Kids passport book or passport card

canastasi

We get our kids passport books. I am assuming both books and cards are only valid for 5 years for kids. We get the book so if and when we decide to travel it's readily available as well as cruising purposes. It is expensive, but I like the comfort of knowing if something goes wrong at a port we can fly home without hassle.

I keep my passport valid every 10 years too. When all 4 of us what to renew it's a big expense, but we also like international travel which requires it.

I had to comment to this because there are valid reasons for getting the passport card.

We do not have passports, and for 4 of us to get them would be $510 versus $180 for the card or $155 for the EDL(enhanced driver's license), assuming we don't need them expedited. That is a big difference.

We had to schedule our cruise for 1.5 years away to be able to pay for it over time. It would be a challenge to add $510 to our bill.

We will not be doing any international air travel, and in the terrible event we were stranded on an island, we will still get back into the US eventually. It is a risk we are willing to take.

The main reason we would go with a passport card or an enhanced driver's license (enhanced identity card for those that don't drive) over a DL and BC (as we've done previously,) is that by the time we sail, one of those will be required, at the least, for us.

Due to the Real ID Act, starting January 22, 2018, states that do not have a Real ID, nor a federal extension,( of which Minnesota is one,) need at least a passport card or EDL/EIC to fly domestically, cross the borders, and enter federal buildings. I believe there may be other situations they may be required for, as well. As of October 1, 2020, all states will need to use them (or a passport book,) including states that now have federal extentions.

Source:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

So, I just wanted to add another viewpoint on why someone might go with a passport card over a book.

I had to comment to this because there are valid reasons for getting the passport card.

So, I just wanted to add another viewpoint on why someone might go with a passport card over a book.

What is important is you believe it will serve your travel needs.

You're making an often erroneous assumption that only "monied" folks travel on premium or luxury lines. While, in most cases, luxury lines might be considered "expensive," many savvy middle class travelers have done the math and figured out that "premium" lines (e.g., Azamara, Oceania) provide real value when measured by "net daily rate" for the entire cruise vacation. And, for many of those folks, each expense is a consideration in the overall picture.

Perhaps, more importantly, many of the first time cruisers, who look to CC for advice are not hurting for cash and become ill-informed when posters make erroneous generalizations.

Let's just give accurate answers.

OP ticker indicates two upcoming cruises are on Carnival. Your comments aren't applicable to the OP. Some cruise lines have tighter passport rules then required. You have a point, in general, but not applicable in this specific case.

I see the OP is from Michigan. If a child is under 16 a birth certificate can be used for land entry into Canada. Older then 16 a passport card would work. Other then a drive to Canada a passport card offers no real advantage over a birth certificate.

Real ID extensions have been granted several times. Eventually states and federal government will work it out.

• 2 weeks later...
, but I like the comfort of knowing if something goes wrong at a port we can fly home without hassle.

Well, in all honesty, you're not going to be able to fly home without hassle regardless of the ID you possess. If you decide to fly home mid-cruise, you'll have to wait 'til you reach an island, which could be a day or two ... then buy a premium-priced last-minute plane ticket ... assuming such a flight is available at all ... and pay a fee for leaving the cruise early.

Well, in all honesty, you're not going to be able to fly home without hassle regardless of the ID you possess. If you decide to fly home mid-cruise, you'll have to wait 'til you reach an island, which could be a day or two ... then buy a premium-priced last-minute plane ticket ... assuming such a flight is available at all ... and pay a fee for leaving the cruise early.

Sure, but I won't have to go through the consulate or embassy. It is my preference and my comfort level.

You can have a different tolerance for these inconveniences than I do.

I was merely sharing what I do and why it's important to me to have my passport book.

Hoping my family or I never have the hassle of having to leave a cruise early, but if we do, I'm comfortable with my choices in documentation

We share information, it's up to each individual what they do [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but I won't have to go through the consulate or embassy. It is my preference and my comfort level.

You can have a different tolerance for these inconveniences than I do.

I was merely sharing what I do and why it's important to me to have my passport book.

Hoping my family or I never have the hassle of having to leave a cruise early, but if we do, I'm comfortable with my choices in documentation

We share information, it's up to each individual what they do [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understood -- but you understand the point, right? No matter what documentation you have, flying home mid-cruise would still be a major hassle, would almost certainly require more than a day's time, and in the long run would cost more than the cruise itself. Having a passport will not make flying home anywhere near hassle-free.

If you're concerned about being left behind on an island, the best choice is to avoid being in that situation (which is very easy).

If you're concerned about an emergency at home, your best choice would probably be simply to finish the cruise.