Majesty questions - Kid's Corner/Suite 921

duncanmaria

We've just booked suite 921 on the Majesty sailing on 1/14/06. This will be our 2nd cruise and our first on NCL. We've booked suite #921 and as a family of 4 are happy to have the extra space but were a little disappointed that our floor-to-ceiling wimdow has an 80% obstructed, blocked in part by a lifeboat. Has anyone stayed in this suite before that can offer any comments?

Also, we are a bit concerned about the Kid's Corner on this ship, particularly in January when there may not be that many kids on the ship. Any insight to NCL's children's program would be of great assistance. We have a DD who is 9 and a DS who is 7.

Looking forward to hearing about and sailing this ship!!

I am not sure if this will help but I stayed in cabin 911 and it is four cabins from where you will be in 921. We had an obstructive view because of the lifeboat but it wasn't bad at all. I will look to see if I took any pics of this but we were able to see out without any problems~

We sailed on Majesty in October (took kids out of school). I found it GREAT in the kids program because there were about 10-25 kids on any given time. They group ages when there aren't a lot of kids. I would be more concerned about being over crowded during school vacations. My Son is 9 and LOVED the kids Crew, they really keep them busy and my kids were begging to go back! Don't worry, I'm sure they will really enjoy it!!

We are going on the same cruise and are staying in 905 and brother and sister-in-law are in 915. This is our first cruise. I can't wait. We have a roll call going on that site so join in . Janearl ;)

We are going on the 10th of December and are booked in 910 & 912. Our TA say no obstructions at all there.

Thanks, all, for the info! We are really looking forward to sailing on the Majesty. Our first cruise was on the Carnival Celbration the same time last year. We had a great time although it was unseasonably cold that week, even in Nassau and Key West. The Celebration is only a tad bigger than the Majesty. After last year's cruise, we thought we would try one of the newer, larger ships to compare; however, here we are a year later on the Majesty. We just couldn't resist the convenience of sailing out of Charleston, just 3 hours from home.

Glad to hear positive things about Kid's Corner. We're also excited the Kid's Corner is on the same deck as our suite - can't get much more convenient than that!!!

Let's hope for warm weather and calm seas!

We were on the Majesty in June, with a family group that included two of grandkids, 7 & 8 at the time, and they loved it. With only a few kids on board, I'm sure your little ones will have a great time, and get some special treatment. The Kid's Krew staff were exceptionally nice from my perspective as well as the kids. So nice, and so personable, I even gave them my own tip, in addition to what my daughter gave them. Daisy (Dee Ann) and Pickles are two that I recall. On the Jewel cruise we just returned from, there may have been 25 kids of all ages on the ship, out of 2400 or so, and one night I recall 6 counselors attending the evening show with 1 young girl. I know my granddaughter would love that kind of attention!!

For your sake I hope the crew is basically the same, as they were terrific. A couple of them are from Canada, and if not mistaken, I think they had the opportunity to join the Jewel Kid's Krew program, but opted to remain with the Majesty. The Majesty's entire staff is known for being a close knit group, but I'm not sure if they are able to remain with the ship as long as they have been accustomed to staying in the past. But I also recall that on our sailing, the staff "rolled out" a new activity for the kids one night, a sign that they are being proactive with their programs. From what I could tell, it was a success, but it also involved lots of kids. From my daughter's view, I think she was of the opinion that her experience with the Dawn was that the facilities were better for the kids, but her kids enjoyed the staff on the Majesty much better.

Best of Luck!! And let Pickles and Daisy know you read about them on the Internet!! [Actually I told Daisy to check out Cruise Critic, I hope she did.]

Thanks, Tom! I see you've sailed quite a bit on NCL. How do you rate the Majesty compared to other NCL ships as far as service and amenities, etc?

Since all but our Majesty cruise has been on their new mega ships, it's really hard to compare them. However, that said, food and service are the same, as we find each staff member we've ever met on our cruises is prepared to do whatever it takes to please you. It's not just fluff, they truely mean it. If they sense what you need is a bit above and beyond what they normally do, but could do it for you, they will do it. Ok, back from the commercial, some "amenities" just can't compare to the others - basically because of size. The theaters, restaurants, bars, gym, etc. are all there, just a little older, and smaller. You may find some "environmental" issues on the older ships, like maybe some rooms might have an A/C problem or you can't get your safe to work, or maybe some rooms do not have a fridge. But problems do get resolved, it's just like renting or owning an older, smaller home, vs. a bigger and newer one.

However, there are some things we found more favorable on the Majesty. Because the ship and crew is smaller, the staff know each other pretty well, making for a little more unity. Over the years the staff has been accustomed to serving for longer periods on the Majesty, and they really love it. They also get to know the repeat passengers, which is a great treat for loyal Majesty fans. I understand they are rotating staff more frequently than in the past, so that perk may not be as pertinent, anymore. Though we tend to dine frequently in the Specialty restaurants on the big ships, not to avoid the others, but because we enjoy them so much, staff, food, and service. But we really enjoyed the Seven Seas on the Majesty, it just seemed to us that we could always find something we were pleased with at each meal. Of course we enjoyed LeBistro, and their Pasta Cafe, a non charge specialty. Their menu changed each day, much to our surprise, and even if you do not find an item you like on the menu, the chef will mix you up a pasta dish to please you. The view while dining in that area is outstanding, and we regret we did not go there until our last day. It's also a bar area we missed out on, too.

All the ship activities we are familiar with on the big ships are also performed on the Majesty, like game shows, 70's night, karaoke, etc. The shows in their theater, though downscaled from the 1,000 seat theaters, were very entertaining, and the guest performers were of the same caliber as the Dawn, etc. One comedian we saw on there was the funniest stand up we've ever seen.

So, if bigger is better, then the big ships are better, just more to choose from, but from our personal enjoyment perspective, we may have had our best cruise on the Majesty, as we also had 13 other family members with us. And from our 7 yr. old granddaughter's perspective, she liked the Kid's Krew facilities on the Dawn better, but liked the staff better on the Majesty.

Feel free to ask more questions!

Archived