Newbie Gratuities Question / Cheers question

97gstchick

Hello Sorry for such a newbie question.

I pre-paid the gratuities. I also bought the cheers package. If I don’t purchase anything extra am I all set at the end of the cruise and don’t have to pay any gratuities?

I just want to be prepared for anything that might come up.

Also, with the cheers package. It says I am able to get bottles of water. Do I just walk up to a bar and ask for a bottle of water? Am I amble to grab a few at a time? Can I also bring that bottle of water off the boat with me?

Thank you 

:)

You will have taxes per drink while you are still in domestic waters on your Cheers beverages. Yes, you can get a bottle of water at a bar. One bottle every 5 minutes with the cheers package and yes you can take water off the ship

Thank you for the reply... good to know about the taxes. It's my first cruise so just trying to cover all bases.

It's my first cruise too...so this info is just what I've read.

I've heard that you can stock pile cans of beer to take off the ship to the different ports too. So if you haven't reached your 15 drink max, you can ask for a can of beer unopened to take to your room the day prior. Then you can take it in a collapsible cooler to shore with you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Heather

I have stock piled beer as well but the rules of the enhanced cheers package states all cans and bottles will be served opened. I'm still going to ask to get some unopened. You never know, you could find a cool/relaxed bar tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's my first cruise too...so this info is just what I've read.

I've heard that you can stock pile cans of beer to take off the ship to the different ports too. So if you haven't reached your 15 drink max, you can ask for a can of beer unopened to take to your room the day prior. Then you can take it in a collapsible cooler to shore with you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Heather

I did this last month. Some bar tenders were a little reluctant just ask nicely. And I always tipped an extra buck per drink and that goes a long way. I had bar tenders see me coming and were right there to take my order.

I actually came home with 20 Amstel Light's.

After you reach 15 drinks can you purchase more or are you cut off for that day

I doubt they'd ever turn down money, unless you are drunk/causing a scene/belligerent etc. But their policy says after 15 you are cut off.

Program allows for up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period (6:00am-6:00am); once the limit is reached, the guest will not be served ANY additional alcoholic drinks.

Thanks for the quick reply - it is just funny to us that if you have Cheers they cut you off, but if you don't have Cheers they wont cut you off unless you are making a scene.

We are drinkers and since we are on vacation, we like to enjoy ourselves throughout the whole day, some days we may do more than 15 some we may not. Just trying to figure out if Cheers is worth it to us?

If you do reach your 15 drinks, they WILL cut you off and not sell you any more. However, you can stop and 14, and then purchase more, and they will continue to sell you drinks (as long as you can still function). Once the 15th Cheers drinks hits the cash register, the system will not allow them to sell to you.

Perhaps on days where you don't hit your 15 drinks, get some unopened beer, and save it in your cabin for the days you are drinking more and will want over 15? Also remember, non-alcoholic drinks are NOT included in the 15 drinks per day.

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

Thanks for the quick reply - it is just funny to us that if you have Cheers they cut you off, but if you don't have Cheers they wont cut you off unless you are making a scene.

We are drinkers and since we are on vacation, we like to enjoy ourselves throughout the whole day, some days we may do more than 15 some we may not. Just trying to figure out if Cheers is worth it to us?

If you are anywhere near 15, the program is definitely worth it. I never made it to 15 but got within a few most days and we thought it was well worth it.

We regularly hit our 15 drinks on the Cheers program (when 8am is sleeping in and you wake up wanting a mimosa or bloody Mary because you're on vacation 15 drinks does not go far). My fiance makes tally marks on his hand every time he sings for a drink, I just start politely asking how many drinks I've used around dinner time. The bartenders are always happy to tell you, although the servers sometimes forget.

After drink 13 we start being very clear that we want to purchase the drink rather than use our cheers program. In 5 cruises with the program only ONE server has had an issue with this and I think it was just a language barrier and he didn't understand what we wanted to do. Which is why we start paying at 13: just in case they don't get it and put the drink on our program. At 4am when we're about ready to wind down we drink our last 2 cheers drinks and go to bed.

If you hit your 15th drink you are locked out of the system. You can't pay with your sign and sail card, you can't pay with cash, you are cut off. Your only option at that point is to hope you've made a friend who will buy you a drink. Offer to buy them a drink the next day before you're cut off (not on your cheers program, aside from being against the rules we also know you'll need all 15 of your drinks so don't try to waste one on a friend).