Sw

LM81

Hi Everyone!!

I know this is a dumb question, but, I have never flown without a paper ticket before. We are goint to tampa via South West. I know I can check in 24hrs in advance and print out our boarding passes, but where do I go when I get to the airport? (I will be checking some luggage). Do I do the same thing I would do if I already had a paper ticket?

Not a dumb question-you do the same as if you had a paper ticket,either check luggage at curbside or at SW counter and then go thru security like a paper ticket. Checking in 24 hours before gets you in an A or B boarding group and saves time at the airport.

Be sure to print out your boarding pass as soon as you can (24hours). SW doesn't assign seats. The pass will have your group letter. They load by groups...A, B, C. If you get your pass at the airport, you'll be in the last groups to load when only rear or middle seats are available.

If you check-in online, you essentially go through the same procedures as checking in on-site if you need to check luggage. I always use the self-serve terminals ... swipe a credit card, select the number of bags you are checking, (print another boarding pass if I checked-in with out a printer), then give your bags to the rep at the counter who tags them. Pretty easy stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Be sure to print out your boarding pass as soon as you can (24hours). SW doesn't assign seats. The pass will have your group letter. They load by groups...A, B, C. If you get your pass at the airport, you'll be in the last groups to load when only rear or middle seats are available.

after watching the tv show '' airlines '', i am afraid to fly sw. it would be so much cheaper for me ( chicago to pheonix ) but im afraid i would be one of the ones that did not get a seat so i could not get back to work on my return to work day :eek: . am i being overly worried about this or does it happen alot. i really need some reasurance about getting a seat on this airline. can anyone help me here with helpful info? thanks so much

after watching the tv show '' airlines '', i am afraid to fly sw. it would be so much cheaper for me ( chicago to pheonix ) but im afraid i would be one of the ones that did not get a seat so i could not get back to work on my return to work day :eek: . am i being overly worried about this or does it happen alot. i really need some reasurance about getting a seat on this airline. can anyone help me here with helpful info? thanks so much

As long as you get to the airport in time, there should not be a problem.Also if they overbook, they ask for volunteers to take a bump and usually there are plenty of people jumping at the opportunity to do so. I always fly SWA if I can because I can fly direct from Nashville to many locations and have never had a problem.

am i being overly worried about this or does it happen alot.

I believe that you are being "overly worried". You must realize that a show like "Airline" selects to present interesting stories rather than show what is true overall. If one looks at all involuntary denied boardings for the period January-September 2005 (http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr05.htm), one finds that Southwest has a rate of 0.71 per 10,000 passengers. This is quite low and lower than the industry average of 0.90 per 10,000 passengers. The best airline in this category is jetBlue at 0.00. As a point of comparison, Continental is 1.90. At an industry high of 3.13, one is over 4 times more likely to have an involuntary denied boarding at ATA Airlines compared to Southwest.

P.S. In support of Coolmama_1's point, Southwest in flying over 66 million people in the first 9 months of 2005 only had 4,728 involuntary denied boardings while they had 58,309 volunteers!

just to add to the Southwest praise, I have flown Southwest TONS of times (mainly PVD-TPA-PVD (this one at least 10 times), but also PVD-MCO, JAX-PHL-PVD, TPA-BWI-PVD, TPA-BHM-PVD, maybe a few others) and I have NEVER had any problems, flights were on time almost every flight, service was excellent, seats are VERY comfortable compared to other airlines. Only complaint is lack of real food, but u can get that at the airport beforehand. I wouldnt concern yourself about flying with them, they're argueably the most successful airlines in the country, and there's a reason for it, people keep going back for more.

just to add to the Southwest praise, I have flown Southwest TONS of times (mainly PVD-TPA-PVD (this one at least 10 times), but also PVD-MCO, JAX-PHL-PVD, TPA-BWI-PVD, TPA-BHM-PVD, maybe a few others) and I have NEVER had any problems, flights were on time almost every flight, service was excellent, seats are VERY comfortable compared to other airlines. Only complaint is lack of real food, but u can get that at the airport beforehand. I wouldnt concern yourself about flying with them, they're argueably the most successful airlines in the country, and there's a reason for it, people keep going back for more.

thanks for your post. it is good to hear so many good things about sw. my main concern was getting bumped and not getting a seat. flights are so high now and sw is the cheapest of them all. i would have to drive 250 miles to get to ohare to use them but it would be worth it for the cost.

thanks guys :)

we have flown southwest extensively for the past three years following our son around the country to see his football games. (GO BEARS !)

We have never been bumped off a flight and if you have to cancel your flight their policy is generous. I only wish they would expand their market even more.

we have flown southwest extensively for the past three years following our son around the country to see his football games. (GO BEARS !)

We have never been bumped off a flight and if you have to cancel your flight their policy is generous. I only wish they would expand their market even more.

i live in BEAR country too :D . they used to fly out of my airport in moline il but have not for a few years. now we have to drive to midway to catch them and it can be a pain, especially in the winter months. i should check out the cost of parking my car there for the 5 days we would be gone. that might be a way too still get a cheaper price for the flight to pheonix.

hum, now i have some new research to do :)

I like that "Airline" show; it's good for a few laughs! LOVE Southwest, and have never been denied boarding. The people you see on the show that are getting bumped are arriving at the airport LATE. Just make sure you are on time and you should be fine flying SWA! I *always* get to the airport AT LEAST 90 minutes to 2 hours before our flight is scheduled. My family grumbles, but that gives us plenty of time to get checked in and through security.

Getting to the airport very early may cause whining and grumbling, but I like to sit down with my coffee, relax and watch all the others who are rushing to the gate, frantically waving tickets and hoping they can board. There is enough stress in life so why make it happen before a much awaited trip? Not for me.

Love the "Airline" program. Everyone needs a good laugh. The S.W. employees to a man/woman are the best natured folks flying today. Seems like nothing phases them and the welcome smiles from all the crew (pilots who come out of the cockpit upon landing and say, "hope you had a pleasant flight") are such a welcome sight. We always thank the whole crew when we deplane. Will continue to fly S.W. whenever we can. And they are usually EARLY arriving to the next stop as they manage to hustle everyoneone board quickly even pleading with people to move it along so "we can take off earlier". It works!

Ruthie

Archived