Help picking first time Alaska cruise

Nicki828

We are looking to book a cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We need to take the trip sometime between July 3rd and July 22nd. We have cruised many times, but all to the Caribbean and once in Europe. We have cruised with the following cruise lines: Celebrity, Royal, Carnival, Disney, and Norwegian.

Musts for this cruise is a balcony. Should we be looking for a specific area of the boat when choosing our cabin?

Our top picks are as follows:

Princess - Island Princess - Voyage of the glaciers northbound

Balcony or mini suite fit in our budget

Itinerary:

Vancouver

At sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic cruising)

College Fjord (Scenic cruising)

Seward

Celebrity - Millenium - Alaska Northern Glacier cruise

Concierage class stateroom

Itinerary:

Vancouver

At sea

Icy Straight Point

Juneau

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Seward

Norwegian - Sun - 7 day glacier bay

Balcony

Itinerary:

Vancouver

At sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Cruise Glacier Bay

Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Seward

Norwegian is the least expensive option, and Princess the most expensive, but all fall within our budget. Would really love to hear pros and cons from anyone who has sailed on any of these ships. We are most experienced with NCL as we sailed with them in 2015. Last time we sailed with Celebrity was on our honeymoon. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Others will have better advice but I will repeat some of the advice I was given when I was looking.

Most would say include Glacier Bay which would eliminate Celebrity.

NCL has Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier which I believe alot of people really like. Plus you know you like NCL and it's the best price.

You should also look at what excursions you want to do in each port and then make sure the dates and times match up with what you want to do. For instance, I really wanted to do the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion in Juneau but we don't get into Juneau in time to make the schedule.

We are essentially doing your first itinerary on Coral Princess although we end in Whittier instead of Seward. This cruise coincided with the exact dates we wanted so along with the itinerary, that made our decision. Good luck, others will have better advice.

DH and I are doing an Alaska cruise next year so I've been devouring threads on here for months. ;) Distilled recommendations:

- Glacier Bay is a must-see, if you can get 2 glaciers in one trip that's a big plus

- A balcony isn't essential because there are so many viewing locations around the ships, but if you do get one where doesn't matter because you will see awesome scenery in all directions. (I will add that if either of you have mobility issues, a private balcony can make it a lot easier. Both SIL and I use wheelchairs so I did book an aft balcony mini-suite on Norwegial Pearl. The more mobile members of our group can travel around the ship as they choose.)

- NCL has a new rule that you cannot bring your own beverages onboard, other than bottles of wine for which you will be charged "corkage fee" per bottle. (Can't find where I wrote down how much the fee was but I believe it was either $15 or $25 per bottle.) Also they only serve Pepsi products so if you are a Diet Coke addict you are out of luck.

"If" you decide to go with Princess, you might want to look at the Coral rather than the Island. Both do the same itinerary, but the Coral has the aft viewing decks that were removed on the Island. The areas are covered and also protected from the wind.

Another plus for the Coral is that it has the International Cafe that the Island does not.

A balcony on the port side of the Coral makes for great viewing at Glacier Bay. Eventually the ship will rotate, but the naturalist narration will match what you are seeing from the port side as you sail into the bay.

Just my 2 cents...

We are looking to book a cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We need to take the trip sometime between July 3rd and July 22nd.
Do you plan to be in Vancouver Saturday, July 1st pre-cruise? If so, there is a cruise terminal fireworks show to start your anniversary.

Others will have better advice but I will repeat some of the advice I was given when I was looking.

Most would say include Glacier Bay which would eliminate Celebrity.

NCL has Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier which I believe alot of people really like. Plus you know you like NCL and it's the best price.

You should also look at what excursions you want to do in each port and then make sure the dates and times match up with what you want to do. For instance, I really wanted to do the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion in Juneau but we don't get into Juneau in time to make the schedule.

We are essentially doing your first itinerary on Coral Princess although we end in Whittier instead of Seward. This cruise coincided with the exact dates we wanted so along with the itinerary, that made our decision. Good luck, others will have better advice.

Great points about not missing out on Glacier Bay. That brings my choice down to 2. I've heard really good things about the newer Princess ships, but not much about the older ones.

"If" you decide to go with Princess, you might want to look at the Coral rather than the Island. Both do the same itinerary, but the Coral has the aft viewing decks that were removed on the Island. The areas are covered and also protected from the wind.

Another plus for the Coral is that it has the International Cafe that the Island does not.

A balcony on the port side of the Coral makes for great viewing at Glacier Bay. Eventually the ship will rotate, but the naturalist narration will match what you are seeing from the port side as you sail into the bay.

Just my 2 cents...

I totally agree with the points discussed. We enjoyed the Glacier Bay with Princess. We were just on the interior but enjoyed the view from the upper deck.

There is however a speculation that Princess' Glacier Bay itinerary may be affected by its recent environmental fines. I do hope that it stays as mere speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I are doing an Alaska cruise next year so I've been devouring threads on here for months. ;) Distilled recommendations:

- Glacier Bay is a must-see, if you can get 2 glaciers in one trip that's a big plus

- A balcony isn't essential because there are so many viewing locations around the ships, but if you do get one where doesn't matter because you will see awesome scenery in all directions. (I will add that if either of you have mobility issues, a private balcony can make it a lot easier. Both SIL and I use wheelchairs so I did book an aft balcony mini-suite on Norwegial Pearl. The more mobile members of our group can travel around the ship as they choose.)

- NCL has a new rule that you cannot bring your own beverages onboard, other than bottles of wine for which you will be charged "corkage fee" per bottle. (Can't find where I wrote down how much the fee was but I believe it was either $15 or $25 per bottle.) Also they only serve Pepsi products so if you are a Diet Coke addict you are out of luck.

Because this is a special trip, we are fine with the extra expense of the balcony. We will definitely go to other viewing locations on the ship too.

I was trying to figure out where the best place to be on the ship is. I was thinking aft for views, but then I'm wondering motion-wise if it will be a little rougher. The only time I've experienced motion sickness on a cruise was a few years back when we were trying to beat out hurricane Sandy. The 25 foot swells didn't agree with me 😀

Just my 2 cents...

Thank you! Excellent suggestions. I will check the sailing dates and prices for th Coral. And thanks for the tip about the port side. I will d finitely make sure to book that.

I know people say you don't need a balcony but I am so excited we will have one. I forget which side we are on but our in-laws are across the hall on the other side so we'll have great views no matter what!

I believe that the Coral is one ship that does not have true aft cabins. But I would think that having those covered decks that the PP talked about would be a big plus for the Coral over the Island.

Edited by Beachiekeen

If you can wait until next May, I'll be glad to comment on motion on our aft balcony. lol

Sent from my SM-G386T using Forums mobile app

LOL - we just made our decision. We are booked on the Island Princess as we really liked the itinerary, and the timing worked out really well with the dates available for us. We are booked on a balcony on the Aloha deck.