secret beach

goingagain

• 3 weeks later...

You won't find it on any tourist maps, but it's on the south east coast near a town called Riviere Cyrique, which is not far from La Plaine. You have to hike in and climb along some cliffs to get there. Not that easily accessible.

You're pic didn't show, but I'm guessing it's this one?

secret2.jpg.168d88f814e19d2f8d4a227f48184ffc.jpg

Wow. Anyone have any more detailed directions to this beach?

Four of us are there on Christmas Day with the NCL Spirit. We're doing a Ti-Tou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls tour in the morning but this would be great to do in the afternoon.

Now that's what I call Christmas ;o)

Beaches and Waterfalls!!!

• 7 months later...

Secret Beach hike

We rise with the sun, which we do for the for the rest of the trip. After a quick breakfast, we’re off. The first spot on our day’s plan is the Emerald Pool – a waterfall and pool close to 3 Rivers. The Emerald Pool is a popular day-tour for cruise ship guests but otherwise, the site is usually empty. When we arrive, the lot is full of mini-busses, all crammed with tourists. It is obviously a Cruise Ship Day.

We immediately turn around, and head towards a beach only accessible by a steep, muddy climb down the side of a cliff. There's no formal name. We call it "Secret Waterfall Beach".

After following driving directions that are to remain secret (hush! hush!), we find the trail at the top of a cliff and begin our hike down the cliff. The trail becomes muddier and steeper as we descend, until it is obvious that we can no longer proceed by foot. A thick rope is tied to a nearby tree branch, dangling down a steep incline. This is the only way down.

The rest of the hike consists of rappelling down the muddy cliff, climbing along the rock face with the rope as a support, and crawling through the vertical tangle of slippery vines and tree roots. It is slow-going and by the end, we are smeared with mud. However, the reward is fantastic.

When we arrive at the bottom of the cliff, we emerge from the jungle and onto a deserted black-sand beach.

A cascade of water plummets over the cliffs and crashes onto the pounding surf, 130 feet below. Palms trees bow over the water. The black volcanic sand is strangely dense and heavy.

I sit for a while in awe of the sight, but in the back of my mind, I know that there's only one way to get back to the car. And that's to go back the same way we came in.

The ascent is actually much easier than the descent. The danger of slipping on the slippery wet cliffside is less when climbing up, and the trail is now familiar. Nonetheless, I’m grateful for my small amount of previous rock-climbing experience, as it certainly proved useful on this hike.

I think if you take the time - you could THIS - and not miss the boat (assuming you're OK with rock/mountain climbing). Highly question trying to get in a Ti-Tou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls tour, too.

426594824_climbdown.jpg.5568f9378cce37687c2534f9247df8ba.jpg

126165091_climbdown2.jpg.a274815362f50e8106b7f4da405039a8.jpg

285473469_Secretbeachsmall.jpg.c10082eee65c576a0dd2b4722979ec0f.jpg

http://www.visit-dominica.com/querydetail.cfm?Id=302

Secret Beach Attractions Type: Beaches Map Ref: NW

Portsmouth, Dominica

Hidden beach near Portsmouth, reached after a tricky climb down a cliff-side.

http://rossmed.drbuschman.com/dominicapics.htm

Secret Beach

Just a little ways South of the school you will find this hidden beach blocked off from land by the cliff you see. You can get there by hiking in if you know where you are going or you ask for a ride. You can get a boat to take you from either Coconuts (cheaper) or from the inlet to Indian River. If you get a boat ride from a guy at the Indian River make plans to pay him when he picks you back up just to be safe.

It's not really SW but way up north - and remember - these aren't freeways!

Make sure you have airfare with you to catch up with the ship at the next port!

1299644234_SecretBeach2.jpg.2f745bb7a5340e1ca190ca938a5ae831.jpg

461062457_SecretBeach3.jpg.2365ebd85cfbd339fcda00c921db70a4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess if anyone had directions and posted them it wouldn't be a secret!:p Just kidding!

From all I've read, it's an hour or so north of Roseau. My previous posts gave reviews and links to some who have been there. Best bet is hire a reliable guide to take you (assuming you can rock/mountain climb). This is NOT the island to rent a car and go on your own (which I have done on like 20 other islands). Email around and see who will take you and for how much.

I want to do it myself but will plan a trip there for it.

More info:

Hiking to the Secret Beach. After a forty-five minute walk, followed by a difficult tree-root descent from a cliff, you reach the Secret Beach. Here you will see a magnificent waterfall cascading from 130 feet off the cliff directly into the ocean. The beach can also be reached by boat, and, again, you will not find this special place on the general tourist maps. This hike is not easy and is only for those that have absolutely no fear of heights and who are reasonably fit.

secret_beach.jpg

secretbeach.jpg

secret2.jpg

46415037-L.jpg

Hey Bran Beno wrote me back and said he could do it but we havent discussed any particulars yet. I told him that as of right now its only me but that could change and I would let him know. I also asked him how much it would be per person for a ride/guide. I'll keep you posted, let me know if you might be interested.

O-H!:cool:

Cruisesquatch,

Any more details from Beno? It seems that the secret beach is on the NW side of the island, but most of the tourist spots are towards the south side. Maybe that's why the beach is still a secret. This sounds very tempting, but I'm thinking that maybe I should see the major sites first on my first trip to Dominica. Maybe there's time to do both?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Have heard so much about the secret beach, and now, after seeing these beautiful pictures, am torn between "hoping" to see whales, or really seeing this beautiful place. I still have not booked our shore excursions on any island except St Thomas. The more I read, the more I want to do ...everything:confused:

I found a gypsy cab driver who would've taken us there and it would not have cost 150$ (shocking!). He said he would charge 50$ for a roundtrip deal, but it is about an hour and a half one way from the docks. I was with a group of four other people and by the time I remembered to ask our guide, he said we could go but we wouldnt be able to hang out on the beach and get back to our ship in time.

If 150$ is in YOUR budget then by all means go for it. If its not, just ask some of the other cab drivers outside the gazebo, after you wade through all the "official" cab/tour drivers. Believe it or not there are more than two tour guides on this place. And yes, they ALL drive like maniacs. And they literally fight for your business. Lots of competition.

If the gypsy drivers are also charging big bucks to go there, you would be better off using Beno who is known to be totally professional and reliable. There have been many excellent recommendations (including my own) regarding Beno. The cost is high because you are the only one going, if you could get others to join, obviously your cost would go down. In any case, if anyone does do this, please post your experiences. It sounds amazing.

Archived