Question about the amount of alcohol you can bring back..

cruzin Phillis

If you purchase the liquor in St. Thomas, you may bring back an additional number of bottles, duty free. That number was 4 a few years back. I don't know if that is still the case.

Edited by nchikk

I have brought back 13 litres and declared them all on my customs form and did not have to pay any duty! It must have just been my day! When we go to the eastern carib, I do tend to stock up, especially if we are driving home and don't have to worry about packing for flights. My advice is to buy what you want and don't worry about customs. If they decide you are over the limit (which is per person by the way) and want to charge you duty, it is not but a few cent per litre. :D

I have brought back 13 litres and declared them all on my customs form and did not have to pay any duty! It must have just been my day! When we go to the eastern carib, I do tend to stock up, especially if we are driving home and don't have to worry about packing for flights. My advice is to buy what you want and don't worry about customs. If they decide you are over the limit (which is per person by the way) and want to charge you duty, it is not but a few cent per litre. :D

Awesome[emoji106] . Not sure we need that much but nice to know we can. I don't mind paying the duty.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

We regularly bring back more than the allotted amount when going to Ensenada (I like the wine tour and the wine is so cheap we've come back with double or triple our limit each) and I have never paid customs on it. I am always honest about how much we have and have never paid duties. The first time we took the tour I was worried about how much it would cost to bring back extra and that happened to be the time the customs agent said "eh, the duty is so small on alcohol and I don't feel like filling out all the paperwork for it." Now I never stress about how much we bring back.

You should bring back what you wish, just be sure to declare it on your custom form. I have gone over a few times and like others, never had to pay any tax. I have a feeling they do not wish to slow down the line for a few dollars. The first few times figured I would get a tax bill in the mail but it never happened. If you needed the porter to handle ten cases for you, bet you would end up paying the tax.

We just brought back 8 bottles , only problem we had was flying home , they had to be checked and very secure so we ended up having to buy anther bag to make room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hahahaha I had to laugh because it brought back memories of us doing almost the same thing.

We brought back 21 bottles some bigger then a litter so not really sure how many litters but we ended up having to empty 1 suit case and literally shove stuff into our carry on it was too funny

Oh yeah I didn't pay any fees and the reason we bought so much is the price of liquor in Utah is outrages e0a9344cde904ddbb3fe39864abeb3e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each person over 21 may bring back 6 bottles from the Virgin Islands as long as one of the 6 is island rum.

2 people - 12 bottles, at least 2 must be rum

Been doing this for over 30 years and it's never changed. It doesn't matter if you've been away a week or a month, the amount allowed is the same.

Cigarettes are 5 cartons per person.

Each person over 21 may bring back 6 bottles from the Virgin Islands as long as one of the 6 is island rum.

2 people - 12 bottles, at least 2 must be rum

Been doing this for over 30 years and it's never changed. It doesn't matter if you've been away a week or a month, the amount allowed is the same.

Cigarettes are 5 cartons per person.

Is that 5 cartons per person if they were purchased in the Virgin islands? It's only 200 cigarettes typically. That's one carton.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Is that 5 cartons per person if they were purchased in the Virgin islands? It's only 200 cigarettes typically. That's one carton.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Yes, it's 5 cartons per person if purchased ANYWHERE in the Caribbean or on the ship.

St. Thomas always has the best prices.

Coming home from a Canada cruise last month, it's only 1 per person.

Basically bring back what you want, declare it, and pay the duty. At least that way you are doing things honestly.

US Customs states:

Alcoholic Beverages

• You are at least 21 years old.
  • It is intended exclusively for your personal use and not for sale.
  • It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal and state regulations allow you to bring back one liter of an alcoholic beverage for personal use duty-free.

While federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back beyond the personal exemption amount, unusual quantities may raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes, such as for resale.

Also, state laws might limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in without a license.

In brief, for both alcohol and cigarettes, the quantities eligible for duty-free treatment may be included in your $800 (one person) or $1,600 (couple)returning resident personal exemption, just as any other purchase should be. But unlike other kinds of merchandise, amounts beyond those discussed here as being duty-free are taxed, even if you have not exceeded, or even met, your personal exemption.