El Cid hotel vs Grand Park Royal

jarofmar

First time cruiser will be stopping at Cozumel for the day. I saw there were two AI's walking distance to our port - El Cid and Park Royal and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these - which one is better? Going to just be my boyfriend and I.

Would also be willing to take a cab to a non AI beach if that's the better option!

First time cruiser will be stopping at Cozumel for the day. I saw there were two AI's walking distance to our port - El Cid and Park Royal and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these - which one is better? Going to just be my boyfriend and I.

Would also be willing to take a cab to a non AI beach if that's the better option!

This thread may help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400383&highlight=Cid

Put Cid in search engine on here for more results.

I have been to both if you have any specific questions I will try to help.

This thread may help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2400383&highlight=Cid

Put Cid in search engine on here for more results.

I have been to both if you have any specific questions I will try to help.

Thank you! Which did you prefer since you went to both?

Edited by jarofmar

We are trying to decide between the two as well. We did Mr. Sanchos last time they had an AI package but we just went with the pay as you go option. Drinks were priced decent and food was tasty. Hung out in the little pool area and lounge chairs most of the day. It was nice but we ended up paying more with the cab fare and individual pricing then the packages at El Cid and Park Royal so we are thinking we will just stick closer to the ship this time around.

Looking forward to more responses as to which of the 2 most people prefer. :)

We are trying to decide between the two as well. We did Mr. Sanchos last time they had an AI package but we just went with the pay as you go option. Drinks were priced decent and food was tasty. Hung out in the little pool area and lounge chairs most of the day. It was nice but we ended up paying more with the cab fare and individual pricing then the packages at El Cid and Park Royal so we are thinking we will just stick closer to the ship this time around.

Looking forward to more responses as to which of the 2 most people prefer. :)

That's where I'm at - I'm wondering if we'll end up spending the same amount of money taking a taxi to a further because than just going all inclusive nearby.

That's where I'm at - I'm wondering if we'll end up spending the same amount of money taking a taxi to a further because than just going all inclusive nearby.

More than likely you will. The cab ride I want to say was like $17 each way. Our bar and food bill was about $70 plus tip. I am thinking this time we'd rather just put that $100 towards an all inclusive day pass and stay closer to the ship. I'm leaning more toward the Park Royal at this point. They seem to have more fans of their pools and indoor buffet lunch.

Haven't tried El cid, but have been to Park Royal at least 6 times. Always had a blast. Love the infinity pool overlooking the cruise ships. Phenomenal snorkeling. Great drinks( bring your own Trevis tumblers ). Authentic Mexican cuisine at the indoor buffet with a decent wine selection. It's about a 15 minute walk as soon as you disembark the ship. Turn left when exiting the terminal. It will be on the right. You walk up the stone drive entrance and proceed to the open air guest service. Be careful not to get propositioned by "Time Share" people on your way trying to sell day passes for $10. Price is $40-$50 per person. Depends on the high, low season. You will often see ship personnel there. Never really crowded. Kinda like a well kept secret! Always fun walking back to the ship😜.

Haven't tried El cid, but have been to Park Royal at least 6 times. Always had a blast. Love the infinity pool overlooking the cruise ships. Phenomenal snorkeling. Great drinks( bring your own Trevis tumblers ). Authentic Mexican cuisine at the indoor buffet with a decent wine selection. It's about a 15 minute walk as soon as you disembark the ship. Turn left when exiting the terminal. It will be on the right. You walk up the stone drive entrance and proceed to the open air guest service. Be careful not to get propositioned by "Time Share" people on your way trying to sell day passes for $10. Price is $40-$50 per person. Depends on the high, low season. You will often see ship personnel there. Never really crowded. Kinda like a well kept secret! Always fun walking back to the ship😜.

Sounds great. Thanks for all of that information. Do you remember if the pools were heated? Not sure how the weather will be in December when we are there but I'm starting to wonder if the pool might be a bit cool if they are not heated.

There are 2 pools. The big one is beautiful. It's kinda enclosed with lots of trees. Very relaxing. The infinity pool is right next to the beach. It has a swim up bar. There is a hot tub off to the side. I don't believe it's actually heated though. No, the pools aren't heated. We always travel end of November, beginning of December. The weather is still pretty warm and the pool water feels great! The infinity pool is more the party pool, and the bigger enclosed pool is more family oriented. Google Park Royal Cozumel (Trip Advisor). Lots of photos. We will be there December 2.

Do you purchase from a tour operator or walk up? I see it for $65 from Cozumel Tours Excursions, but a Trip Advisor review says you can purchase at the hotel for $40. The tour operator says the hotel only allows a "certain number of people"....wonder what that is... We have six ships in port and definitely want to go somewhere that limits the number of people. But, we don't want to get left in the dust if it's full when we get there. What did you do?

We have always purchased our day pass at the hotel. You should be fine about getting in. Again, not many know about the Park Royal. It's a secret 😎. Most people are doing Nachi Cacom, or Mr Sanchos. Last time it was $40, however I do remember paying $50 on a different occasion. We have been many times. You can get there as early as 10am, but the open bar doesn't start to 11am. 1 hour of snorkeling with gear is included in your day pass. The snorkel booth people ask for your ID to use their gear. One said I had to wait an hour, all the gear was being used. Went back a 2nd time, and told another hour. Might be easier to bring your own gear. Extra $1 bills for tipping is a nice gesture and appreciated. Especially if the bartenders fill your trevis tumbler. They use small plastic cups. They have the best chocolate banana daiquiris and the micheladas are good too!

Do you purchase from a tour operator or walk up? I see it for $65 from Cozumel Tours Excursions, but a Trip Advisor review says you can purchase at the hotel for $40. The tour operator says the hotel only allows a "certain number of people"....wonder what that is... We have six ships in port and definitely want to go somewhere that limits the number of people. But, we don't want to get left in the dust if it's full when we get there. What did you do?

I have never seen Park Royal offered through a broker, lots of the other AI hotels but not Park Royal. I tried to follow your company but could not see this hotel?

El Cid is offered for that price through Resort for a day, but that is a separate hotel and whenever we have gone we have always got a better rate direct with the hotel lobby there as well.

We contacted Park Royal in advance and were told there was no advance reservations, just pay in the lobby on the day. We also paid $40 (12 months ago) but read later that the price had increased. I think it could well be seasonal as different prices have been reported over the years.

I think it very much depends on when you are visiting, obviously they are not going to let in day visitors if the hotel is full - it is not so much that they limit numbers and when the day passes have gone, that's it.

Six ships is a fairly normal load for Cozumel.As stated above not many cruisers head to the hotels, most head to beach clubs. I think you are much more affected by hotel occupancy.

If you are coming from international or Puerta Maya, you have only wasted a 5-10 minute walk if they end up saying they have no passes. Easy enough from there, (or probably cheaper off the street) to pick up a taxi to the beach if necessary.

Edited by c-leg5

Park Royal and El Cid are convenient because there is no transport involved.

I think it all depends on what you are expecting from your day. If there are only two in your group and you don't team up with others to share a taxi you are basically looking at $25-50 total taxi fare depending which beach club you choose, equivalent to one person at the AI resort hotel. So it comes down to how much you want to eat and drink and if you want yo do any water activities. If you go to an AI "beach club" you will pay another $55pp for food and drink. If you go to a PAYG bar, it is up to you. We don't eat that much at lunch when we have AI on the ship so I would say we come out about even with the hotel pricewise.

However - we are an older couple looking for somewhere to relax! I get the impression you are probably younger, looking for more to do? Park Royal is a nice hotel with nice facilities but it is just a resort hotel. If you are wanting a nice sandy beach, water activities etc I would suggest looking at Paradise Beach. We have visited Cozumel many times, both on cruise ships and land vacations, and enjoy many of the beach locations on different days and, there are a lot to choose from, quiet/noisy, active/relaxing.

On any given day, it comes down to setting a budget and your expectations for the day.

Park Royal and El Cid are convenient because there is no transport involved.

I think it all depends on what you are expecting from your day. If there are only two in your group and you don't team up with others to share a taxi you are basically looking at $25-50 total taxi fare depending which beach club you choose, equivalent to one person at the AI resort hotel. So it comes down to how much you want to eat and drink and if you want yo do any water activities. If you go to an AI "beach club" you will pay another $55pp for food and drink. If you go to a PAYG bar, it is up to you. We don't eat that much at lunch when we have AI on the ship so I would say we come out about even with the hotel pricewise.

However - we are an older couple looking for somewhere to relax! I get the impression you are probably younger, looking for more to do? Park Royal is a nice hotel with nice facilities but it is just a resort hotel. If you are wanting a nice sandy beach, water activities etc I would suggest looking at Paradise Beach. We have visited Cozumel many times, both on cruise ships and land vacations, and enjoy many of the beach locations on different days and, there are a lot to choose from, quiet/noisy, active/relaxing.

On any given day, it comes down to setting a budget and your expectations for the day.

Thank you! I'll look up Paradise beach as well.

I have never seen Park Royal offered through a broker, lots of the other AI hotels but not Park Royal. I tried to follow your company but could not see this hotel?

El Cid is offered for that price through Resort for a day, but that is a separate hotel and whenever we have gone we have always got a better rate direct with the hotel lobby there as well.

We contacted Park Royal in advance and were told there was no advance reservations, just pay in the lobby on the day. We also paid $40 (12 months ago) but read later that the price had increased. I think it could well be seasonal as different prices have been reported over the years.

I think it very much depends on when you are visiting, obviously they are not going to let in day visitors if the hotel is full - it is not so much that they limit numbers and when the day passes have gone, that's it.

Six ships is a fairly normal load for Cozumel.As stated above not many cruisers head to the hotels, most head to beach clubs. I think you are much more affected by hotel occupancy.

If you are coming from international or Puerta Maya, you have only wasted a 5-10 minute walk if they end up saying they have no passes. Easy enough from there, (or probably cheaper off the street) to pick up a taxi to the beach if necessary.

Did you contact them via email? I've tried twice with no response.

Did you contact them via email? I've tried twice with no response.

I have also had problems contacting them in the past and have had to try several times.

I think last time I used:

reservationsczm2@park-royalhotels.com

I think this maybe the central contact, be sure to specify "Cozumel":

Asistente de Reservaciones

+52 (987) 872 0700 ext. 3465

http://www.parkroyal.mx

I have also had problems contacting them in the past and have had to try several times.

I think last time I used:

reservationsczm2@park-royalhotels.com

I think this maybe the central contact, be sure to specify "Cozumel":

Asistente de Reservaciones

+52 (987) 872 0700 ext. 3465

http://www.parkroyal.mx

Thank you! I finally reached out via Facebook and got a response - it's $50 in January to stay from 11am-6pm - in case anyone else is looking for this info.

Thank you! I finally reached out via Facebook and got a response - it's $50 in January to stay from 11am-6pm - in case anyone else is looking for this info.

Glad you made contact!

That was the last reported price that I saw.

FYI, we were able to buy passes and use facilities before 11am, but no food and drinks available. We had breakfast on the ship and left just after 10am. Since you are a first time cruiser, remember you cannot take fresh food off the ship at ports and in Cozumel backpacks are often checked as you exit the pier.

Enjoy your day!

Edited by c-leg5

Glad you made contact!

That was the last reported price that I saw.

FYI, we were able to buy passes and use facilities before 11am, but no food and drinks available. We had breakfast on the ship and left just after 10am. Since you are a first time cruiser, remember you cannot take fresh food off the ship at ports and in Cozumel backpacks are often checked as you exit the pier.

Enjoy your day!

That's very good to know, thank you! Can you bring any food or drink off the ship? Do you bring your passport with you as well?

There are 2 pools. The big one is beautiful. It's kinda enclosed with lots of trees. Very relaxing. The infinity pool is right next to the beach. It has a swim up bar. There is a hot tub off to the side. I don't believe it's actually heated though. No, the pools aren't heated. We always travel end of November, beginning of December. The weather is still pretty warm and the pool water feels great! The infinity pool is more the party pool, and the bigger enclosed pool is more family oriented. Google Park Royal Cozumel (Trip Advisor). Lots of photos. We will be there December 2.

We will be there December 10th. I really appreciate your responses as well as others. I think we are going to try it out. :)

Thanks again everyone!!

That's very good to know, thank you! Can you bring any food or drink off the ship? Do you bring your passport with you as well?

You can generally bring pre-packaged goods off the ship but nothing fresh. You can take off bottled water but drinks are generally less expensive on land.

Your call on the passport - many threads on this subject:

if you take it, you run the risk of losing, it or having it stolen;

if you don't take it and you don't get back to port in time (accident, get lost, don't take into account ship time/local time) it will be more difficult to leave the country you are in. (Some people advise taking photocopy, which is not official but may expedite getting a new one.)

Under general circumstances you don't usually need it. You do need a picture ID and ship set-sail pass. We take daily news sheet with port authority emergency contact info and this will also list what documentation you need to take off in order to reboard ship.