Logistical question getting to FLL Cruise port with 8 people

CGYCruisingFamily

We are trying to figure out the best way to get 8 people to the FtLauderdale Cruise Port from our hotel or airport.

Here's the situation... 6 adults, 2 kids, luggage, mobility scooter. We have 2 cars rented which we can return that morning if departure.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a shuttle from the car rental places at FLL to the port? If so, how much is it? How often does it run and is it mobility accessible?

We know the hotel has a shuttle to the port but it's $10/pp ($80 total). Taxis from the hotel to port would be about $25 each. We also know we could do a luggage and people drop at the port then take the rentals back and taxi it back to the port (about $20 with tip).

Ugh I'm overthinking this. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are trying to figure out the best way to get 8 people to the FtLauderdale Cruise Port from our hotel or airport.

Here's the situation... 6 adults, 2 kids, luggage, mobility scooter. We have 2 cars rented which we can return that morning if departure.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a shuttle from the car rental places at FLL to the port? If so, how much is it? How often does it run and is it mobility accessible?

We know the hotel has a shuttle to the port but it's $10/pp ($80 total). Taxis from the hotel to port would be about $25 each. We also know we could do a luggage and people drop at the port then take the rentals back and taxi it back to the port (about $20 with tip).

Ugh I'm overthinking this. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enterprise, National, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar, Avis, Alamo and Hertz all have free shuttles back to the Port Everglades from various locations around the port and FLL.

Yes, you should drop everyone, the luggage and the scooter off, return the vehicles, then ride the shuttle back. I see no reason for two cars, though, unless you have the time to explore and the members of your party want to go to different places in different directions.

Is everyone coming on the same flight? If not, doing your own shuttles from FLL to the hotel and then back to pick up the later arriving passenger would be easy. Even if you are all on the same flight some could patiently wait at the airport or take the airport shuttle to the hotel if it has one. Think outside the box.

Enterprise, National, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar, Avis, Alamo and Hertz all have free shuttles back to the Port Everglades from various locations around the port and FLL.

Yes, you should drop everyone, the luggage and the scooter off, return the vehicles, then ride the shuttle back. I see no reason for two cars, though, unless you have the time to explore and the members of your party want to go to different places in different directions.

Is everyone coming on the same flight? If not, doing your own shuttles from FLL to the hotel and then back to pick up the later arriving passenger would be easy. Even if you are all on the same flight some could patiently wait at the airport or take the airport shuttle to the hotel if it has one. Think outside the box.

We are in FLL for a couple of days prior to the cruise, thus the 2 cars. It's the morning we get on the ship that's the logistical nightmare of getting everyone to the port.

Are the shuttles free? Is it a bus? Do they service only the individual companies, or is it shared? My dad rented through Budget and me through Alamo... and where do we catch the shuttle?

We are in FLL for a couple of days prior to the cruise, thus the 2 cars. It's the morning we get on the ship that's the logistical nightmare of getting everyone to the port.

Are the shuttles free? Is it a bus? Do they service only the individual companies, or is it shared? My dad rented through Budget and me through Alamo... and where do we catch the shuttle?

I think Alamo has a shuttle to Port Everglades from their FLL office. Budget has a shuttle from their 17th Street location, NOT the airport location, so that's where your dad will need to return the car to (he should be able to change his reservation to this drop-off point at the same price). This info of course should be confirmed with the respective rental car offices. The shuttles are free.

What I would do: drive to the port and drop off everyone but the drivers at the ship, along with all your luggage. Then have the drivers return the cars to the car rental offices (this would of course be simpler if you were renting from the same company, but I'm sure you have a good reason for not doing that :)). Then the drivers return to the terminal via the shuttles.

The only Alamo location in Ft Lauderdale is at FLL. Their shuttle is shared with Enterprise and National since Enterprise owns all three companies.

Budget you should return to the 17th Street Causeway location back behind the Renaissance Hotel. They have a free shuttle from there.

You can't drive to the airport and pick up your dad when their flight arrives?

The only Alamo location in Ft Lauderdale is at FLL. Their shuttle is shared with Enterprise and National since Enterprise owns all three companies.

Budget you should return to the 17th Street Causeway location back behind the Renaissance Hotel. They have a free shuttle from there.

You can't drive to the airport and pick up your dad when their flight arrives?

No, there are 8 of us sharing 2 cars... We booked different rental agencies because Budget went through the roof for cost between when my dad booked and when I booked. We are renting the cars from the airport... maybe we will see if we can get my dad on the Alamo shuttle with us.

Thanks for your reply.

We had a similar situation last year when we cruised with 12 people. We stayed at a hotel near the FLL airport (Embassy Suites 17th St). The drivers dropped both vehicles back to the airport the night before our cruise and took a cab back to the hotel. We used a private shuttle for the transportation to the Port of Everglades, providing all the details about luggage, size of group, etc. It was $5 per person, but it was worth it to be hassle free on the morning of the cruise and we didn't have to deal with the line-ups for the hotel shuttle. We booked through JR Shuttles - they were excellent! The savings on the 2 rental cars from dropping the night before off-set the other costs of taxi and shuttle - although to me it was worth the fees.

Edited by NSPenny

Thanks for the great info. We are cruising in Jan 2017 from Pt. Everglades, and the info for embarking/renting is very helpful. At the end of cruise, we intend on renting a car from the airport location (Thrifty most likely). Is there a return free shuttle from the port to the Thrifty airport location? We will be arriving in port on a Friday, which is not a typical port day. Would this affect the shuttle availability?