To wetsuit or not to wetsuit in Eastern Caribbean dive?

flossgal

First, thanks for all the great info from all the other threads. My BF and I are getting certified in the COLD Pacific before we leave for our cruise on the Navigator 11/19. We will be first time divers to the area and plan to dive in St.Thomas and Nassau. We plan on renting the equip. (not googles, fins and snorkel) I'm an "ice-princess"...always cold and he's so-so temp wise. Any suggestions on anything ( outfitters, dive places, etc) would be super helpful! Thanks!

We just got certified in the L.A. area this weekend and I'm glad I had a dry suit! My thoughts are is to just bring it with you especially if you get cold. I tried on my wet suit in the scuba school pool which is probably heated to the 70's and once underwater I was happy to have on the suit. We're taking our wet suits to Tahiti next week and will bring them to the Carib next January. so far we've only snorkled in the Carib so no suggestions other than checking with your local dive master for referrals, the dive magazines or do a specific search on this site. Have fun!

Ditto. Not only will you want a wetsuit for a little bit of warmth, but you'll want it for the exposure protection from marine hazards.

As a recommendation, dive with Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas. They were wonderful on our cruise a year ago and we had a great time. We dove with Nassau Scuba Centre in Nassau, and unfortunately they went out of business. I've heard Stuart Cove is basically the only game in town now.

I'll be in the Caribbean in Jan/Feb. Should I take my 3mm full or my 3mm shorty? I don't get very cold. I have used a 3mm shorty in Hawaii in 75 degree water and was quite comfortable. However, I have also used my 3mm full and was not too warm, but also quite comfortable. I used my 3mm shorty in Tahiti.

A guided shore dive at Coki Beach is an excellent place for beginners and is less expensive than boat dives. http://www.cokidive.com is on site there. It is also good if you are traveling with a mixed group of divers/non-divers.

10X, if you were comfortable in Hawaii in a shorty, the only reason to take your full to the Caribbean would be for physical protection from the sun and/or pokey things. Personally, I'd go with the full, but you'll probably be just fine in either.

I plan on going in December to the Eastern Caribbean. Would just a 3mm full wetsuit be enough or a diveskin or both?
I would plan on water temp of around 80f +/- 1 degree. I'd wear at least the full suit. If you get cold easily, add a beanie.

We just got back from a dive in Roatan. I used a 3mm farmer bottom and a UV diveskin shirt and felt comfortable down to 70 feet on a two-tank dive. This was a couple of days after Wilma and the DM said the water was colder.

Dave

We just got back from a dive in Roatan. I used a 3mm farmer bottom and a UV diveskin shirt and felt comfortable down to 70 feet on a two-tank dive. This was a couple of days after Wilma and the DM said the water was colder.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I hope to take some great underwater pictures.

Fire coral is the biggest thing to think about it seems in the caribbean. It is floating in the water. Although I haven't got it or known anyone personally I always wear a "skin" and so does hubby. It is a thin material that covers you. Mine is lined because I get cold. Dive instructor told us he highly recommended it all the time and one couple on a trip to Cozumel decided they weren't going to wear one and instead dove in T-shirts and they got fire coral on them the first day diving and he said couldn't dive the rest of the trip.... :) Debbie

Nobody can tell YOU what YOU need.

1) If you tend to get cold then wear a full 3mm suit

2) If you don't get cold and want some protection from reefs and jellyfish then wear a 3mm shortie (won't protect your legs), or a full dive skin

3) If you want to throw caution to the wind and you don't get cold then dive in your bathing suit

I've done all three in the Caribbean and enjoyed all of the experiences. I've never run into jelly fish, and if your bumping into coral you better take a buoyancy class. If jelly fish are in the area the dive masters can tell you that an you can rent one of their wetsuits. You'll find that most dive master will wear wetsuits. If you discuss it with them they will probably indicate that since they dive 3 dives every day they need them to keep their body temps up. There is a lot of good advise but the decision is yours. Just an example. When I traveled to the Caribean(Coz) with my family my wife was in a bathing suit, I had on a 3mm shortie, and my daughter got cold in a 5mm full suit.Good luck on your decision.

Since I don't own a wet suit, can I count on the Dive Tour having one available to rent? I'm only going to have one day available for diving in Grand Cayman, so I hate to pack a bunch of gear for two dives.

Thanks for all the information,

Mike:confused:

Since I don't own a wet suit, can I count on the Dive Tour having one available to rent?
Not sure about the ship's excursion having wet suits available. When they say gear included in the shore excursion description, that usually means only BC and reg. setup in addition to tanks/weights.

If you make your own arrangements, most operatorw will either have wet suits you can rent or can get one for you if they know in advance you want one.

• 2 weeks later...

I found in warm water such as Caribbean, a diveskin is good enough. It is much more flexible and much easier to pack. I believe a high quality diveskin is all you need for keeping your body temperature as well as protecting you from sun, jelly fish, etc.

Mine is a Mares and it has been over 10 years I own it. It works fine for me.

Archived