Singles Cruises - Bad for your relationship

MNJewels

Do you think it is wrong for a person who is in a relationship to go on a cruise as part of a singles group? I booked my trip because I want to go on this particular cruise. It will be my first time traveling alone so I wanted to go as part of a group. My boyfriend can't go because of child care issues and my friends can't afford it - so does that mean I don't go? Anyone else dealing with this??

A singles cruise is different than a group cruise in that I would expect to find married couples on a group cruise as well as single travelers. Seems like going on a singles cruise would imply that you are single and therefore available. You sound like you are not available. It will probably be important to take BF's feelings into account when deciding if you should go.

I'm married and I go on group dive trips solo as DW doesn't dive. There are usually single people on these trips, but it is still a group activity, kind of like a club thing.

The real question you have to answer is, "Do you think it is right/wrong for you to go on a singles cruise", and does BF agree with you.

Not only do you need to consider your BF feelings, but also consider how you will handle it when on the ship. Being part of a speciality group, including a singles group, implies that you meet the criteria and interest for that group. So other people in the group are going to expect that you are available and looking. You will need to decide how you will handle this. You might find that you feel more uncomfortable going as part of the singles group than if you did going alone.

If this is a cruise that you want to go on, you could consider booking it outside of the singles group (unless the singles group chartered the entire ship). Alternatively you could decide to go on another cruise with a more general group, like one of the Cruise Critic groups, which includes married couples, solo travlers, and singles.

As an experienced singles group cruiser I would have to say that like most things in life...you get out of it what you put into it. It is possible to cruise with a singles group and have a wonderful time without feeling pressured to "hook up" with anyone. It's also a lot of fun to have a gang to hang out with, dine with, go on excursions with etc...I always book with a singles agency because they always seem to have better deals than booking with the cruiselines directly...especially on solo cabins. If however, you are inclined to actually WANT to meet someone...there is a very good chance you will. When you cruise with a singles group you are implying that you are not in a relationship and are available. If I was in a serious relationship I would try to plan a cruise when both could go....that's what couples are supposed to do. There has to be other options for cruising to your destination. I would never agree to letting my girlfriend go on a singles cruise and hopefully she would respect my views. I certainly would never do that to her. If you do decide to go by yourself and nothing happens it may still cause some problems in your relationship. If there is still time, cancel the cruise and plan one together...or at least try to find a "solo traveler" group, which is much different that a singles group.

• 3 weeks later...
As an experienced singles group cruiser I would have to say that like most things in life...you get out of it what you put into it. It is possible to cruise with a singles group and have a wonderful time without feeling pressured to "hook up" with anyone. It's also a lot of fun to have a gang to hang out with, dine with, go on excursions with etc...I always book with a singles agency because they always seem to have better deals than booking with the cruiselines directly...especially on solo cabins. If however, you are inclined to actually WANT to meet someone...there is a very good chance you will. When you cruise with a singles group you are implying that you are not in a relationship and are available. If I was in a serious relationship I would try to plan a cruise when both could go....that's what couples are supposed to do. There has to be other options for cruising to your destination. I would never agree to letting my girlfriend go on a singles cruise and hopefully she would respect my views. I certainly would never do that to her. If you do decide to go by yourself and nothing happens it may still cause some problems in your relationship. If there is still time, cancel the cruise and plan one together...or at least try to find a "solo traveler" group, which is much different that a singles group.

I agree with the above. I do not think it would be fair to the single men such as myself who would be looking for a single woman. But the real question is are you consciously or unconsciously really looking to meet someone because you are not happy with your relationship? Greg

I just got off my 6th singles cruise and I do have a boyfriend that a met on another singles cruise in april 2005 iam doing my 7th in april which he's going with me.He didn't go on the halloween cruise I went by myself with a singles group.I would never cancell a singles cruise just because I had a boyfriend even if he wanted me too.If any guy told me not to go on a singles cruise then he would be gone.Not everyone goes on a singles cruise to hook up.I go to meet other singles and party with them for week and sometimes you become lifetime friends.I woundn't worry about having a boyfriend or girlfriend just go and have fun.

Jen/ct

• 1 month later...

You sound like you want to go on this particular cruise for the cruise experience - and not to meet someone. I think that's fine! Even though you are in a relationship, you're not married. If you were, that's where I'd "draw the line."

If you don't "flirt" and make your intentions known up front, I see no reason to pass up this cruise. Besides, you might make some wonderful friendships. Even though agencies have singles cruises, they are usually a smaller part of a cruise. Did you consider just booking the cruise outside of the singles agency? If you do so, you won't be invited to the special receptions, etc...

Discuss it with your boyfriend, and go and have fun! It's your life and you aren't hurting anyone.

Do you think it is wrong for a person who is in a relationship to go on a cruise as part of a singles group? I booked my trip because I want to go on this particular cruise. quote]

It's fine if you go. If he trusts you, it shouldn't even be an issue. More people are going on singles cruises because they are cruising single. They want to vacation but there isn't anyone who is available to go with them and they don't want to hang out alone. I've been on 5 singles cruises myself and just because you go on one, doesn't mean you're trying to hook up with someone. It's your vacation, you make the trip, so if you want to sleep with a different person every other hour, you could probably do it. Me, I just party hard, party late, and meet alot of cool and crazy people in the process. :-)

Archived