Budget Oceanfront hotel in Mia or FLL. Help?

monicajay

I know this seems like an oxymoron, oceanfront and budget in the same sentence but I know there must still be soom reasonably priced hotels on the beach.

-Post-cruise, one night, Saturday March 4th.

-2 adults and 2 young teens

-Arriving at port of Mia and leaving from Fll airport so anywhere along the coast would be fine. Car rental already arranged.

-I don't mind a 2 star hotel as long as it is clean and has oceanfront rooms.

-I would like a nice pool area as our plan is just to hang around beach and pool for the day.

-neighbourhood and restaurants not important to us

Trent S., all the hotels on your list are over $350.00 plus taxes for this date. This is too steep for me especially at the end of a cruise with kids when I know we will have spent alot.

Last year we stayed at the Dezerland, oceanfront room was fine and the price was right BUT the pool area was filthy.

This year I have a cancellable res. at the Newport Beachside. Oceanfront room for $200.00 BUT so far reviews have been bad.

I would appreciate any suggestions for oceanfront rooms in the $150.00- $200.00 range. Thanks to all

March is Spring Break and the most expensive time of year down here, ESPECIALLY for oceanfront! Normally I only recommend places that I've been inside and know. Anything oceanfront you're going to get for that price in March is going to be old, and it's going to be worn.

The only place other than the 2 you've already mentioned that comes to mind that is that cheap at that time of year is a Best Western just south of Bal Harbour - a bit north of Dezerland. It's a nice neighborhood, nice beach, but it's quite old, as are the other 2 you mentioned. I have never been INSIDE it, and don't personally know what the rooms are like, but it looks well maintainted on the outside and gets decent Trip Advisor reviews... http://www.bwoceanfront.com/index.htm

Trip Advisor reviews... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34067-d80670-Reviews-Best_Western_Oceanfront_Resort-Bal_Harbour_Florida.html

Last year at spring break time our family stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach for 2 nites pre-cruise. The first nite was a nightmare because we were put in the old motel style section with the spring breakers, we were told they could not move us until morning and we dozed off and on with the noise from the kids partying. The next morning we were moved to a room in the new (quiet) tower with a lovely view of the beach. The hotel is a good distance from the heart of SoBe but it is on the beach and boardwalk, there are restaurants near and best of all it was $150/nite and a $20. cab ride to the Miami pier. We used Tricounty Express limo from FLL for transport to the hotel ($60). Tricounty also picked us up at the pier and took us back to FLL for ($80).

The Holiday Inn South Beach is closing sometime after the first of the year though. It's not in very good shape at all, and is being torn down, to be replaced with a new W Hotel. I would definitely pass on that one if they're still open in March.

We used TriCounty from FLL to our hotel in South Beach and from the port to the FLL airport. Liked the service and definitely would use them again. I like the fact the thru their website I can set up my reservations and get a quote back on how much the service will cost.

Trent - I'm surprised they are tearing down the hotel since the new tower couldn't have been very old and was in fine shape. The old or motel portion needed to be demolished. Perhaps Westin will use the newer tower in their plans - the layout of the grounds was nice the only part we didn't like was the fact that you had to exit the side of the property to get to the boardwalk, instead of walking directly out the back toward the beach.

Archived