Helmet diving? worth the money?

starfamily

My wife did it somewhere down in Polynesia (don't remember the island), and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It was about $95.00, I think.

She's not a strong swimmer, and slightly claustrophobic, but again, thought it was well worth the time and expense.

We are thinking of doing the helmet diving in Montego Bay since there is not much to do there, has anyone done this? Is it worth the 99.00 per person? DH is concerned we could run out of air which seems silly to me:p

Most tours seem to be expensive compared to what you get, and this is beause the cruise line gets a big cut.

If you don't snorkle the helmet dive is a good alternative. We prefer to snorkle. Fellow passengers have done the helmets and loved it. I'd recommend it.

As to air, they don't go that deep, and I am sure they let you come up and get some more. :)

I did this in Bermuda and had a total blast! I snorkel but don't dive and this is probably as close to scuba as I'll ever get.

One thing some people really liked is you can wear glasses and not get your hair wet. There is also no problem with ear popping. It was really nice to not have to futz with a snorkel and deal with water in it or the mask. You just breathe normally.

The water was much murkier than usual since it was very rough and somewhat overcast. Unfortunately, it was the only day we could do it. It would have been spectacular on a nicer day.

Gail

bda1a.jpg.9558ce593860f78c4899c334322b218e.jpg

Oh, you should have seen it in person! That woman spent the whole dive with her mouth hanging open in utter amazement just like that picture. I think she was talking and laughing her head off the whole time. Not realizing no one could hear her. :) Of course, I probably looked just as goofy! :D As far as hubby's worry about the air, even if the air compressor was to quit, which is really unlikely (I think they had 2 backups), you only go about 15' down and it was really easy to get back to the ladder. So you could be back on the surface in less than a minute. I'll do it again for sure, in fact was thinking of doing it in Nassau on my next cruise but may do the powerboat to the Exumas instead. I bet it's even better in Jamaica than Bermuda....the water is probably calmer and clearer.

Gail

bda4a.jpg.6fbf430e023fc8821c04260c1fe5a2b8.jpg

bda3a.jpg.20ddee5efb35bd6567a963e982891a7b.jpg

We did it in Bora Bora this summer and it was awesome. My mom (63) myself (39) my husband (39) and daughter (8) all thought it was the best shore excursion we did in Tahiti. We do not scuba so for us this was a great way to be upclose with fish.

There were lots of back up tanks of air on our boat-so I didnt think that we would run out of air. You can breathe normally the whole time. My husband and mom were able to wear their glasses under water.

I would highly recommend this excursion!

I did this in Bermuda and had a total blast! I snorkel but don't dive and this is probably as close to scuba as I'll ever get.

One thing some people really liked is you can wear glasses and not get your hair wet. There is also no problem with ear popping. It was really nice to not have to futz with a snorkel and deal with water in it or the mask. You just breathe normally.Gail

I have never done the helmet dive, but as a past Scuba diver you really do not have to worry about clearing your sinus and ears until you get to about 25ft. I notice another poster mention they take you to about 15ft.

Archived