Onboard Photographs

cavkc

Does anyone else agree that in this day and age, the cruise ships should have a better way of producing photographs for purchase. The amount of wasted paper alone is certainly not very eco-friendly, as out of the hundreds of photographs printed each cruise, how many are actually purchased?

Could some system not be devised, whereby you give your cabin number when a picture is being taken and then view the photograph on your cabin tv. They could also then offer better packages to people, such as buying all your photos on a CD. If people wanted an actual hard copy, they would obviously have to put a cut off date on ordering, i.e 36 hours before the cruise ends.

It would also release all the space taken up in the photo gallery for some other use, that I am sure Celebrity would benefit from.

It’s just a thought & it would save searching through hundreds of pictures only to find that DH had his eyes shut !!

We usually have fun in the photo gallery looking at all the people. The boarding photos are always pretty funny.

I do agree, it would save a lot of photo paper and probably be more eco-friendly. I guess they could come up with a system where you give them your room card every time your pic is done. Do you think that would slow up the formal photo line even more?

While I'd love to have a CD of all the pics they take, we really don't stop to have it done much, as we only purchase one formal photo for the week.

As I recall on my last cruise in January, Celebrity was planning a change-over to all digital. When that is completed (if not already), they'll be putting kiosks in various locations and you'll be able to purchase photos from there. It's important to remember that photography is not done as a courtesy, but as a money-making venture. The purchasing of photographs, especially containing your image, involves emotional and psychological issues. The immediate gratification of having hard-copy "in your hand" can be a significant positive influence on your decision "to buy or not". Also the fact that your "image" will be just thrown away is also a "push" towards buying. I'm sure considerable marketing studies have been undertaken in this area. As a professional photographer, I understand the concept "of striking when the iron is hot". Sales decline exponentially as time passes.

This would put a stop to one of my favourite pastimes: looking for the really bad photos - and there's always a few. Sometimes it's the photographer's error, sometimes you have to wonder why the person chose that outfit/pose for a photo, and sometimes it's a combination of both. Once or twice I've nearly been tempted to buy a photo of some stranger because it's just so outstandingly awful.

Don't spoil my fun!

jeez, that's pretty cruel. another good reason why we just say NO THANKS when the photographer appears, from the gangway to formal night and beyond. none of us is particularly photogenic anyway, except for our charming 9-y-o, and we can take pictures of him ourselves ... TR

Not cruel at all, in my opinion. Don't tell me you've never seen a bad photo of an otherwise good-looking person. It's the photo that makes me laugh, not the person him/herself. It could just as easily be (and occasionally is) my own photo I'm gazing at in appalled wonder.

The prices they charge for the photographs on board is OUTRAGEOUS. Not just a little steep, but outright lunacy.

We agree, it's also a major waste. We don't understand why they print up all the photos and charge $20/pop only to see most of them tossed. My wife usually buys one or two per cruise (over my objections). However, she bought none on our last cruise.

She would have bought them ALL at $5 each.

Note: The photographers are courteous and they do take good pictures.

They sell the 8x10's for twenty dollars or so...costs them about 60 cents to produce..the hard copy that is already in front of you sells much better than a digital image that you have to have printed...believe me, they know the stats and have figured out the cost/benefit of doing it both ways. Saves paper, yes, but at a cost to them!!

Besides, like the other poster said you couldn't see all the bad photos....and my pre-matrimonial favorite past-time -- finding the photo of the most gorgeous girl on the ship - buying the 8 x 10 and show everyone at home who I spent every moment with on vacation !!!

It would be great if they could institute a system like Walt Disney World has. You can buy your photo there if you would like, but you can also look at them online for 30 days after your trip and order them. I bought more pictures from Disney online after our trip because I had to wait for my next paycheck to buy them. There were other things I wanted to buy with my money while I was there. :D

This would put a stop to one of my favourite pastimes: looking for the really bad photos - and there's always a few. Sometimes it's the photographer's error, sometimes you have to wonder why the person chose that outfit/pose for a photo, and sometimes it's a combination of both. Once or twice I've nearly been tempted to buy a photo of some stranger because it's just so outstandingly awful.

Don't spoil my fun!

I'm sure most of us feel that way, if we dare to admit it! My husband and I were discussing this very thing last year on the Horizon, it seemed there was an INCREDIBLE amount of paper/photos being wasted/tossed. We wondered at the time why they did not go digital.

Gosh, that sounded tacky! I just want to add, that I too, have been the victim of a fright-night type photo that was there for all to view. Gotta learn to laugh at yourself though, right?

Kidding aside, digital photos make MUCH more sense and would save money, paper, processing, the environment.....AND embarrassment to those of us who just don't always photograph well!

Karen

Archived