luggage tag question

Allis154

I have what should be a quick question.

The last time I was on the QE2, we stayed a number of days before hand in London. This ment that the airport tags went on at the airport and the ship tags were put on in the London hotel room.

This trip, we are going from our house to the ship, via three airports and a bus. I will not see my luggage from the time I turn it in at the local airport until I get to my cabin. Should I put the tags on before I leave home? Will this cause a problem at the airports?

The easy answer would be to fly in the night before, but it is just possible to do it this time.

Allis154

Allis,

Surely you will have to collect your luggage at Heathrow/Gatwick before clearing customs, then hand your luggage over to the coach? That might be a good time to put on the tags. From your countdown clock should I infer that you are on the QE2's last Trans Atlantic to Manhattan? If so, see you onboard!

Peter

you, see..it was an easy question! I never thougth about customs. makes sense that we will tag the luggage then!

Yes, we are the Jan 3, 2006 crossing to Manhattan. Don't know if we will make to first get together, but we will make the second for sure!

Put your luggage tags on before you go to the airport! If your luggage does not make the trip with you, the airline and Cunard will use the info on the luggage tags to try to catch the luggage up to the ship. Without the Cunard tags, they can't try to retrieve the luggage for you. If your luggage makes the trip all right, you will need to collect it for customs and the tags will be a conversation spark for your fellow travellers.

Julia

I would suggest putting them on ASAP. We made the mistake of planning to wait until after customs at the airport, and promptly forgot to put them on before we handed them over to the coach bus attendant at which point you generally do not have an opportunity to see them again until your cabin. The Cunard dock people, when we got off the coach, told us that we might be able to catch them somewhere, but when we asked again where, they said we had lost out and the bags had gone off to a secure location to be loaded onto the ship.

They did say if they cannot place bags accurately they will be at the Purser's office for collection—this was only after we asked. There was no announcement that we should be sure to have tags on our bags before putting them in the undercarriage. And it seems no one was checking bags without tags to catch them and ask whose they were to properly label them.

Also we were sent the wrong tags (due to an upgrade after tag printing) and we decided not to put those on, but were told it would have been best to do so since the computer scanner would have recognized our new cabin numbers regardless of the printed tag.

I hope this helps.

Allis,

Let us know how you get on - some Airlines remove all alternative tags to avoid confusing the scanning system - Cunard usually send plenty, so if you do affix before flight check in, might be worth keeping a spare set incase they've gone by the time you get to the UK.

Peter

Allis,

might be worth keeping a spare set incase they've gone by the time you get to the UK.

Peter

That is what I thought I would do. We are planning on checking only one bag (hopefully!), so should have plenty of tags if they get removed.

Allis154

Archived