Best snorkel in St.Thomas/St. John?

snorkelcrazy

:) Does anyone know where the best spots for snorkelling would be that are not overly crowded? We will be in St. Maarten, St. Thomas on a cruise. We heard that Trunk Bay is good, but might be crowded. Is Sapphire Beach good for snorkelling? Thanks for any info.

We have been to Sapphire twice. One time the snorkeling was pretty good, but you have to swim around alot to find fish. The other time there were not a lot to see. The beach is beautiful and peaceful. Coki has superb snorkeling, but go early because it gets crowded. Go there early, and if the crowds get to you, move to Sapphire. Coki is $7 pp for a taxi, and it will be about $3 pp to move to Sapphire. They are very different from each other and one should be enjoyable.

We went to Trunk Bay about 4 years ago. It wasn't very crowded at all. Snorkeling was great! Water was great! We are going back to St. Thomas next month and I can't decide if I want to go back to St. John's or stay on St. Thomas and enjoy their beaches.

Beachbuddy

I really enjoyed Trunk Bay a few weeks ago. I have done a lot of snorkeling around the carribean especially Antiqua. Trunk was not very crowded the day I went.

Trunk is my vote too. Scenery on the island is beautiful and boat ride over is great.:p

:) Does anyone know where the best spots for snorkelling would be that are not overly crowded? We will be in St. Maarten, St. Thomas on a cruise. We heard that Trunk Bay is good, but might be crowded. Is Sapphire Beach good for snorkelling? Thanks for any info.

Several years back my husband and I took the ferry from Red Hook, St. Thos. over to St. John. At the little town on St. John where the ferry docks, we boarded a St. John bus (for $1.00 I think) and rode with the locals all over the island until we came to Salt Pond Bay. We had to walk a few hundred yards down a rugged road to the beach. The snorkelling was HEAVENLY -- I saw a lobster, something I've never seen before or since in all of my Caribbean snorkelling. There were no showers or bathroom facilities. After a couple of hours we dragged ourselves back up the rugged road to the highway. Luckily, there were several vendors parked there and we bought bottled water (we had drained ours earlier). The St. John Island bus finally showed up and we had another long, meandering bus ride back to the port. The bus ride took about an hour each way, maybe a little less. If you do this, don't bring too much cash and make sure what you do bring is all in small bills, $1's and $5's.

Archived