Caye Caulker Questions

adriennerm

I am considering going to Caye Caulker for the day while in Belize. My ship is the Carnival Freedom, scheduled to be in port 8a-5p. I have a couple of questions:

Do you recommend we use Coral Breezes or should we just take a water taxi on our own?

If we use the water taxi on our own, how far from the cruise port is it?

What is there to do in Caye Caulker? Are there any points of interest or must sees?

Can you recommend any restaurants or beach bars? I love trying local food when visiting other countries.

If you have any additional information about Caye Caulker, please share.

The ferry terminal is just outside the dock gate to the left, you can buy ferry passes right there. We would highly recommend going on your own, very easy and more flexible once you are there. You can hire an operator to take you out snorkeling, or rent a golf cart and "tour" the island and find a nice beach.

We walked the main street and stopped at a couple shops and bars and then spent most of our time at the Lazy Lizard. Great spot to lime on the Split with gorgeous water views. Also great food and cheap drinks. We met several expats living in Belize and on CC while there. We took a cart taxi back to the pier, you can carry a drink in public, very laid back.

You can also fly back if the flight times work for you, it's a short taxi from the airport to the cruise dock. Just google that option if interested. I posted this info while researching this port some time ago...

check ferry times for return. right now they're an hou behid ship time. we used coralbreeze because times didn't work

they were great. we did the snorkeling as well but you don't have to

very relaxing place. excellent homemade donuts. go right when leaving ferry terminal, place that sells iced coffee

• 11 months later...
The ferry terminal is just outside the dock gate to the left, you can buy ferry passes right there. We would highly recommend going on your own, very easy and more flexible once you are there. You can hire an operator to take you out snorkeling, or rent a golf cart and "tour" the island and find a nice beach.

Can you just snorkel on your own or do you have to hire an operator to take you? I figure you can but maybe the better question is if it's any good shore snorkeling ?

Caye Caulker is a small 6 Mile Long Island with hotels restaurants and bars nothing more. Snorkeling and Diving is normally done over on the Marine reserves which are on the beach at ambergris Caye. The marine reserves do require a guide. There are no flights to caye Caulker at all.

Caye Caulker is a small 6 Mile Long Island with hotels restaurants and bars nothing more. Snorkeling and Diving is normally done over on the Marine reserves which are on the beach at ambergris Caye. The marine reserves do require a guide. There are no flights to caye Caulker at all.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We went on our own a few years ago. Loved it!!!! You get off the water taxi and walk up the street to the beach and Lazy Lizard. Snorkeled right there, watched a local guy do artwork (burning) on a coconut and using a magnifying glass. Checked out the small town, ate at a bar on the water, a guy was cleaning lobster out the back on the dock. FRESH food, reasonable. Very few people. The only downsize it, it is a 45 min ride to get there. I would go back in a heartbeat.

We went on our own a few years ago. Loved it!!!! You get off the water taxi and walk up the street to the beach and Lazy Lizard. Snorkeled right there, watched a local guy do artwork (burning) on a coconut and using a magnifying glass. Checked out the small town, ate at a bar on the water, a guy was cleaning lobster out the back on the dock. FRESH food, reasonable. Very few people. The only downsize it, it is a 45 min ride to get there. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Did you have any problem getting a water taxi back? We dock at 8:00 am so assuming we can get there by 10:00 am and leave at 2:00ish then I'm hoping that maybe it won't be too much of a problem.

This may be a dumb question, but whatever, someone upthread mentioned a cart taxi,can one actually drive to Caye Caulker? I'd like a faster way than by air or a 45 min boat ride. Also someone mentioned a water taxi and a ferry taxi. Is that one and the same or are there two different ways to get to Caye Caulker by boat?

This may be a dumb question, but whatever, someone upthread mentioned a cart taxi,can one actually drive to Caye Caulker? I'd like a faster way than by air or a 45 min boat ride. Also someone mentioned a water taxi and a ferry taxi. Is that one and the same or are there two different ways to get to Caye Caulker by boat?

A caye is an island. There is no air service to Caye Caulker at this time

Not sure if there has been a change but Tropic Air and Maya air had 10 minute flights between Belize Muni and CC.A few years ago we considered ferrying over and flying back but decided to stick with the ferry because our port time limited our time there.

The water taxi/ferry is the same. You can rent a golf cart on CC if you want to explore more.

Not sure if there has been a change but Tropic Air and Maya air had 10 minute flights between Belize Muni and CC.A few years ago we considered ferrying over and flying back but decided to stick with the ferry because our port time limited our time there.

The water taxi/ferry is the same. You can rent a golf cart on CC if you want to explore more.

This is been covered already in this thread there are currently no flights of any kind to Caye Caulker. Reread post 8