Viking China

2tsquared

thanks; this board is the greatest. We leave in the morning for Beijing.

Please have a great time and report back how you liked it. I am more concerned about wife's shopping and the 44# intra-China luggage limit. If you are taking an iphone or computer, see how good the ipass.com unlimited wifi is. A million questions....

But have FUN!

I am so susceptible to mosquito bites that I can have several in two minutes - so many that they make my skin burn more than itch - are there mosquitoes - especially on the river- and ' date=' since i can't pack three weeks worth of OFF, is repellent available? :eek:[/quote']

Dear Carol,

I didn't see one mosquito on our trip in June. In fact, don't remember seeing many bugs at all.

Shannon

Didn't see any bugs either. Anywhere. And that's a GOOD thing! :D

I was not fired up about a bag drag either...we usually do the ocean liner thing with once-and-done on the unpacking. BUT -- if you plan your clothes well, and pack with the days en route in mind, it's a snap.

Someone else cares for the bags and boarding passes throughout, which is (excuse if I'm repeating myself from earlier posts) awesome!! I travel for a living and having someone else manage the airline minutia was a vacation in itself.

I heard a couple of minor grousing here about not sitting next to your partner on the in-country flights, but the flights are brief -- none was over 2 hrs long -- and my spouse and I struck up conversations with some lovely people that we may not have met if we had been sitting together as a couple.

I just count it part of the experience and move along with a smile.

http://www.ipassconnect.com/support_require

I used on iphone ... it was $10 for 1 month. Cheaper by year, if you travel often, or want to use wifi from laptops in US.

Following your suggestion, I called ipass, then, with their help, I found the laptop info. at iroam.com their phone was 866 454 7626

Not exactly what I was looking for, but may be OK for some.

Jerry

Following your suggestion, I called ipass, then, with their help, I found the laptop info. at iroam.com their phone was 866 454 7626

Not exactly what I was looking for, but may be OK for some.

Jerry

I used with iPhone in Jan (NCL Cruise) in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Turkey, Malta. Worked everywhere except in Egypt! I used Skype on iPhone to make free calls to US using wifi hotspots. Also to check emails.

According to a Twitter question about China:

"iPassCurrently ~760 iPass hotspots in Beijing and ~1375 in Shanghai. http://ipass.jiwire.com for specifics. Always adding more. @romeoscabout 19 hours ago from web"

I will renew for the 1 month and hope it works there. I know the small river towns won't have free wifi!

We took a laptop on our trip. We did not have any security issues. Our hotels all had room safes that would hold our laptop, a 13 inch screen (we opted to get a laptop with this size screen for the purpose of having a safe that would hold it). The ship also has a room safe, I can't recall if it was large enough to hold the LT. When in transit on a bus, the driver always stayed behind and secured the bus so belongs were safe to stay. You will have a wonderful experience in China. We were there 3 years ago and still reminisce about our trip.

We took a laptop on our trip. We did not have any security issues. Our hotels all had room safes that would hold our laptop, a 13 inch screen (we opted to get a laptop with this size screen for the purpose of having a safe that would hold it). The ship also has a room safe, I can't recall if it was large enough to hold the LT. When in transit on a bus, the driver always stayed behind and secured the bus so belongs were safe to stay. You will have a wonderful experience in China. We were there 3 years ago and still reminisce about our trip.

Thanks for your info! I am thinking of taking my small Macbook back to the country of it's origin, it bigger brother the 17" Macbook Pro will have to settle to see the pictures when we return home(LOL),

This is our 1st Rivercruise we have been cruising for 3 decades....

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions in regard to using a cell phone on this trip? I was thinking about renting one that works in China. It sounds like many of you are taking laptops, but I just want an easy way to check in with the family. I have not had the greatest luck using the ships email on previous cruises. Leaving for China in Sept.:)

We have ATT cell service with a Razor (Quad Bank) phone.

Everywhere we traveled in China our cell phone worked. There is great cell service coverage in China. We signed up for the WORLD TRAVELER (Not International) serivce so that we could make and receive calls in China and Hong Kong.

International service allows you to MAKE calls from the USA to other countries, but does not allow you to receive and make call in another country.

MSEm

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions in regard to using a cell phone on this trip? I was thinking about renting one that works in China. It sounds like many of you are taking laptops, but I just want an easy way to check in with the family. I have not had the greatest luck using the ships email on previous cruises. Leaving for China in Sept.:)

I have an iphone and use Skype to make free calls to computers and cheap calls to phones in US. I pay $10 for 1 month for ipass.com free wifi in over 1500 locations in Beijing and Shanghai. Numerous other sights? And I can check and send emails using wifi (also works in hotels)

Anyone on the Imperial Jewels tour starting November 5, 2009?

I guess for these cruises roll calls don't really get started.

I guess since all excursions are all inclusive not much interest in board, unlike ocean cruisers needing to plan for each excursion and saving money.

We on Imperial Jewels tour starting September 29, 2009 from Beijing. We fly over North Pole from Chicago. We are waiting for Visas now!

I started a roll call for my date, but no takers. Ps my email is romeosc@gmail.com

By the time you get there, my wife will have bought everything!

You're right - no need to join up on excursions.

That should be nice weather for you - I'm worried November will be cold.

We go over the north pole, too, out of Chicago - think we'll be able to see Santa? :p

Did you use the visa place Viking recommended? I guess we will since we won't be able to mail ours until until late Sept & I don't want to take a chance on a delay. Seems like other visa companies are a little cheaper but not much.

You're right - no need to join up on excursions.

That should be nice weather for you - I'm worried November will be cold.

We go over the north pole, too, out of Chicago - think we'll be able to see Santa? :p

Did you use the visa place Viking recommended? I guess we will since we won't be able to mail ours until until late Sept & I don't want to take a chance on a delay. Seems like other visa companies are a little cheaper but not much.

Yes we are using Generations. Wife's passport would expire in Jan (not six months left) so we had to have them renew hers first. We fly from Memphis to Chicago and then over the pole to Beijing. Santa Claus is on our flight... she buys evreything for everone to help world economy.

Sparky,

We're on the same China Viking trip as you! We'll have to meet. We are 2 couples, a bit older than you (early 60's). Looking forward to meeting you!

Denny and Cheryl (and Nancy and Jerry)

My wife and I must have whole ship to ourselves Sept 29th-- (LOL)

If any of you have any questions, feel free to email me dpump@aol.com Went on this trip last year, the Culutural Delights (Bejing to Shanghai).

Great!

Did you take computer with you.

We are going on Viking Spt 29th from Beijing. I have an iPhone and use ipass.com ($10 for 1 month) to get wifi connections in major areas. I can even make FREE phone calls using SKYPE!:p

It worked on our eastern Med cruise at all ports but Egypt.

Info I have so far for some ipass locations:

Beijing Days 1-3 773 locations found

Ritz-Carlton, Beijing Wifi Meeting rooms - Internet in rooms

Day 4 Beijiing Xian Softell Reminan Square

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-5949...re/index.shtml

(+86)29/87928888 - (+86)29/87928999

319 Dongxin Street Shaanxi Province 710004 XIAN, CHINA

Ana Grand Castle Hotel 12 Ring West Road 29/87211506 * Ethernet

Golden Flower Hotel Xian 8 Chang Le Road 29/83232981 * Ethernet

Huibin Garden Qujiang Hotel 8th South Yanta 29/87663333 * Wi-Fi

Hyatt Regency Xian 158 Dongfang Jie 8629-87691234 * Wi-Fi

Kempinski Hotel 1 Chanba Avenue Chanba Ecological District 29/83550000 * Ethernet

Shangri-La Hotel Xian 38B Keji Road 29/88758888 * Ethernet

Day 5 Chongqing

Hilton Hotel Zhong Shan San Road 23/89039999

Howard Johnson ITC Plaza Hotel 66 Qingnian Road 23/63666666

InterContinental Chongqing 101 Minzu Road * Ethernet

Peninsula Coffee Di Wang Store Yu Zhong District Min Zu Road 166 Hao * Wi-Fi

Day 9 Wuhan

31 locations found

Bin Jiang Resort

E Gang Hotel

Ge Lin Hao Tai Hotel

Holiday Inn Riverside

Holiday Inn Tian An

Hui Gu Shi Kong

Jiang Cheng Hotel

Jiang Xia Jiang Dou Hotel

Jin Jiang International Hotel

Jing Guan Lou

Day 9-10 Shanghai Portman Ritz Carlton

1960 locations found

10th Shanghai Automobile Inspection Station

3-U Development Inc

399 Lu Jia Bang Road market the first floor of fine fabrics No. II

54 Middle School Library

54 Middle School YiYue Building-3th

6th People's Hospital old student hostels -Main

9 ball pool hall will Xuhui shop

900 City Square

A Li Ba Ba Building

A Li Ba Ba Business Center-4tH quote.gif

No, no computer with me and glad I didn't. Really, no time except on the ship and they have (very poor, very expensive) internet on the boat. Phone service was almost impossible for me. I'd text the family and let them know I was alive and kicking. Worked fine for me.

Everyone who needed it, had the 800# for Viking if they really needed to get ahold of me.

Archived