Cayman Island After Wilma and the other Hurricanes

East Islander

I don't know about this hurricane, but when we went in May, the island was still pretty tore up. A lot of the restuarants weren't open and a lot of shops were not open.

The beach was fine. The trees and foliage on the island were ripped to shreads and you couldn't get to the other side of the island at all.

I did see some flooding on the news. I was hoping it wasn't worse than earlier this year.

Just got back after spending last week there. While the effects of Wilma & Beta were minimal it did force the cancellation of some water activities. Most major establishments in Georgetown are up & running. The major damage from Ivan last year was in the South & East areas of the island and many of the homes & businesses are still in ruin or in the process of being rebuilt. As mentioned, most foliage was stripped and most large trees toppled but many of the palms are getting fronds back. When we left on Saturday, the weather was improving and activities along SMB were getting back to normal and Stingray City trips were starting back up. One other thing, never saw the ferry running from the Hyatt to SRC so a drive will probably be neccessary.

Pic is of SMB on the 22nd.

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

480909309_7milebeach.JPG.72415765c36afd6021a2ea6da8bd5fc4.JPG

I don't know about this hurricane, but when we went in May, the island was still pretty tore up. A lot of the restuarants weren't open and a lot of shops were not open.

The beach was fine. The trees and foliage on the island were ripped to shreads and you couldn't get to the other side of the island at all.

I was in Cayman for two weeks last February and March. I'm afraid that I really have to disagree with much of what you have said and feel that I need to set it straight. Yes, the vegetation was pretty beat up at that time and yes, many buildings needed to be remodeled, repaired or rebuit -- and still do for that matter. Many restaurants were open when we were there (way back last Feb) and were reopening every day we were there. Most shops were open. To say that you couldn't get to the other side of the island at all in May is just plain wrong information. We went to the "other side of the island" many times last February.

Believe me, the Cayman Islands are absolutely ready for tourists again and have been for some time, and the typical tourist will not even see much effect from Ivan anymore.....We have been vacationing there for more than twenty years, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I want to assure you that it will be fine.

Don't worry and enjoy!

Charlene

Archived