arecibo observatory

lauramcc

We are looking for activities in San Juan prior to our cruise next fall. My husband is a space buff and said he would like to visit Arecibo Observatory. It looks like it is open to tourists. Has anyone been there/done the tour? Any information appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I visited Arecibo about 15 years ago with my teenaged son. It was a wonderful experience and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in science. There was a very interesting museum and a viewing platform right into the disc. Fascinating!

That would be awesome, thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I'm finally getting caught up with things after my trip. As Yophilly says, Arecibo is worth going to on your trip. For the scientifically bent, it's very interesting and for those who are not, it's interesting just to see something that large. You can hear it transmitting which I was surprised about. It sounds like a far off car alarm. There is a longish uphill/downhill climb on a sidewalk to get there, but you can let security at the gate know you'd like a lift if you want and they will send a minivan. It's not an issue if you are even the least bit fit.

I would recommend combining it with Rio Camuy Cave Park to make the most of your trip. They are about 30 minutes apart and you could stop for lunch in between sites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camuy_River_Cave_Park

The one caveat I have is although the cave seemed straightforward to find (I was on the tour van through Viator), the telescope was more difficult. There was about 15-20 minutes of driving through residential areas/small farms to get there. Either have a GPS and get good directions or take a guided tour from San Juan. Here're some photos I took to give you an idea of what to expect.

Sign with example transmitter antenna:

3c97af97b3494bc36447861852d3eedf.jpg

Telescope:

a7e75c5b1c2a6d347aca1c1a6b6f1b76.jpg

Support wire tower:

27d253e09112b8cbd2d7da636cf1e4fc.jpg

Brochure:

c3f2d5e0d68ad74955e082933aba4caa.jpg

Cave:

b56dd83e4e0d91f7ff399f52bc269ecc.jpg

Edited by JoyMouse