Help with prices for chair rental etc at Magens Bay Beach/experiences there

cubalinda

Hi there. I will be in St. Thomas on a cruise stop and will be going on a Sight-seeing and Beach time Tour (as yet to be determined), but I do know that I want to go to Magens bay Beach as part of the excursion and I would appreciate your help.

Can someone chime in with fairly recent prices for chair and umbrella rental?

Where do I rent them from while there? If more than one location; do you know which is best?

I think there will be 2 to 3 ships in port that day and anticipate it being busy. I won't be snorkeling so that doesn't matter to me.

How was it for you? Was it jam-packed and affected your enjoyment there? What were your experiences there?

Of course the food/drink prices will be fairly high;is that a fair assessment? Any recommendations or is it just available from concession stands?

Your input is appreciated.

If you have a Tour for sightseeing and beach time you can recommend that would be great too.

Thanks.

Magens Bay Boutique, which is next door to the only food concession stand which is very visible after you pass the entry gate, rents the chairs. The beach also has picnic tables that anyone can use for free. Can't remember cost of chairs, but may be $7? There is natural shaxe at Magens so I don't think they rent umbrellas. Chair rental may be included on ship tours.

Prices for food and drink are pretty much the same island wide. I bought a slice of cheese pizza for $3 and American beer was either $3 or $4. There are other menu items and they may be found on the Magens Bay Authority website.

Magens Bay is also very popular with locals so that helps to keep everything affordable for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Memory a little fuzzy but my husband remembers lounge chair rentals being $9 each with a $10 refundable deposit. They take credit cards. Only remember one rental building but there could have been another. We arrived early (on excursion) and walked to the left...the earlier you arrive the better. Decent bathrooms.

We docked in St. Thomas this past Friday on the Summit, along with the smaller Viking Star so the port load was relatively low. While it wasn't jam packed, it was definitely still the most crowded beach we visited over 5 ports. The beach is not very deep so there is really only one "row" of loungers and people setting up towels and beach blankets ( there are however some picnic table scattered behind this row under shade trees.) When you enter the beach area near the taxi stand, if you head left facing the water away from the restaurant you should find it less crowded. While it is a very beautiful beach, it does lack peace and quiet by afternoon when shore excursion groups show up. For us, even with 2 ships in port it was a bit too crowded so I think next time we will try something else. We had plenty of personal space on the beach, but there were many loud party groups around us. Maybe we just had bad luck, but it was definitely busier than we anticipated with such a low port load.

As far as prices, it costs 10$ pp each way on an open air taxi bus from Crown Bay. The beach entry fee was 5$ pp. Loungers cost 7$ each, plus a $5 refundable deposit you can redeem when you return the chair ( you are free to take the chairs anywhere you like, but you must move them there and back on your own.) They also had floating mats available for $10 (plus an additional refundable deposit).

Food and beverage options are limited to a single establishment, which has a snack bar type set up plus a separate bar. Prices were average for beach food, but the selection is pretty basic ( burgers, pizza, fries, chicken tenders etc.) I think a whole pizza was around 25$, Burgers around 11$, Fries 4$. The food was not particularly great ( but is is just a snack bar not a restaurant so that was expected). The bar had a decent selection of frozen drinks, around 8-9$ each. The beers are can only and ranged from 4.50 to 5.50 for one can (no buckets).

One note- the ride to Magen's in the open air safari bus is pretty bumpy/ twisty! Fortunately, it only takes around 15-20 min without traffic. If you are prone to motion sickness take precautions, I was glad I did and I was still a little green on arrival! On the plus side, you ascend a descend a large hill to get there, so there are some really nice photo opportunities!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk