Viking China

2tsquared

My husband and I will be on your tour. We are first time river cruisers and live in Seattle. We are leaving on the 27th and will hopefully have an additional day to see some things that Viking doesn't cover and get used to the time change. Sorry I can't help you out with the baggage question. We look forward to meeting you.

We leave Chicago at 12:41PM on 28th and arrive at 3:15 PM. We are at Ritz Carlton Financial District, are you?

When we flew to Australia, we were told crossing time zones west is worse on jet lag and I agree. We are flying over north pole, maybe easier? (LOL):D

Have a safe trip, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Romeosc - interesting that you find travelling west harder for jet lag. We fly Australia to Europe a bit and have always found the trip back worse for jet lag, not sure why but even flying in from Singapore to Sydney, only 8 hours, can be enough to throw us out for a day or so. Other Aussies seem to feel the same thing. We once did LA to London over the pole; think it was OK but it was a few years ago now. We go almost straight up to get from Sydney to Shanghai - think it is only a couple of hours difference, like Perth, Western Australia (and we can almost get jet lag going there from the east coast!). I am looking forward to hearing back from all you lucky people going soon - we still have a few monts to wait.

Romeosc - interesting that you find travelling west harder for jet lag. We fly Australia to Europe a bit and have always found the trip back worse for jet lag, not sure why but even flying in from Singapore to Sydney, only 8 hours, can be enough to throw us out for a day or so. Other Aussies seem to feel the same thing. We once did LA to London over the pole; think it was OK but it was a few years ago now. We go almost straight up to get from Sydney to Shanghai - think it is only a couple of hours difference, like Perth, Western Australia (and we can almost get jet lag going there from the east coast!). I am looking forward to hearing back from all you lucky people going soon - we still have a few months to wait.

Yes. Had the pleasure of staying there when on our trip. Actually, both hotels were Ritz's on our trip (Bejing and Shanghai) and then a Sofitel in Xian. Absolutely no complaints. Too bad we weren't in them long enough to really enjoy them. The Portman is surrounded by small shops, a Starbucks, some small shops, a pizza place, a sandwich/salad place. I took the time to walk around and enjoy it all.

We overlooked the city.

Yes. Had the pleasure of staying there when on our trip. Actually, both hotels were Ritz's on our trip (Bejing and Shanghai) and then a Sofitel in Xian. Absolutely no complaints. Too bad we weren't in them long enough to really enjoy them. The Portman is surrounded by small shops, a Starbucks, some small shops, a pizza place, a sandwich/salad place. I took the time to walk around and enjoy it all.

We overlooked the city.

"...yum Chinese Pizza! (LOL) .... We always take pictures of Kentucky Fried Chicken in Barcelona, Egypt etc!

We overlooked the city.

Did the PORTMAN have a room safe?

"...yum Chinese Pizza! (LOL) .... We always take pictures of Kentucky Fried Chicken in Barcelona, Egypt etc!

Funny you mention KFC.

:D :D Better take extra memory cards for your camera. It seemed there was one on every block. :D :D

Debbie, correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there a KFC mixed in amongst those shops at the Portman?

We will be leaving for China on September 10th. How much Chinese currency would you suggest we start off with? We plan to take U.S $1 & $5 and of course our credit cards.:confused: I would like to get the Chinese currency here in the States...... Any suggestions would be apprechiated.

Anne

Geez, $50-100 yuan?? Our guide, David, was a walking ATM for us and we all used him, so not enough. The American dollar was accepted in most places though and we were quoted in American by the 'vendors.'

I exchanged my American money for yuan at the Traveler's Xchange at the airport.

We will be leaving for China on September 10th. How much Chinese currency would you suggest we start off with? We plan to take U.S $1 & $5 and of course our credit cards.:confused: I would like to get the Chinese currency here in the States...... Any suggestions would be apprechiated.

Anne

Exchanging currency in China is a “piece of cake”. The Chinese are very accommodating. There was an ATM right at the luggage carrousel in the airport. I had exchanged currency before the luggage arrived. Also all our hotels had ATM’s. With the debit card I use there are no fees for the currency exchange or for using the ATM.

We are going on Viking in November (shortened - we meet the group in Chongqing on 12 Nov so not sure if anyone is on the same trip). We are really looking forward to it but the need to "borrow Imodium" is a little off-putting! I would hope not to need it :)

My husband and I are going on the Viking Century Sun in Nov. The trip is "Imperial Jewels". We fly to Shanghai on Nov. 4, and then to Wuhan on Nov. 7 to board the boat for the trip to Chongqing. We'll arrive there Nov. 12. From there we go to Xian, Beijing and Hong Kong. Is this the trip you will be joining?

We haven't met or heard from anyone else who's going on that date. We're looking forward to meeting any fellow travelers.

We're departing China about the time you arrive. We're going on the Cultural Delights cruise Oct. 20th. We've traveled with Viking before, on the Viking Neptune on their Grand European Tour cruise from Amsterdam - Budapest. Great trip, and we're looking forward to this one.

Hi Washington Apples

You must be on the one before us as we are going from Chongqing to Wuhan downstream. You look like you are going upstream - I think we will be meeting up with the people who fly into Beijing but our trip flies in and out of Shanghai (we fly straight through to Chongqing on the first day, overnight there and join the Century Sun on the 12th). A pity - we would have liked to have met someone else on the ship.

Jenny

Washington Apples --

Sounds like you're on the same tour as we are (my husband Rob & I and my mom & her friend). Also, dennyls, who has posted here in the last few weeks will be on the Imperial Jewels tour starting in Shanghai Nov. 5. They're a group of 4 also (Denny and Cheryl and Nancy and Jerry) so there will be a few cruise critic folks on that tour.

It's finally getting close - we booked over a year ago!

Leslie

After reading -some- of this thread, there appears to be a significant amount of concern about luggage types / sizes, weight limits, baggage contents, etc.

1) When it comes to sizes, we make sure we go under. If you're not.....there's nothing we can do but use other luggage. Thinking we'll skate by on the regulations....not as likely these days. Multiple travel forum reports indicate that airlines all over are stickier about this than in years past.

2) When it comes to weight, we always assume that we're going to be charged if we go over. We've come close.....but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. If something is important enough to us, we plan to pay. Given the chronic financial difficulties of airlines, I also think it's unlikely we'd get dispensation here.

3) The regulations re: allowable contents are not only displayed in airports, but they're almost always published somewhere on the relevant website. We think it's a good idea to check before we go, even if we've traveled to the same location before; things can change. Google is our friend. A faux pas we continually witness is people being forced to discard bottled water at security; it's like they've never traveled before. Tip (not to be used in China, given the public water supply): empty out the water in the rest room prior to security. The empty bottle sails through (they don't care about the container, only the contents), and fill up the bottle at a water fountain inside the checkpoint.

4) As far as the individual doing the checking....well, that's why we call them "individuals." If they have latitude in checking, or think they do, they may use it. Our approach is to try to do whatever we can to make their day as easy as possible, and hope for reciprocity. We would like to think that all officials will apply the rules with complete impartiality and equity, but that's not human nature, never has been, isn't now, and I wouldn't give a nickel that it'll ever change.

My brother is a TSA agent at an airport not to be named, in a supervisory position, and freely admits that getting personnel to apply all regulations consistently, apply them evenly, and not go beyond that, is a large and ongoing effort on the part of management. If I think about it for a minute, though, TSA has only been around for 8 years, so the maximum amount of time they've had to build up experienced and senior people isn't all that long, compared to other organizations. And given that they had to start staffing pretty willy-nilly after 9/11, and the pay scale....let's just say that a lot of these people aren't rocket scientists. The best advice I could give anyone traveling by air these days is to know the territory & CHILL OUT. Believe me, and I have this from one who does it daily, there is NOTHING to be gained by making a scene or copping an attitude at a security checkpoint. Beforehand, even if one is used to getting what one wants by this sort of behavior in other venues, just remember that the bureaucracy in question has unlimited time to deal with the traveler who makes a scene, and we only have a limited amount of time to catch our plane.

After reading -some- of this thread, there appears to be a significant amount of concern about luggage types / sizes, weight limits, baggage contents, etc.

1) When it comes to sizes, we make sure we go under. If you're not.....there's nothing we can do but use other luggage. Thinking we'll skate by on the regulations....not as likely these days. Multiple travel forum reports indicate that airlines all over are stickier about this than in years past.

2) When it comes to weight, we always assume that we're going to be charged if we go over. We've come close.....but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. If something is important enough to us, we plan to pay. Given the chronic financial difficulties of airlines, I also think it's unlikely we'd get dispensation here.

3) The regulations re: allowable contents are not only displayed in airports, but they're almost always published somewhere on the relevant website. We think it's a good idea to check before we go, even if we've traveled to the same location before; things can change. Google is our friend. A faux pas we continually witness is people being forced to discard bottled water at security; it's like they've never traveled before. Tip (not to be used in China, given the public water supply): empty out the water in the rest room prior to security. The empty bottle sails through (they don't care about the container, only the contents), and fill up the bottle at a water fountain inside the checkpoint.

4) As far as the individual doing the checking....well, that's why we call them "individuals." If they have latitude in checking, or think they do, they may use it. Our approach is to try to do whatever we can to make their day as easy as possible, and hope for reciprocity. We would like to think that all officials will apply the rules with complete impartiality and equity, but that's not human nature, never has been, isn't now, and I wouldn't give a nickel that it'll ever change.

My brother is a TSA agent at an airport not to be named, in a supervisory position, and freely admits that getting personnel to apply all regulations consistently, apply them evenly, and not go beyond that, is a large and ongoing effort on the part of management. If I think about it for a minute, though, TSA has only been around for 8 years, so the maximum amount of time they've had to build up experienced and senior people isn't all that long, compared to other organizations. And given that they had to start staffing pretty willy-nilly after 9/11, and the pay scale....let's just say that a lot of these people aren't rocket scientists. The best advice I could give anyone traveling by air these days is to know the territory & CHILL OUT. Believe me, and I have this from one who does it daily, there is NOTHING to be gained by making a scene or copping an attitude at a security checkpoint. Beforehand, even if one is used to getting what one wants by this sort of behavior in other venues, just remember that the bureaucracy in question has unlimited time to deal with the traveler who makes a scene, and we only have a limited amount of time to catch our plane.

Our only concerns were the intra-China flights.

My wife and I are used to ocean cruising, where we arrive with 2 suitcases each containing a suitcase, so we leave with 4 and have room for purchases. We decided to bring "disposable" clothes, so she has more room for shopping. We always carry a portable luggage scale, as well as many other items that can be left behind if overweight. Some items on our normal packing lists are:

We now travel to enjoy. We do not pack formal wear. We are there to enjoy not impress. We have made many friends, but we don't want to waste luggage space that we can use for gifts for friends.

Also some Quick Tips:

(Pack some small items that come in handy)

Portable luggage scale (about $10)

Traveling alarm clock

European Power Adapters

Pack a couple of cheap extension cords and 3-in-1 adapters(never enough AC outlets to charge everything) (to be left behind)

Super Glue, Duct Tape & 2 part epoxy .... be prepared!

Ace Bandages, Pepto Bismo and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens.

We take 5 packs of rain ponchos from dollar store(2 for a $1) I gave them free to friends in Rome.... I could of paid for my cruise if I had a case of them (LOL)!

SD cards, batteries ( I even carry a second cheap digital camera and at least 1 SD per day.) If camera is stolen or lost, you only loose that 1 days pictures... not the entire cruise!

I number SD Cards 1-25 and have a sheet of paper with same numbers and a line so I can fill in where each SD card was used.

We pack a folding suitcase in each suitcase to put dirty clothes in and leave room for souvenirs.

Detergent in Zip Lock bags to do washables in room.

Pack several size Zip lock bags

I take a separate file folder with info about excursions, etc for each port. Later I empty pockets into them every day with receipts, tickets, postcards etc. from each port.

I also vacuum pack clothes (SpaceBags) and when we are ready to repack pack small shot glasses etc inside cloths and borrow maids vacuum and reduce to smaller size, and keeps in odors.

Take a list of addresses and contacts to send post cards and to call in case of emergency. Have neighbors and friends numbers in case they need to turn off alarm or other emergency. Pre-address postcards to save time and write on plane or during down time.

Take business cards or print personal cards with your contact info... easier than trying to find a piece of paper and pen to write your email and contact info for all your new friends!

I notify all Credit card companies with list of countries we are visiting!

Make sure you and spouse are taking credit cards with different numbers... if one is stolen and canceled (make photocopies) the others are still usable!

Take a unlocked quad band phone and buy a world sim card for it. Incoming calls are free in most ports. We always use it on deck after re-boarding ship to call US... normally morning in US!

Outgoing calls are $0.35 per minute to US. (Give that number to friends and credit card companies in case of emergency.)

When returning, we dispose of ponchos, umbrellas and other weight not valuable enough to return to US!

People have mentioned buying souvenir items like silk and ivory in various threads. Can't find any mention of anyone buying pearls. Also, I have as yet run into no comments on anyone having customs problems on return- items confiscated or etc. I assume that anything new made of ivory would be contraband as far as U.S. Customs are concerned. Any experiences to relate?

People have mentioned buying souvenir items like silk and ivory in various threads. Can't find any mention of anyone buying pearls. Also, I have as yet run into no comments on anyone having customs problems on return- items confiscated or etc. I assume that anything new made of ivory would be contraband as far as U.S. Customs are concerned. Any experiences to relate?

Only thing that I have heard is one friend was stopped and questioned about some DVDs he purchased with PC software on it. Adobe Photoshop etc!

As we were leaving Shanghai, one of our friends had an epi pen in her carry on. Had the pharmacy label on it, original container, written rx by the doc, everything. It was decided it was a weapon!

They were taken into a special room, every piece of luggage was searched, then were forced to sign some document. Fortunately, our tour guide (the one with you the entire time) realized all this and came in and after some yelling at each other in Chinese, they were allowed to go. Neither of them have any desire to ever go back to China again. Sure enough, as we were going through the long security lines, here they are, stopped again, this time the 'weapon' found was one of those tiny sewing kits you get in hotel rooms. We thought it was funny, they were mortified.

As we were leaving Shanghai, one of our friends had an epi pen in her carry on. Had the pharmacy label on it, original container, written rx by the doc, everything. It was decided it was a weapon!

They were taken into a special room, every piece of luggage was searched, then were forced to sign some document. Fortunately, our tour guide (the one with you the entire time) realized all this and came in and after some yelling at each other in Chinese, they were allowed to go. Neither of them have any desire to ever go back to China again. Sure enough, as we were going through the long security lines, here they are, stopped again, this time the 'weapon' found was one of those tiny sewing kits you get in hotel rooms. We thought it was funny, they were mortified.

I have no problem with anything concerning security. I always try to get to airport with plenty of times for security inspections and delays. Then relax and listen to an audio book on iPhone. Anxiety kills and we ARE on vacation! Enjoy the experience, life is too short. You had the right attitude. Laugh, so you don't cry.

Archived