Viking China

2tsquared

Greetings!

I "drifted" across this message board while deciding whether to make the Imperial Jewels of China our first river cruise. Your postings helped us make an informed decision.

We are now looking forward to the September 16, 2007 - Shanghai to Beijing Imperial Jewels of China tour. As we plan what items to take and what items are best left at home, I'm curious to know what accessories (laptop, binoculars, flashlight, flipflops, whatever!) you brought that were beneficial and what items sat unused in the corner of your suitcase taking up space/weight.

Again, thank you for your past postings and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Kindest regards. . .

D & D

Greetings!

We are now looking forward to the September 16, 2007 - Shanghai to Beijing Imperial Jewels of China tour.

Whoo hoo, someone else on the same itinerary that I'm on! It will be nice to meet you!

Felicia

Hello to everyone. I've been reading a lot on this board and finally have decided to post a question. It's a little embarrassing.

My wife and I are considering a trip to China, but I'm concerned about my size. I weigh 300 pounds and am concerned about this in regard to China, specifically the flights that are in China itself. What are the seat sizes like? Will I need a seat belt extension (I generally do not on U.S. flights, although it's a tight squeeze!) and if I do, do these Chinese airlines provide them?

Are there any other areas where my size might be a hindrance? I am able to walk up the steps I've been reading about, so that is not a problem.

I need your input on this before we make this decision. Thank you.

Ralph

My wife has trouble wearing sneakers that have a back on them. The most comfortable for her are the backless ones. Will she be OK wearing backless sneakers. The only thing that may negatively effect her walking would be uneven walkways like cobblestone.

Thanks

My wife has trouble wearing sneakers that have a back on them. The most comfortable for her are the backless ones. Will she be OK wearing backless sneakers. The only thing that may negatively effect her walking would be uneven walkways like cobblestone.

Thanks

There are many uneven surfaces you will have to walk on while on tours. While in the hotel, on the ship and in the city, the backless will be fine. For the more "ancient" sights, take walking shoes to be sure.

Jerry

Hello to everyone. I've been reading a lot on this board and finally have decided to post a question. It's a little embarrassing.

My wife and I are considering a trip to China, but I'm concerned about my size. I weigh 300 pounds and am concerned about this in regard to China, specifically the flights that are in China itself. What are the seat sizes like? Will I need a seat belt extension (I generally do not on U.S. flights, although it's a tight squeeze!) and if I do, do these Chinese airlines provide them?

Are there any other areas where my size might be a hindrance? I am able to walk up the steps I've been reading about, so that is not a problem.

Ralph

Ralph,

I personally (big guy) found the seats on the China flights a bit roomier than on US carriers. I'd suggest you phone the carrier to inquire about extension belts.

Non of the larger guests on our trip seemed to have trouble getting around.

Jerry

Ralph

If you book your flights through United you can purchase 6" extra leg room for you and your partner for an entire year. We used it for our 4/07 Viking China tour and will enjoy the extra room this October going to Budapest and to return from Istanbul. The intra-China flights were all on roomy, modern planes.

WIT

Greetings!

I "drifted" across this message board while deciding whether to make the Imperial Jewels of China our first river cruise. Your postings helped us make an informed decision.

We are now looking forward to the September 16, 2007 - Shanghai to Beijing Imperial Jewels of China tour. As we plan what items to take and what items are best left at home, I'm curious to know what accessories (laptop, binoculars, flashlight, flipflops, whatever!) you brought that were beneficial and what items sat unused in the corner of your suitcase taking up space/weight.

Again, thank you for your past postings and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Kindest regards. . .

D & D

Suggest you make time to read thru the postings on this site for answers to your question.

You will find just about everything anyone has ever packed (or should have) here... Just too much to start from scratch, especially since it would be repetitive.

Hint..try the "search" for specifics.

Jerry

Ralph

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to know the seats are roomier.

Ralph

Ralphy, we had no trouble anywhere flying around China.We are both biggies,and had a ball everywhere.Alto' with bad backs, don't manage steps too well.

this will be our first trip on a cruise in China-on Victoria Prince-departing Shanghai 25th August.

:)

helga

Returned yesterday from our wonderful journey to China on Imperial Jewels itinerary from Shanghai to Beijing.

Dorothy

Dorothy:

I'm excited reading about how much you enjoyed the trip and that Viking was everything I've been reading about!

Did you participate in the Tai Chi classes?

And did you get to the section of the wall where you get the certificate?

Any particular shopping items you brought back?

Felicia

Thanks, Felicia. I'm looking forward to meeting you. We have a lot of catching up to do since we only recently decided on the trip. The lists have begun. . . .

-D-

LOL, I'll see your list and raise you a million lists! Seriously, I love travel lists. I have a list of things to do with due dates, packing list, and things to buy list. I find it fun to check off things and see the time ticking away.

It's only 50 something days before we leave!

I am going to assume you're on Northwest from Minneapolis. I hope you have a direct non stop flight.

Felicia

LOL, I'll see your list and raise you a million lists! Seriously, I love travel lists. I have a list of things to do with due dates, packing list, and things to buy list. I find it fun to check off things and see the time ticking away.

It's only 50 something days before we leave!

I am going to assume you're on Northwest from Minneapolis. I hope you have a direct non stop flight.

Felicia

We haven't yet received our flight information but I don't believe there are non-stops out of Mpls. But, it's a long flight so I really wouldn't mind the stretch.

Ralphy, we had no trouble anywhere flying around China.We are both biggies,and had a ball everywhere.Alto' with bad backs, don't manage steps too well.

this will be our first trip on a cruise in China-on Victoria Prince-departing Shanghai 25th August.

:)

helga

Helga, would you mind emailing me (instead of posting on here) in regard to this question: Could you give the measurements of someone who you consider large enough to fly without any problems? I'm aware this is highly personal and that's why I suggest you email me instead of posting it. Sometimes people say "I'm just so huge" when they are 10 pounds overweight, so it's all subjective.

My email is Ausge@comcast.net

I would really appreciate it. It would ease my mind tremendously.

Thank you.

Ralph

Dorothy:

I'm excited reading about how much you enjoyed the trip and that Viking was everything I've been reading about!

Did you participate in the Tai Chi classes?

And did you get to the section of the wall where you get the certificate?

Any particular shopping items you brought back?

Felicia

Felicia...Did not attend the Tai Chi classes (too early in the morning for me)

I have two troublesome knees so did not attempt to climb to the top of the wall...did manage about 20 steps up, tho. When we first got off the bus at the Wall, there were vendors selling walking sticks for $16.00...some bought them...about 10 feet away, they were selling for $2.00! Lots of angry ladies when they saw that price!

Not a big shopper. Bought Olympic T-shirts for my sons and hubby at the Great Wall Olympic shop..that was the only place in China that you couldn't bargain!

At Xian, bought a set of little terra cotta warriors and a book about the warriors signed by one of the farmers who discovered them. He is there signing the books but do not dare take a photo of him!!

Found some cute little cell phone holders that look like Chinese dresses for some of my gal friends. They were in the gift shop at the airport in Xian.

Hope that answers your questions.

Dorothy

I have two troublesome knees so did not attempt to climb to the top of the wall...did manage about 20 steps up, tho. When we first got off the bus at the Wall, there were vendors selling walking sticks for $16.00...some bought them...about 10 feet away, they were selling for $2.00! Lots of angry ladies when they saw that price!

Not a big shopper. Bought Olympic T-shirts for my sons and hubby at the Great Wall Olympic shop..that was the only place in China that you couldn't bargain!

At Xian, bought a set of little terra cotta warriors and a book about the warriors signed by one of the farmers who discovered them. He is there signing the books but do not dare take a photo of him!!

Found some cute little cell phone holders that look like Chinese dresses for some of my gal friends. They were in the gift shop at the airport in Xian.

Dorothy

Couldn't help but tell you that the same miniature Terra Cotta solder sets that were $50.00 when we arrived April 2007) and stepped off the tour bus were $2.00 when we returned and were ready to leave.

That's US dollars.

Even so, the trip was spectacular! (and we didn't buy the $50.00 set)

Jerry

We are on the Viking trip starting August 21st, and have not received our packet yet...has anyone received theirs yet for this trip? I plan to contact our travel agent today!

Paul and Bobbie

We are on the Viking trip starting August 15th and haven't received our packet yet. Still hoping to get it this week!!!

Imelda

We are on the 8/15 Cultural Delights tour, and I called Viking last night. My packet had just been mailed via FedEx 2nd day. They gave me a tracking number, and later I had an email with the tracking number too. I should have my packet by Monday (2 weeks prior to leaving)

So, If your trip is on the 25th, I would expect the packet to be mailed in about 10 days.:)

We got home Wed. from our trip. Everything was wonderful. The weather was hot and humid, but we had no rain. Nobody on the tour got sick, lost or injured and except for our luggage missing the connecting flight ,we got it the next day, all was perfect. Viking takes very good care of their passengers. Frank, our tour leader was grreat and took care of all the details.

China is awesome. Enjoy you trip.

Dorothy

Dorothy:

Interesting......... and I'm not a big shopper either. I plan on buying a terra cotta warrior (the little one, not life size, LOL) and a couple of other souvenirs for people back home, but nothing too large.

I was wondering, though, if anyone knows if there are "regular" stores. When I say "regular", I mean places similar to Walgreens or Sears.....I always enjoy shopping in the foreign version of places like this. I find you can usually see how the locals shop for every day items; i.e., batteries, note pads, laundry detergent, etc.

Felicia

Archived