Help - Galaxy Mistake???

landraceem

:confused: Please help me with something. I am booked on my honeymoon cruise on the Galaxy in June 2006. My future husband and I did a cruise on the Carnival Glory when it was about 2 months old and were really disappointed in the food, coffee, service, etc.

He's agreed to another cruise and I booked the Galaxy. I have become worried after reading these Boards that I should have booked a millenium class ship instead.

I want this to be a really great cruise and my future husband will notice the little details that others have brought up.

Is the Galaxy bad enough that I should cancel???

Should I try to get on a different class of Celebrity ship?

How does Celebrity compare to Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Windstar and Silversea?

They all have western/eastern Med cruises for the same timeframe and I will happily rebook if I can go the extra mile and make sure the creature comforts are taken care of. I don't want a leaky toilet, ripped carpet and poor service as some have alluded occurs on the Galaxy.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rest assured that you will have a great experience on ANY Celebrity ship. If you focus on the chat boards long enough, you realize that there are a lot of negative reviews posted vs positive.

We have sailed Galaxy once and Century twice and had a great time on all 3.

:confused: Please help me with something. I am booked on my honeymoon cruise on the Galaxy in June 2006. My future husband and I did a cruise on the Carnival Glory when it was about 2 months old and were really disappointed in the food, coffee, service, etc.

He's agreed to another cruise and I booked the Galaxy. I have become worried after reading these Boards that I should have booked a millenium class ship instead.

I want this to be a really great cruise and my future husband will notice the little details that others have brought up.

Is the Galaxy bad enough that I should cancel???

Should I try to get on a different class of Celebrity ship?

How does Celebrity compare to Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Windstar and Silversea?

They all have western/eastern Med cruises for the same timeframe and I will happily rebook if I can go the extra mile and make sure the creature comforts are taken care of. I don't want a leaky toilet, ripped carpet and poor service as some have alluded occurs on the Galaxy.

Thanks for any feedback.

We returned Monday on the transatlantic crossing and can honestly say, don't believe everything you read! If your future husband recognizes excellent food and service as well as the occasional carpet stain then you will have a wonderful time. This is a gracious lady with a few signs of wear which all of the smaller (older) ships will have. The smaller ships also have the advantage of being much more passenger friendly and personal which you will not find on the larger and new ships. The crew was nothing short of spectacular and the food was excellent. Yes, there are items on the menu that are not excellent but the waiter can and will guide you to the best if you ask. My review has been submitted but will take a while to be posted so it you want it email me at donnaw7471 at yahoo.com.

Don't go. The Galaxy will not fulfill your needs.

That great food and service that everyone raves about on the Celebrity ships is overblown.

Those little extras like the cold towels at the pier and the pool.

The sorbet around the pool in the afternoon.

The singer from 6 to 10pm each night.

The sushi bar from 6 to 10pm each night.

The friendly service.

The great shows.

All an illusion. ;)

Thank you to the last post for helping me to see the humor. However, when spending thousands on a honeymoon, I just want to make sure that Galaxy lives up to the reputation of the fleet, despite her age.

There have been numerous posts about how disappointing she has become and desperate for a facelift...I do not want to sail her immediately preceding her dry-dock (facelift) when I could have switched to a different Celebrity ship and found the Celebrity I expected.

I am wondering how much of the Galaxy complaining is huff and puff and what is legitimate...there is a millenium cruise during the same time with very similar ports.

Question is should i switch?

Thank you to the last post for helping me to see the humor. However, when spending thousands on a honeymoon, I just want to make sure that Galaxy lives up to the reputation of the fleet, despite her age.

There have been numerous posts about how disappointing she has become and desperate for a facelift...I do not want to sail her immediately preceding her dry-dock (facelift) when I could have switched to a different Celebrity ship and found the Celebrity I expected.

I am wondering how much of the Galaxy complaining is huff and puff and what is legitimate...there is a millenium cruise during the same time with very similar ports.

Question is should i switch?

Huff and puff..

A lot of people are just negative in all things they do.

They just expect the best and when not getting their assas kissed - complain about any small thing.

There were not enough fluffy hand towels in the starboard forward ladies restroom just before the show went on. I had to use a paper towel. And they call themselves a premium line.

The roses in the water looked a little wilted and they did not make the whole room smell of rose petals.

Some prople need to get a grip on reality. Overlook the small things

We sailed Century in Mercury (Galaxy's sister ships) and found food better than RCCL and service more professional than on RCCL and HAL. :)

You can't really compare Celebrity to Seabourn... (ultra luxury cruise line)

We sailed Century in Mercury (Galaxy's sister ships) and found food better than RCCL and service more professional than on RCCL and HAL. :)

You can't really compare Celebrity to Seabourn... (ultra luxury cruise line)

We want an indepth review in December from you. ;)

We want an indepth review in December from you. ;)

Well.. with my English deficiency, I am trying to avoid writing long reviews. ;) (hate to sound like 6 grader)

That's said I promise to post major differences and our likes and dislikes. :D

You are going to get dozens of different opinions here. Without being able to see completely into your fiance's mind, it's impossible to say whether he will love or hate Galaxy, or any other ship, for that matter.

I can say that, for example, I sailed Mercury (one of Galaxy's sisters) last August and found her in excellent shape, with just a few flaws I mentioned in my long & rambling review. However, some other reviewers who sailed Mercury in the same time frame posted here that she was a virtual rustbucket awash in neglect. Go figure.

The Millennium vs. Galaxy question is more a matter of size than age/upkeep -- Galaxy is only a few years older. We have sailed Millennium & Infinity as well as Mercury & Century, and I enjoy the C-class more than the M-class -- the extra space on the M-class doesn't seem to buy you much more, and some of the classier touches are lost (such as, M-class ships have less open deck space in teak, more in that all-purpose vinyl-ish stuff). And the free Thalassotherapy pools on the M-class ships are no comparison to the incredible extra-charge ones on C-class ... best.hot.tub.EVER!!!!

Have you looked at lots of online pictures to see how the decors resonate, if your husband-to-be is that detail-oriented? Just a thought - TR

all i can say is GO! we did the galaxy in april and had such a grand time we are booked for the december 29th sailing, you'll have a very memorable honeymoon to reflect back upon. just gonna be a bit negative here for a sec, sailed carnival once, told my dw that even if we won a cruise on carnival i wouldn't go.

celebrity is a fantastic cruise line, you'll have a blast!!!

We've been on 2 cruises on Galaxy and have booked our 3rd on her for Christmas. I've cruised on several other lines but always prefer a Celebrity cruise.

The thalasotherapy pools on this class of ship are very nice, be sure to treat yourself. Food, service and a more refined environment are what bring us back time and again. Enjoy the Galaxy, I feel its the perfect size of ship and alas a shame they are becoming so large. Mind you, we did love the Infinity and in many ways reminded me of the Galaxy especially the white marble in the lobby area.

The teak promenade decks, wonderful forward-facing observation lounge/ disco and the Cova Cafe are also some of my favourite features.

Can't wait to get back on for Christmas

Tina

Be sure to read donnaw's review. She will give you straight poop.

I was on the same cruise as she, just got back last week, and believe me, it was terrific.

I think I found a stain on a carpet where someone had spilled something. There ws too much food on my plate and I gained weight. (Whose fault was that?)

The trivia games got a little noisy in their enthusiasm.

I didn't care for the band that played round the pool, but loved an a cappella quartet that performed before dinner.

Shall I go on? Everyone can find something to gripe about, and something to love. Overall, the experience was tops-- and I have sailed many times on severall different ships,different lines.

Still the best vacation for the money you can buy -- and Celebraity is a good line.

Go for it.

love

joan

landaceem...

We've done Galaxy and thoroghly enjoyed it. Had a CC cabin with a veranda. Complete details here: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/westerncaribbean.html

That said, I think the only cruise line in your list which might provide a better experience might be Silversea. Don't even bother with the others as they are not in the same class as Celebrity. (Let the flames begin...)

I have found after a ton of cruise vacations that you get out of it what you put into it. If things are not up to your liking and the staff can do something to correct it they will. We do not live in a perfect world but X staff will do their best to make it that way, When you need a correction be sure to approch the staff member with a smile and a positive voice. Ask them when the correction will be made and get the name of their supervisior, Thank them for their time and express your confidence in thier abilities. More flies with honey.

garardo

I leave in 2-1/2 weeks for my 2nd Galaxy cruise - my 6th Celebrity. (I have also done 1 Princess, 1 RCL & 2 Carnivals.) Celebrity is my favorite cruise line and my previous trip on the Galaxy was one of the very best times I had. Go, enjoy, and don't let these posts make you crazy second guessing yourself!! Just plan to have a great trip - and you will!

One of the best cruises I ever did was on a ship which was 29 years old.

And I returned from the Zenith on OCt 22....had the best wait-team I've ever had in 165 cruises.

Not every cruise is a perfect 10, not every vacation is a perfect 10.. heck life isn't a perfect 10.

Hi: Just our personal opinion; however, if we were going on a honeymoon, we would choose a Celebrity M class ship. We have done the Galaxy and Zenith. The flow of these two smaller ships isn't as well designed as M class.

We found the food and service to be excellent on all three X ships. There is also the concierge class where you will have extra choices and service for an additional charge, though we have not done this ourselves. You might want to check their web site regarding concierge class details vs cost. I'm sure others might be able to help you out here as well. Hubby enjoys a balcony accommodation, again a personal choice. You will still have a great time even if you didn't have a balcony. If you have any other questions, ask away!

Hi. We just got back from the same cruise as Donna W., Joan, and about 130+ other cruise critic members.

Galaxy is in great shape. As everyone has mentioned before, SOMEONE will always find something negative about anything. We all know these types of people. The only thing my husband noticed was the wear around the pool. There are some "holes" in the slip proof stuff around the pool, but if this makes you have a bad cruise, then by all means, choose another ship!:D

The food was Xcellent, service Xcellent, entertainment Xcellent, etc.

Our children also had an Xcellent time (they are 10 & 9). We have sailed Galaxy twice in the last year and they are ready to go back. We also took our 18 year old niece with us on this last cruise and she also had a blast. This was her first cruise and she is now addicted.

So, as you can tell, we are all in favor of Galaxy.

Give her a shot!

Donna

Well.. with my English deficiency, I am trying to avoid writing long reviews. ;) (hate to sound like 6 grader)

That's said I promise to post major differences and our likes and dislikes. :D

Why when most of us post on a 4th grade level here.

Go for it. You have a perspective no one else does.

YOURS

I'm always interested in what you - among others - have to say about things you see.

We were on the Galaxy for 14 nights last year, and it was magnificent.

We have been on 7 Celebrity cruises, and on all classes. I prefer the Zenith class, wife prefers the C class (like the Galaxy), but we both like them all.

Don't know how it got started, but it seems that some folks feel compelled to inspect the ships. I have never even looked at the carpet on any ship, have no idea what color our rooms were, pay no attention to the art, and don't sweat the small stuff. Cruising is all about enjoying new places, people, cultures, food, music, and experiences.

The Galaxy is a great ship-have fun.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

We have a concierge class cabin booked and it looks like I have received a resounding thumbs up on the Galaxy. She seems to be the only Celebrity ship that consistently gets bashed on this board, so I have been nervous about the choice.

Thanks for all the help and reassurance!

Can't wait to try the new Xpedition ship to the Galapagos next!

We have a concierge class cabin booked and it looks like I have received a resounding thumbs up on the Galaxy. She seems to be the only Celebrity ship that consistently gets bashed on this board, so I have been nervous about the choice.

Thanks for all the help and reassurance!

Can't wait to try the new Xpedition ship to the Galapagos next!

The one that used to take the brunt of the bashing was Horizon but she is now gone so a new target has been picked, at least for this month. It will go in phases and next month, one of the others will be the target. You will have a great time in CC so relax and enjoy the planning and anticipation! If the only cruise you have been on to date is the Carnival Glory then you will have some big and very pleasant surprises coming when you board Galaxy.

Archived