Thomson Discovery tips / dining

Hi,

We are sailing on Thomson Discovery in Jan17.

Can anyone tell me:-

Are tips payable on Board?

Do you need to book a table in the main evening meal restaurant 47* or is it 'free' dining i.e. no booking or fixed dining times?

Do they do a "formal night" where Dinner Jacket required?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Tips are all included on Thomson ships however we tipped those staff that we thought worked hard (cabin steward, waiter and particular bar staff). No fixed dining times in Gallery 47 although it gets busiest around 8pm. We went early and got a table for 2 no problem. They do a Dress to Impress night which we did not attend but did see people dressed up for it. All dining rooms accept dress jeans and shirts for men. The Surf and Turf Restaurant and Kora La Restaurant you pay extra for which you need to book (can be booked once boarding ship as they get busy). There are self service machines near reception where you can make dinner reservations and also check balances etc. Hope this helps. If you need any more info just reply. We are just back off the Discovery and had a great time. x

Hi,

We are sailing on Thomson Discovery in Jan17.

Can anyone tell me:-

Are tips payable on Board?

Do you need to book a table in the main evening meal restaurant 47* or is it 'free' dining i.e. no booking or fixed dining times?

Do they do a "formal night" where Dinner Jacket required?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

The tips are already included in your fare but if you think a crew member has given you exceptional service you can tip if you want.

the main dining room 47* and the Italian restaurant gallery 47* have no fixed times, just turn up when you like. Ask the receptionist for a table for whatever number and if there is one available the waiter will take you there. If there is no table available you have the choice of taking a pager and they will page you when there is a table available. as far as I remember you can't just walk into the restaurant like you can on other Thomson ships.

Surf & Turf and Kora La are the two cover charge restaurants and it is a good idea to book early as they are very popular.

There is also the Glass House next to the indoor pool with a free menu plus a cover charge one in the evening - no need to book.

finally you have the Islands Buffet which has the serveries as islands. no more queuing while someone examines every chip :mad:

edit - no formal night as such but there is a dress to impress night but no compulsion.

Edited by davecttr