Regretting my Choice

scarlet-amelia

Thanks for all the information. Many of you have put my mind at ease...

Regarding the "you booked in september on impulse, but didn't research it until now" questions, I wanted to say a few things.

Thanks to your husband (and you) for your service.

It's silly that you've even had to explain yourself, you've not been rude or snarky in any of your posts asking about the ship... the same cannot be said for some of the other replies on here.

Edited by Mrsinsyder

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

I'm just sick about this.

Can someone either reassure me that it won't be so bad, or

offer a suggestion to get out of it?

So much of this info is simply incorrect. You will LOVE this cruise ship.

Just wanted to say thanks to your husband for his service, and happy birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful - new and improved version - cruise. We are booked on NCL for the first time in August to the Norwegian fjords, and even thought I did a TON of research before booking, I still wonder how it will compare to other cruises we have enjoyed on Celebrity and Oceania. But we are happy people and always have a good time despite finding that here are always things that go awry on vacations. Well, actually the only thing we did NOT enjoy was driving in Italy (which some people have told me they loved), which we found infinitely more stressful than Ireland and Scotland even though we were on the same side of the road as home when in Italy. But everything else, even though I plan like crazy, we roll with the punches and enjoy ourselves. On our Oceania cruise, after months of research and booking a private guide for 4 days in Istanbul where our cruise was to end, they cancelled Istanbul and substituted Athens. I felt terrible for the guide to lose 4 days of pay, and still feel bad that we did not get to see Istanbul, and even worse that the airline change cost me $3000, but we till had an awesome trip, and you will too!!