Viking China

2tsquared

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions. I am thankful for all of them. Getting cortisone shots in both knees before we leave and hoping that will help.

Dorothy

Dorothy - I brought collapsible (20.5" - fits in a suitcase) trekking poles which were helpful on the Great Wall and a few other areas.

WIT

Where did you find the Treking Poles? We are also going to Alaska on Aug 1 for a HAL CruiseTour, 3 day cruise + 10 day tour starting in Skagway to Anchorage. Adding 2 night to go to Kenai Fjords. Treking poles will probably be usefule there also. We were looking at doing the VR China in Spring 2008, then found VR added the Nov 6 date for 2007. With the traditions for Thanksgiving early winter storms for a busy weekend, I wonder which airport we may have Thanksgiving. Departure from Beijing is Wednesday, Nov 21. We are to departure and return to Atlanta.

Where did you find the Treking Poles? We are also going to Alaska on Aug 1 for a HAL CruiseTour, 3 day cruise + 10 day tour starting in Skagway to Anchorage. Adding 2 night to go to Kenai Fjords. Treking poles will probably be usefule there also. We were looking at doing the VR China in Spring 2008, then found VR added the Nov 6 date for 2007. With the traditions for Thanksgiving early winter storms for a busy weekend, I wonder which airport we may have Thanksgiving. Departure from Beijing is Wednesday, Nov 21. We are to departure and return to Atlanta.

Since you will probably want to transport one or both poles in your suitcase I recommend poles that are 4 sections & collapsible to 20.5". Here are some:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=trekking+pole+20.5+4+section&btnG=Google+Search

If from an overseas supplier, it may take a while for your order to arrive. Mine were from the UK and I waited about three weeks.

Wise choice to go this year. China will be overloaded with the Olympics in 08.

WIT

Thanks for the info on the Trekking Poles. I will need to get them on-line. Nothing like REI, Any Mountain in our area. Will definitely get the folding type.

Also what type of electrical plug adaptors will I need. I have several from Germany and 220V hair dryer, curling iron, and hot curlers. Chargers for cameras will work on 220V but I still need to make sure I have the correct adpator. I also travel with a small electrical cord with a multi-plug. When we lived in Europe (1975-80) I had to have electrical adaptors for some of the places stayed.

Thanks for the help.

Felicia,

Remember to practice using chop sticks!!

Jerry

I'm a list maker - love to make them, love to update them, love to check off things. I have now added practicing chop sticks on my list of things to do. Thanks for the idea.

Felicia

Dorothy - You can count on getting help in Fengdu where there are 160 steps to the first street on the city.

WIT

I read someone's post saying there was someplace (I thought Fengdu) where the steps from the boat to the town was 300+ steps. Maybe the water has risen and made fewer steps?

Anyway, I was wondering what the maximum number of steps was you encountered anywhere in China and where it was. I really like having a goal to set and reach.

Felicia

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions. I am thankful for all of them. Getting cortisone shots in both knees before we leave and hoping that will help.

Dorothy

Wow, what a good idea! Will the shots last you for 2 weeks?

Felicia

I read someone's post saying there was someplace (I thought Fengdu) where the steps from the boat to the town was 300+ steps. Maybe the water has risen and made fewer steps?

Anyway, I was wondering what the maximum number of steps was you encountered anywhere in China and where it was. I really like having a goal to set and reach.

Felicia

Felicia - Fengdu had 160 steps up to the street a month ago and was the most steps in any one place that must be climbed to do anything that day. The Great Wall has many more to the top of the highest visible part in Badaling, but you can get up to the first level (that's where you take the group picture) in less than 50 steps, but I don't recall seeing any bearers.

If you opt to go to the Snow Jade Cave (I did not) there are many steps there as well. Jerry, did you do the cave? Alternately you may visit the city for a tour, get entertained by folks displaced by the Three Gorges Project, and check out their substantial local produce market. Keep in mind that all the creatures there are present because someone thinks they are tasty.

If you enjoy setting personal goals, you might enjoy the Tai Chi practice taught on the boat. It was a nice start (7AM) start to the day. A massage on the boat is reasonably priced and quite professional. I had the quigong (martial arts) massage - a new one for me - and found it wonderfully energizing.

WIT

happytotravel

first, we found there to be about 40 students in each classroom. We were told to present any and all gifts to the teacher, not to any individual children.

Some ideas in our group (April 11) brought - stickers, teaching flash cards, crayons, coloring books, pencils, paper flowers etc. Everything donated is appreciated - and yes, much of what you can find was "made in China" - but don't let that influence your decision about what to bring.

Jerry

Thank you to both Coasters and WIT, icon7.gif

I appreciate the information given as well as the wonderful photos.

Still a few months to go but we are looking forward to seeing this exciting country.

happytotravel icon7.gif

We did speak with a couple who split ...he took the cave tour... she, New City.

Later, after seeing our video and learning more about the New City Tour, they said that they both should have done New City. "A cave is a cave" was the remark from the husband.

We found the New City a wonderfuly cultural experience, the people and their prepared entertainment, quite touching and memorable.

Jerry

We are in the process of booking the Nov 6, 2007 China Cultural Delights with Hong Kong pre tour. How much free time do you have during the tour. I am planning on taking some reading material for the plane trip. Should I also planning some books to read during free time during the tour?

WIT: Looking on one line for Trekking (Hiking) poles. Sounds like a great idea. Did you get a model with "Schock Absporters"? Thanks,

PS Anyone one booking Nov 6 China, please contact me. msem2@cableone.net

I was told that VRC processes all credit card payments in Europe. If you have made a VRC reservations where you charged fees by the credit card company for foreign transactions or exchange fees?

What was your experience using credit card with Viking River Cruises?

MSEm

I used my Amex CC to pay VRC..they did not charge me any fee for the exchange, if fact, they gave me a better rate than the ship had calculated.

On board the ship when in China, VRC did not accept Travelers Checks or Diners Club cards for settlement.

Jerry

Read in Wall Street Journal about the recent China/USA trade negoiations. There are currently 10 daily fights between China and USA. In 2010 there will be 23 daily flights allowed. That's a big increase.

Yes, We agree...antibiotcs are taken much too casually. Better to see the Doctor on the ship and refrain from making your own diagnosis (or taking meds).

Also, speak to your MD before leaving about taking aspirin for long seated trips. It's not for everyone and can be harmful in some cases.

While on the subject, I know many of you are preparing to take hand sanitizers. Read the following TOXIN WARNING from snopes regarding children and hand sanitizers:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

Jerry

travelsfun -

The New City Tour was beautifully organized by Viking!!

Not to worry... They schedule some time for you to do street shopping and to mingle with the locals during the tour.

You will enjoy! Remember - bring plenty of American one dollar bills!!

You're welcome to read my journal for more info if interested.

http://glevitz.com/ebayimages/vikingjournal.htm

Jerry

I was wondering if I should take instant Hot Chocolate packets, especially sugar free. On cool evenings I like sugar free hot chocolate. Should I plan on taking my own sugar free chocolate? Is there hot water for drinks available on the boat?

Thanks,

I was wondering if I should take instant Hot Chocolate packets, especially sugar free. On cool evenings I like sugar free hot chocolate. Should I plan on taking my own sugar free chocolate? Is there hot water for drinks available on the boat?

Thanks,

Good idea..there is a water boiler (pot) in every cabin. (and in every hotel room we were in) Boiled water (rolling boil for 2 minutes) should be safe, or you can use the bottled water provided daily.

We brought 2 plastic travel mugs which came in handy for early morning coffee "to go" from the bar, lobby or dining room. The ship did not have paper or Styrofoam cups, so these were perfect. We made our own iced tea in the evening...remember also to ask for ice from the cabin attendant.

Jerry

We are going on the cultural delights tour at the end of August and we just got our VISA's and passports back. How soon will Viking let us know what our plane arrangements will be?

Our Viking package arrived exactly 1 month before the beginning of the trip.

Jerry

Below is a link to this month's city briefing from Economist.com. Something for everyone - shopping, culture, restaurants, history. Once you know which hotel you will have (ours was the China World in the Trade Center), you can plan what you may have a chance to see or do in the limited free time available in Beijing. We went to the Pearl Factory (5 minute walk from hotel).

http://www.economist.com/cities/briefing.cfm?city_id=BJS

WIT

Beehive,

We're on the same trip and just heard from our TA regarding the flights. According to her, Boston area people leave Boston at 6:25 AM with a change of planes in Toronto - then on to Shanghai arriving there 1:05 PM Aug 26th. Returning Sept 10 out of Beijing at 5:30 PM to Toronto, change of planes there and in to Boston at 10:03 PM. All flights are on Air Canada.

It is certainly possible they will route you differently, but that is what we were told here south of Boston.

BTW, we were told not to get our China VISA more than 90 days prior to arrival in China - I'm sending mine out this week. I may have been misinformed about that, but you might want to check to be sure you are in that 90 day window if you already have them back. I was in China last summer and they seemed to have watched that 90 days pretty closely.

It's getting close and that is very exciting. I have a North Cape cruise in July so the waiting is more bearable!!

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Pat

Archived