Chankanaab for the day

BTD Greg

I'm cruising with my family and think I've decided on spending our Cozumel shore day at Chankanaab (though I still haven't ruled out Punta Sur). There's no real reason to book a tour, right? Seems like all we really need to do is walk off the boat and get a taxi to Chankanaab. Am I missing anything?

Also, because we are six people, does it make sense to try to pre-arrange a taxi, or will there be larger taxis (i.e., vans) available at the port? (We'll be arriving at Punta Maya Pier).

just came back from Cozumel and we docked at the same port and our first visit to Chakanaab. It was a wonderful day! Taxis are abundant and have fixed rates so a party of six was about $20 i believe. You can check rates on the web. No need to book a tour. Snorkeling was fabulous right from the beach with stairs at the entry points for easy access. Palapas and chairs are included

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cinbol

Just came back Thursday and even with a ton of ships in town we had no problem getting a taxi to and fro asap. They have all sizes and usually a person helping at the taxi station. As said, set rates and vans available. Chankanaab is one of our faves in Cozumel. Try to get there early to get your choice of palapa and chairs (included). With many ships we saw many sitting in the hot sun on towels while we relaxed in our wooden chairs in the shade.

Just curious , when at Chank what do you do with your ID and money while out snorkelling ? My wife and I were thinking of doing this park but not sure what people do with their valuables while out swimming . Thanks for any advice in advance

Just curious , when at Chank what do you do with your ID and money while out snorkelling ? My wife and I were thinking of doing this park but not sure what people do with their valuables while out swimming . Thanks for any advice in advance

On any beach excursion we have a waterproof pouch that hangs around our neck to hold cash, credit card and cruise ship cards - they make several different kinds - you can get a belt to wear instead which I have seen many people use as well.

If you have larger items - I did see lockers that people were renting - not sure what the cost was (if any) but you could email them to ask.

We use a waterproof camera so that is always with us and the only other thing we bring is one of our phones ( for emergency) and we left that in our bag wrapped in a shirt - there are so many people around from all the cruise ships we have never had a problem.

There were 7 ships in port the day we were there and there were still plenty of chairs with shade but as advised get there early to get your best choices!

Cindi