet in length (I think that's what they told us). There is plenty of room for all on board and it's all stand up or lean against the sides fun. You can work or just ride. You must try this. Take a dramamine first if you must, but go for it. It is a lot of fun! Depending upon the age of your daughter, you may want to leave her in the play center if she's pretty small. If she's older, she'll remember this excursion as one that's lots of fun and can watch the newer boats during the Cup races on TV later!

I saw the america's cup from the lord sheffield. They looked like they were having great fun. I could definately feel more motion, the lord sheffield is a 70 ft briganteen twin-masted ship. It may be more sedate. You can check them out at www.lordsheffield.com.

This would be more appropriate for small children. The owners, who live on the ship, had an infant along. They only take 25 people so book early.

I took this trip and thought it was a blast. One of my best memories of cruising excursions. It is very fast, and the ship will lean very far over and go up and down into the waves. Expect to get wet. If your daughter is young and prone to get cold it will ruin both of your days.

My view would be DO IT ! !

A great trip, we had a blast and as for being sea sick, you don't get the chance, too busy racing the yacht to even notice the surroundings. You can of course tag along for the ride and not participate but I think this would be a shame, there is something for everyone, no matter their physical fitness or otherwise. Hard work would be the winch grinders... less tiring would be the person in charge of the coolbox for the beers and soft drinks.

Here is a link to the photos we took whilst on the trip.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/syhay/detail?.dir=6552&.dnm=69ab.jpg&.src=ph

I look forward to returning to St Maarten just t do this trip again.

By the way the boats are about 35 feet long. (12 metres).

Last January most of us had a terrific time on the America Cup boat (Canada II). However, the young woman sitting next to me felt quite queasy throughout the whole race.

I would suggest you take "Bomine" (Bonamine in Canada), before you leave the cruise ship. I works miracles on my wife, who's very vulnerable to sea sickness.

Peter

Thanks, everyone!!! I hate to disappoint you, but I am leaning towards

the excursion at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort-I think this is less risky all around as I have two young daughters-(no nudity and no seasickness!!!) Maybe next time!

Thanks for your help.

The America Cup in St.Maarten has been around for a LONG time -- good excursion! Our girls loved it when they were in their teens!

Crazy as it may sound, rather windy weather (within reason) is what you want! When you move RAPIDLY through the water with your face to the wind, it very unlikely you'll be seasick!

The only time MANY were seasick was then it was sooooooooo still (almost no wind) and the race was a bummer too. That very slow ~ up and down ~ and ~ up and down ~ and ~ up and down ~~~~~~ really got to lots of folks. Had to feel sorry for them.

If you enjoy active and exciting excursions, you'll love The America Cup!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived