A very different reason to buy insurance - Need help

wintercolor

We (family of 4) are planning to go on a 7 day cruise in December. My parents live in another continent and my dad is fighting cancer. If needed I might need to travel to my country in December to support/help my family. In that case, we won't be cruising anymore. Which insurance should I buy for such a scenario when I might need to cancel my trip? Have any of you ever been in such a situation? What other precautions did you take to make your planning stress-free?

I am not sure if this criteria is even covered in any insurance and am not sure where to look for it. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would contact a good cruise/travel agent and get expert advice. I know that is why I have a travel agent. She is an online agent, not with a Company that a million people have heard of. But she is great, does not cost me a dime! But gives us GREAT service and GREAT peace of mind.

After researching travel insurance through a number of different sources, I went with a company recommended here, on the cruise/travel insurance forum (listed under cruise discussion topics). Steve from tripinsurancestore dot com specifically asked me questions similar to yours, when helping me choose the right insurance for our family. That wasn't an issue for us, so didn't follow up on it, but it was certainly on his radar. Perhaps you would need "cancel for any reason insurance?"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A common question an insurer will ask is: is there any "known" reason why you would need to cancel.

In this case, there is a reason. If an immediate family member is connected to the reason, this can often be allowed... (eg: yr father may cause you to cancel).

But you MUST inform the insurer at time of taking out policy. Only the insurer can decide if they deem yr situation a risk to insure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are plans that allow for cancellation due to pre-existing conditions of family members not travelling on the cruise, but there may be restrictions such as timing of the policy purchase. Cancel-for-any reason may be an alternative, but they also have restrictions.

The best thing to do is to talk directly to an agent such as insuremytrip.com or Steve at tripinsurancestore.com. Tell them exactly what you need, and they can help you find the appropriate policy.

A travel agent is likely to sell you a policy available to her company, but it may not be the best for your situation. Talk to an actual insurance agent who is knowledgable and has several insurance companies to choose from.

Edited by Babr