Alaska Excursion Tips for Active Family

FishersFrogs

We are a family of five (three daughters ages 10, 10, 12) heading to Alaska next June. I've read dozens of pages and threads here - but having trouble narrowing down excursions.

We are up for adventure and activity level is good with the entire family. No one is picky - except one daughter is not a zipline fan. Wildlife is of special interest. If you have recommendations on which stops are better for which activity that is very much appreciated - we're heading to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

Our top choices would be:

1. A flight option - helicopter or plane. BUT I've heard these are often cancelled?

2. Dog Sled

3. Wildlife or whale watch

4. Snorkling (if our petite 10 year old can go). If not maybe something active like canoe?

We also love history and tour guide tips of the area. Open to either cruise or independent.

Links to more research or vendors appreciated! Also any excursions or vendors we should steer clear of?

Thanks in advance!

Thoughts....

• most do the whale watches in Juneau. Look for combo opportunities with nearby Mendenhall to save time.
  • dog sled? Would that be on a cart with wheels or on top of a glacier? Skagway's Yukon Caribou Crossing tours have a dog cart opportunity.
  • History? Love Skagway's Liarsville.

[YOUTUBE]rvbqT7ox7UM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]tzb8VtM60kw[/YOUTUBE]

We are a family of five (three daughters ages 10, 10, 12) heading to Alaska next June. I've read dozens of pages and threads here - but having trouble narrowing down excursions.

We are up for adventure and activity level is good with the entire family. No one is picky - except one daughter is not a zipline fan. Wildlife is of special interest. If you have recommendations on which stops are better for which activity that is very much appreciated - we're heading to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

Our top choices would be:

1. A flight option - helicopter or plane. BUT I've heard these are often cancelled?

2. Dog Sled

3. Wildlife or whale watch

4. Snorkling (if our petite 10 year old can go). If not maybe something active like canoe?

We also love history and tour guide tips of the area. Open to either cruise or independent.

Links to more research or vendors appreciated! Also any excursions or vendors we should steer clear of?

Thanks in advance!

FWIW I'm travelling with an 8.5 year old boy in July.

Based on your numbers I'll relate our choices...

1. we are taking a flight in Ketchikan to see bears (you are travelling to early for bears) but you could see Misty Fjords.

My back-up plan in case of flight cancelling weather is to take in the lumber jack show, Cape Fox funicular up & Married Man's Trail down & wander around creek street. Since our 4 hour tour is in the am, we should have time to some of the back-ups after the tour.

2. dog sled - not on my list, but beware, some are on the glaciers others are on dirt. This is a ride, you will not get to "drive."

3. Whale Watch - Juneau (not on my list, I'm not sure that my son would be up for just seeing dorsal fins & that could be all that you see...)

4. I haven't looked into either in your ports... (We are considering canoes in Homer.)

Based on our trip with 2 girls ages 16 and 12, I suggest kayaking and hiking.

In Juneau, we did the Mendenhall Glacier Trek with Above and Beyond Alaska:

http://beyondak.com/trips/mendenhall-glacier-trek/

In Ketchikan, we kayaked Orcas Cove:

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips/

In Skagway, we hiked Lower Dewey Lake:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

If you want to whale watch, with 5 people I recommend a private charter. It's really great to have the boat to yourself, and it was the same price as 5 thru the cruise line would have been. We used "lost in alaska" they were great. Captain even had a desk hand to help spot the whales. I think having your own boat feels like a bit of an adventure too.

We also kayaked in ketchikan with ketchikan kayak co. They use double kayaks, and with an odd number one of the kids could ride with the guide. We saw starfish and eagles while kayaking. I would recommend this company as well. They advertise groups of 10 or less. We showed up and there was 12 ppl. Two of us and a big family group of 10. They sent us out with our own guide and sent two guides thus the group of 10. I was impressed that they didn't just try to lump us all together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk