Mexican Riviera ports of call

catladytx

what information does anyone have on great tours and expeditions available besides the tour packages? Also, what information can anyone share on ship excursions for adults? I have always gotten my best info from the boards; so I am counting on you. I suspect there is already a thread and roll call going and I just did not get far enough. Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi Catlady,

We did this cruise last spring on the Diamond and *loved* it. To be quite honest, before going on the cruise, I thought, "Well, the ports will be so-so. Luckily we're gonna be on a great ship." During/after the cruise, I kept thinking how fantastic all the ports were and how I can't wait to go back! Hope you have the same experiences...here is what we did...

Puerto Vallarta - we booked the ship's "Puerto Vallarta Beach Break" excursion. I remember it wasn't very pricy, but well worth it. They bused us to the Paradise Village resort complex, where we spent the day on a very beautiful beach with full use of the huge resort facilities. (tons of great pools, hot tubs, massages, etc.) An extensive buffet lunch was included, as well as 2 drinks of your choice (alcoholic or sodas, etc.). Very nice way to spend the day.

Mazatlan - oh, what an adventure. Prior to the cruise, we planned to just take a taxi to the El Cid resort in the Golden Zone and purchase a day pass. However, when you get off the port tram into the shopping area (mandatory), time share hawkers from various resorts sort of bombard you with offers. We stopped by the El Cid booth to inquire as to the best way to get there, and the lady tried to sell us a timeshare, but we declined. She was still very nice and gave us an armband that would bypass the need to purchase a day pass. We shopped around at the port area for awhile, then went back to the ship to change into our swimwear. When we got off the tram the second time, the Inn at Mazatlan folks caught us for their timeshare speech. We thought about it, and decided we would take them up on the offer--you have to listen to a "30-minute presentation" in exchange for: free taxi to/from the hotel, free bottled water, all the food & beverages (including alcohol) you want, and use of facilities, beach chairs, etc. We decided it might be worth it and hopped in the cab they arranged for us. When we got to the resort, we were instructed to wait in the lobby for our tour guide. (Very gorgeous resort, by the way.) While waiting, we spotted a couple from our ship that we met in the dining room one day during lunch. They advised us to get out asap, because their tour had been well over an hour and they STILL hadn't been released for the all-inclusive package for listening. So, we offered to reimburse the resort for our cab fare (they declined), and we walked next door to El Cid, our original plan. Good thing--it was great...got a free palapa and some chairs right on the water, and had a great lunch in their open-air restaurant, La Concha. (Moral of this story - skip the timeshare unless you really are interested.)

Cabo San Lucas - we took another ship excursion here, the Chileno Bay Snorkeling, or whatever it was called. It was FABULOUS! Almost as good as some of our great Alaska excursions. We were on a beautiful catamaran, the Tropicat, and we went out for some great snorkeling. On the way back, there were snacks and open bar, and the party was hopping. I certainly wouldn't call it a booze cruise or a party boat...just a really fabulous time with people of all ages (few kids, since it was open-ocean snorkeling). We had an absolute blast, and the crew was great.

It's hard to tell from the description, but the 40 min boat ride to the arches in Cabo San Lucas was on a nice, modern, 2 story white boat and was really fun (and cheap). Sit on the bow itself for the best ride. You can extend it with a beach break if you want, we didn't so not sure how it was. I saw lots of ppl booking glass bottom boat rides, wave runners and parasailing on their own if you want. Market place at the pier is overpriced and touristy imo. They bargain, but not as much as they did in Mazatlan (or maybe I just got used to it later on).

Mazatlan is divided into districts with their own character. If you want to shop, or want a touristy experience (that's not bad sometimes) go to the Gold Zone I heard. We went to old Mazatlan in a pulmonia (open air taxi) from the pier, where there is a local market, an old catherdral built in the 1800's and such. It's dirty, smelly, busy and very interesting. Hint, walk outside the main pier area to rent your taxi and they will be cheaper.

We did Los Caletas as a ship tour in Puerta Vallarta and I would highly recommend it. It wasn't authentic Mexico perhaps but it was absolutely gorgeous, had a friendly staff, and lots to do (or quiet places to find a hammock and do nothing). Activites are included in the price, things like snorkelling, kayaking, nature hikes, Paella demonstration. Lifeguards are present. Tame parrots flew through the trees and provided a tropical sound. Lunch was good. Best Margaritas I ever had and they keep them coming (included). They're strong, do your beach/water stuff first ;)

Have fun!:)

We sailed the DP last January. We took the Canopy tour in Puerta Vallarta. Don't miss it, it is awesome! In Mazatlan we took the tour with Frank in the morning and rode Randi's horses in the afternoon. Both were great. Randi doesn't advertise an afternoon trip but if you email her she might do it for you. We did both these trips on our own and the prices were reasonable.

Search the boards for info on Frank and Randi......some people revere her like a saint, but she is just a savvy business woman. Enjoy your trip.

I also am going on Dawn Princess Mexican Riveria January 19. I have a few questions if anyone out there can help. First we on the aloha deck port side What type of weather should I expect in San Fran..Catalina Island and San Diego. I have heard alot about the tour with Frank...is that what it is called on the Princess excurisions? What are the chances of Princess upgrading to a mini suite if the ship is not full? What type of clothes should I bring for the first few ports (San Fran etc.) Are the balconies really tiny? Any help or good or bad past experiences would be helpful and much appreciated!!!

Archived