Insurance

ToadOfToadHall

I've just organised Mr and Mrs Toad's insurance for our cruise next year. I went for an annual policy (first time I've done this as we have an other week away in Europe at the start of the new year). With slightly worst terms (the excess), Cunard (okay, I know it's not them, it's a third party) came out at 77% more.

It shows you that you do need to shop around for these things.

It is very wise to spend the few extra dollars/pounds for insurance. We used it once, when the Icelandic volcanic ash grounded air travel from Venice to my aunt's home in Athens, where we were staying. We found our way to the ferry port and took a ferry to Greece, essentially getting a free cruise, all expenses reimbursed! Now we have both trip interruption and cancellation coverage free through our credit card and we just add medical and evacuation coverage. Accidents can, and do, happen. Shop around, though, and know what you are buying. And make sure you bring along the policy information to make that all important call or email to initiate coverage.

Another consideration is the financial situation of the line (although most policies have limitations now). In 2000, we were on the Rembrandt (ex Rotterdam) when Premier Cruises went bankrupt. We had bought third-party insurance and were covered; those who bought theirs through Premier were not. Not AT ALL inferring that Cunard or Carnival is at risk, but mentioning it in relation to the topic at large.

Personally, I weigh the expense of the vacation (and other factors as the health of family members or work considerations) when deciding to purchase insurance. For cheap cruises close to the US, we'll decide that the risk is worth it and forego insurance. However, for most of our cruise vacations (especially ones on Cunard), we purchase insurance within days of booking the cruise. (The best coverage often requires that it be purchased within a period after the first cruise payment) We inevitably find third-party providers who provide superior coverage for less cost than offered by the cruise line.

As always, the considerations vary by individual. A little bit of research at sites like insuremytrip.com can be essential for getting the best coverage for your needs at the lowest price.

Luckily, the Premier bankruptcy was the only time we used our insurance, but I'm still happy that we had it for the vacations where we didn't need it.

Edited by MarkBearSF