Viking China

2tsquared

Just had to respond to being first to be served at the communal table! The plate you have will be much to small to take a complete meal at one passing.

Hi Dale, Dpump, Lady Meer!:D

You can be first in the buffet line, though.

Yes, the paltes for the communal table will be too small for a complete meal. I just avoided the food that people had dipped their personal utensils into.

You can be first in the buffet line, though.

Yes, the paltes for the communal table will be too small for a complete meal. I just avoided the food that people had dipped their personal utensils into.

You mean we have dippers out there?

Just returned from the Viking Cultural Delight trip. Had a wonderful time, no major problems. Viking personnel did an excellent job. Only complaint was that the cabins on the ship were extremely damp. Several people experienced upper respitory problems and had to see the doctor on board the ship. All of our hotels were extremely nice. Just a note: we had planned to use our credit cards to tip our tour guide at the end of the trip, however, this was not possible. We found this out in time, so that we could save back enough cash for the tip. Some folks in our group had to make a trip to ATM at the end of the trip to pay the tour guide.

I've read that there's no need to bring a hairdryer as they are provided in all hotel rooms / ship's cabins. But can anyone tell me if they are okay to use or if they're the kind that don't really have enough oomph to dry hair? Some hotel versions don't work as well as asking your travel companion to blow on you would ;)

I have a small travel version but hate to give up even that little bit of weight if I'm trying to stay within 44 lbs and it's truly not needed.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I have a cut and paste word Doc started and lots of bookmarked sites. Looking forward to seeing everyones pictures and Gerry's review of the trip. Saving that for another time.

The only other river cruise was on AMA Amadagio '06 Budapest to Amsterdam and we enjoyed that.

I've read that there's no need to bring a hairdryer as they are provided in all hotel rooms / ship's cabins. But can anyone tell me if they are okay to use or if they're the kind that don't really have enough oomph to dry hair? Some hotel versions don't work as well as asking your travel companion to blow on you would ;)

I have a small travel version but hate to give up even that little bit of weight if I'm trying to stay within 44 lbs and it's truly not needed.

I was worried too, but all the dryers were adequate for my long hair.

Hi Leslie,

Yep, we are on the Nov. 5th trip, and beginning to get excited about it. Have you heard anything about the quarantine issue--apparently if anyone on your plane within 3 rows ahead or behind you has a fever, everyone in those 6 or 7 rows is quarantined for what could be up to 6 days.

I talked to Viking today, and they said they have only had a few cases of that happening, but if it does happen, you're sorta out of luck!

Denny

The hair dryers work really well. You are really going to enjoy this trip. We tried to stay within the 44 Ibs limit (just a little over and we did not have any problems). As far as carryon luggage our tour guide told us not to worry about it, because no one would count how much you had. On our last china flight I (along with many others) had 1 large carryon and 2 big bags and no one said anything.

Thanks for the hairdryer reassurance - I won't bother to take mine.

Wow Denny - I don't like the sound of that!!!! I hadn't read anything about quarantining passengers who aren't sick themselves. Oh my. I'm going to try not to worry about that and just cross my fingers.

We were given special respirator masks at work that actually filter out swine flu virus (unlike most masks you see people wearing) - maybe I should take them on the plane - wonder if that would give us an edge.

How do they know who has a fever - do they go around with thermometers through the plane??

Thanks for the hairdryer reassurance - I won't bother to take mine.

Wow Denny - I don't like the sound of that!!!! I hadn't read anything about quarantining passengers who aren't sick themselves. Oh my. I'm going to try not to worry about that and just cross my fingers.

We were given special respirator masks at work that actually filter out swine flu virus (unlike most masks you see people wearing) - maybe I should take them on the plane - wonder if that would give us an edge.

How do they know who has a fever - do they go around with thermometers through the plane??

The whole point of quarantine is to prevent anyone who might be infective (in a condition where they can communicate a disease to someone else) from coming into contact with a general population. This doesn't mean just people who are showing symptoms. One infective person could infect many others, who themselves would have a longer or shorter period of latency (period during which the disease manifests no symptoms). Quarantine periods are based on this latency, and many people will have to endure quarantine who may or may not become sick later themselves. That's just the way it is.

We were on the China Cultural July 21 and loved the whole experience! You must roll with whatever happens when you are taking an adventure!! I was in China 21 years ago and the changes are many but the people are still the same, loving & gentle. I will warn everyone NOT to purchase the DVD (comes with a book also) that is for purchase on the small local boat you take thru the 3 Gorges. It will not play in USA. It is about $15 so not a huge loss to us! However we wish we had purchased the Viking on board DVD that is being made of your entire trip, I think it was $50 or so. Everyone says it is fabulous!! Is anyone who is going in Oct. or Nov. willing to purchase one for us of our trip? Very small lightweight package. If so please contact us dosnomads@comcast.net. also any questions you might have about this fabulous trip. Jesse was our escourt/guide for the entire trip and super!! GM1:confused::o

If you bought a silk comforter, could you reply about the pros or cons to

the purchase. Also, how small of a size were they able to compress it to?

Thanks in advance.

We bought a king size one when on the silk factory tour. It was packaged into a carry case that was approximately 18" x 18" x 6". We liked it so much, we bought 7 in November last year for Christmas presents for relatives and friends. DW found them on Overstock.com. Can't remember what we paid in China, but they were about $63 each from overstock including shipping.They have amazing warmth for weight, and we like it better than down (also no allergic issues with silk vs down).

I just checked overstock and they are listed at $71. url is

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Silk-Filled-Damask-Stripe-260tc-Comforter/1847357/product.html

If you want to order from overstock, I have a promo code that might work thru 10/11. I'm not sure if it is unique to us, but it is 144890 for 7% off.

We would love feedback on the Westins in Beijing and Shanghai, and the Golden Flower in Xian. Thanks.

We stayed at both Westins in July and they were super wonderful, especially the one in Shanghai where we actually had an unblievable suite on 22nd. floor. The premium package people also stayed here but in a different tower. I cannot imagine how great their room must have been! We also stayed at the Golden Flower in Xian which was just ok. You aren't there but 1 night and it was clean with good bathroom and the breakfast buffet was fabulous. We loved it all!!!!! GMA1 :o

I just wanted to comment on the luggage weight concern. There were scales in each hotel and on the boat. (bottom shelf of night stand) Also several purchased extra pieces of luggage at the end of the trip since the flight home wasn't as restrictive. Our China inter flights luggage were all collected early and weighed together so who knew! We never saw them until they appeared in the hotel room or cabin! GM!;)

The hair dryers work really well. You are really going to enjoy this trip. We tried to stay within the 44 Ibs limit (just a little over and we did not have any problems). As far as carryon luggage our tour guide told us not to worry about it, because no one would count how much you had. On our last china flight I (along with many others) had 1 large carryon and 2 big bags and no one said anything.

The only real angst about the 44lbs was in and out of Tibet, the rationale being (at least for leaving) the ability to get the plane off the ground at 12,000 ft, although you could carry on anything you were able to carry.

By the way, I just got a check from our health insurance for the doctor in Tibet - I was surprised because I thought I would have to submit their denial to the travel insurance company to get paid by them. I just sent in the pieces of paper - diagnosis and receipt - in Chinese, that the doctor gave me!!

The only real angst about the 44lbs was in and out of Tibet' date=' the rationale being (at least for leaving) the ability to get the plane off the ground at 12,000 ft, although you could carry on anything you were able to carry.

By the way, I just got a check from our health insurance for the doctor in Tibet - I was surprised because I thought I would have to submit their denial to the travel insurance company to get paid by them. I just sent in the pieces of paper - diagnosis and receipt - in Chinese, that the doctor gave me!![/quote']

what was the sickness you neded medical help for? On our recent Viking cruisetour 9/11 -9/27 Shanghai to Beijing many people got sick during and after

Archived