fish market?

cefcdana

I have read that there is a market in Progreso. My husband has never experienced a fish market and would like to. Would the market in Progreso fulfill this desire? If so, how much time would you allow for this?

We will be there in a couple of weeks on a Thursday.

In Progreso there is the Mercado Municipal. It is across the street from the lighthouse on Calle 78 a block from the AutoProgreso Terminal. The market has a fresh meat and fish section. It is not a large market, but there are usually five or six fish vendors selling local catch depending on the season. There is also a fresh fruit and vegetable section as well as numerous food stands selling local fresh foods.

If you want a large fresh food market, you have to go to Merida to the Mercado Lucas de Galvez. It is huge and can take several hours to explore.

Thank you for such great information!!! So helpful! Maybe we will check out the large market in Merida. What is the best way to get there- do you know? Any guidelines of what to eat and not eat there in order to avoid "Montezuma's revenge"?

In order to see the Merida market you can take the AutoProgreso bus to Merida and walk to the market. We take the bus since we do not have to worry about our cruise ship leaving without us. Your could make arrangements with a Progreso cab driver. However, I think the best way would be to contact William Lawson Tours. They can customize a tour for you. They have excellent guides and drivers.

Food vendors change at the market so it is hard to recommend any one place. I usually stand back and watch the cooks. I like vendors that cook food on order and is served hot. A line of locals waiting for food is a good sign. I think the best way to avoid travelers stomach problems is to keep your hands clean when you eat. Carry and use hand sanitizer whether on shore or on the ship.

The AP buses run every 15 or 20 minutes during the day. There may be a schedule, but I just walk up, buy a ticket and wait for the next bus. AP offers a self guided excursion to Merida. Look on their web site for information about the excursion.

• 5 weeks later...