Biking with a baby

toastyreward

Hi, my husband and I are active 30 year-olds looking for some mild adventure with our 16-month-old. We are thinking about renting bikes in Barbados and seeing the island that way. (We have a backpack carrier for our child) Is this advisable? Are the roads easy to ride on? Where should we rent from? Any route suggestions?

Thanks!

Liz

Living here and driving on the roads in Barbados daily, I would have to agree with cusyl. The roads are not smooth as glass, many bumps and pot holes prevail and honestly, people just don't know how to drive.

Try to think of something else to do. Take and Island tour and spend the rest of the day at one of our great beaches. I would recommend Accra Beach.

Everyone has said....hire a taxi, take a tour but don't rent a car. Roads are not very good, signage is almost non-existent and drivers arent too good either (altho I don't think anywhere could be worse than Jamaica). SO, if renting a car is not a good idea I would imagine riding a bike would be even worse and with a baby on back-nope. The buses sound pretty good from posts I have read if budget is a concern.... look around this thread - they are here.

Thank you,

We have biked all over the country with him, but only in safe areas. From your posts it is clear Barbados is not such a place, so we will take a tour. Do any of you have guides that you can recommend? What is the best beach if I'll be watching the baby and my husband will be snorkeling?

Thank you again,

Liz

Thank you,

We have biked all over the country with him, but only in safe areas. From your posts it is clear Barbados is not such a place, so we will take a tour. Do any of you have guides that you can recommend? What is the best beach if I'll be watching the baby and my husband will be snorkeling?

Thank you again,

Liz

I never said that Barbados wasn't safe, I just said that the roads aren't great and taking a baby through the narrow roads up and down hills that have pot holes on them, wouldn't likely be the best thing. There are some nice stretches of road, but I'm not sure I would still recommend it.

I would recommend Accra Beach for the beach but still possibly folkstone for snorkeling. There is also a playpark at both of these locations, so if you child gets tired of the beach, there are swings and slides etc.

I would always recommend taking a tour with the ship, but if not that try Bajan Tours. I try to get their information for you.

Enjoy

Archived