Serenade or Vision for Alaska -- which one?

I am wondering which ship you experienced cruisers here would recommend for a cruise to Alaska.

My husband and I took our first cruise about 6 weeks ago and had a great time (Empress of the Seas) -- we are looking to book shortly for a cruise to Alaska next year. The only ships with itineraries that interest us are Serenade OTS and Vision OTS -- prices are fairly comparable as are itineraries. So when it comes down to it, it's just a matter of which ship we would prefer. I'm a little disappoint that there is neither a Chops nor a Portofino on Vision, but that is not a deal breaker. And we have no children, so those activities don't make a difference to us.

Anyone who has sailed on both -- which do you prefer?

We did Serenade to Alaska in July 2004. We had a fabulous time and the ship was beautiful. It was only about 7 months old at that time, so you can imagine it was in near perfect shape. Be sure and book an outside cabin if your budget allows. We sat on the balcony with blankets and drank hot chocolate while going through the glaciers. Also, we saw lots of whales right outside our cabin balcony.

INHO, Chops was much better than Portifino's. We actually went twice. The first time we went, one of the people in our group got sick and had to go back to his cabin. Because we wanted him to enjoy that meal, so we booked another dinner there later in the week.

Have fun and happy cruising.

We took the Vision southbound this year. It was the only ship making one way trips this year. But I've heard it will going on the round trip route next year. I had wanted to take one of the radience class ships but they were just not traveling the route we wanted to take. So I guess it depends on if you want a round trip or north/south bound cruise. We had five days pre-cruise in Alaska and then south on the Vision. I can highly recommend this way of going if you desire to see the interior of Alaska. With the round trip cruises you are limited to seeing Canada pre or post cruise. Also, it was nice to unpack and stay put for seven nights after being in 4 hotels in 5 nights and with two sea days you are able to get in some relaxation time at the end of your trip.

We did Vision this June and loved it, there weren't many kids on board and the ship never seemed crowded. With all the glass, you have views every minute, and yes, we saw whales everyday. But it was the Captain and his crew that pushed this cruise beyond our expectations. I doubt you'd have Capt George since RCI is about to rotate the captains.

tough call IMO. I like that Vision sails from Seattle but I prefer the Radiance class ships for variety.

We were recently on Brillaince with is the same class ship as Serenade. I really loved the outdoor covered seating for the windjammer. I also absolutely LOVED the Seaview cafe. The Colony Club was wonderfully decorated and a great place to sit and watch the wake from the ship.

On the other hand sailing from Seattle would be wonderful if you plan on sticking around for a couple of days after or before the cruise. Flying in and out of Seattle tends to be less expensive than flying in and out of Vancouver and is less problematic with imigration. Seattle is a wonderful town and worthy of two or three nights exploration in and of itself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sailing Vision of the Sea's but, if I'm choosing this trip exclusively based upon the ship, then I would choose Serenade.

We did the Serenade last year and this year again...and loved it both times. This year we had an aft balcony...what a way to go!!! Vancouver is an awesome place. I would love to spend more time there pre or post cruise. The three ports, Misty Fjords, and Hubbard glacier are all great stops. We have fallen in love with Skagway. Each port offers something a little different as far as excursions, although shopping was basically the same we thought. The ship itself, our favorite of the three we have been on. Christmas will be #5 on it....so that should speak on behalf of the ship and crew, both are wonderful. As someone already stated, it is more expensive to fly into Vancouver...and we have done it both ways, Seattle then bus to Vancouver and direct to Vancouver. We prefer the latter. We have not been on the Vision, but I am sure it would be great too. It would be hard to go wrong on an Alaskan cruise.

The Serenade is part of the Radiance series, which are considered the most beautiful ships at seas. The Serenade is bigger, with a better Solarium pool complex, a bigger and more dramatic centrum, a bigger and better rear lounge complex, both of the new speciality extra cost restaurants, a much better Windjammer with a dozen or so food stations and so on. It is also 5 years younger. I would go with the Serenade in a heartbeat, if the two ships were sailing similar routes for the same price. From the posts here I see that they are doing different runs in Alaska so that factors in other stuff which only you can weigh. Mind, if the other factors make you decide on the Vision, it is still an attractive ship and is by no means functionally obsolete.

We sailed the Vision to the Mexican Riviera in December 2001, the Serenade in Dec 2004 to the Southern Caribbean and the Vision's stretched cousin the Enchantment to Canada this past September, so I have recent memories of both types of ship.

David

...for your input. I appreciate it.

It doesn't really matter to us where the ship leaves from, as we are more than likely not going to be able to extend the trip due to constraints on time off from work. And we are definitely only interested in a round trip route for this time around.

Sounds to me like Serenade has more amentities and is a newer ship. I will take a closer look at both itineraries and talk to hubby about it.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. This board is very helpful for a newbie like me!

...for your input. I appreciate it.

It doesn't really matter to us where the ship leaves from, as we are more than likely not going to be able to extend the trip due to constraints on time off from work. And we are definitely only interested in a round trip route for this time around.

Sounds to me like Serenade has more amentities and is a newer ship. I will take a closer look at both itineraries and talk to hubby about it.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. This board is very helpful for a newbie like me!

We considered both ships for Alaska next year too. The Vision was a little cheaper, but we decided that we liked the Serenade's itinerary better. We wanted to see Ketchikan and Hubbard Glacier as Hubbard is supposed to be more dramatic than Tracey Arm, and ships often are iced out of Tracey Arm. Vision does hit Icy Straight as a port which is supposed to more true Alaska and far less commercialized than the other ports. However, since the Serenade sails out of Vancouver there will be more true inside passage sailing than open ocean sailing which occurs sailing out of Seattle. We are planning to fly into Seattle because it's much cheaper and then take Amtrack to Vancouver.

If the departure city does not matter and I hadn't already done Serenade's itenerary twice, I'd be sailing Serenade. The radiance class ships are wonderful ships and destinations in themselves. The ports are very interesting and, if you haven't already seen Hubbard Glacier is one of those things you really should see.

Archived