Christmas Cruise to Hawaii,what to wear?

coleridge

:confused:

Hi Folks,

We will be on the 15 day cruise fromLA to Hawaii over the holidays and I cannot figure what to wear . Should it be winter clothes since it will be winter or tropical summer clothes since it is from Ca to Hawaii? Any help from someone who has done it? I think the weather is nice in Hawaii,from high 70's to low 80's but I am not sure about the weather on the ship over.

thanks for any help,Coleridge

The sea air over the Pacific can be quite cool. You definately would want to have layers on particularly on deck. While the sun is out you would be quite comfortable since it is quite intense.

The weather in HI is a mixed bag. The temperature does not change drastically year round. Since you are from california you probably won't doesn't a great deal differance in the temperature. The locals probably notice the cool fronts (going from the 70s into the high 60's) much more than the tourist. I can remember while living there it got the temperatures fell into the mid 50s and we were all looking for winter coats.

Since people in the islands are much more laid back in dress. Hawaiian shirts are the norm for men (not the kind found in Hilo Hatties) but those found in the good department stores. SUndresses, capris etc are always appropriate for the women. Sandals are the norm whether dressing up or down.

Enjoy yourself. Remember layers. They always work in the hotels since they keep them freezing.

Aloha

Hi -

We did the cruise to Hawaii over Thanksgiving last year. It was cool for the first 3 days (as Happy KS said) - and then you cross over into the tropical zone. You can actually feel the weather get warmer. Shorts or Capri's and T-shirts/Hawaiian shirts did well for us for shore excursions - we took light jackets (mostly for rain coverage), but an umbrella is better - it's too warm for a jacket. Rain comes up often, so be prepared. Hawaii is very casual and the people are great!

It was a fabulous trip - you're going to love it!

Archived