Holiday activities on board- Xmas and New Years Eve?

aloveforwander

Can anyone please share what should we expect- if anything different- over the holidays?

We are sailing on 12/25/2005-1/1/2006 and this is our first time on this particular week. Our questions as follows- (if you could answer one or all- please feel free to help ;) ):

1. Will there be a speacial Xmas dinner?

2. Any freebies on board in holiday spirit?

3. Will formal nights be re-aranged to fall on Xmas day and New Year's eve?

4. Is formal wear more "decadent" this time of year? (ie. tuxes ilo suits, floorlenght ilo cocktail dresses)

5. Will Carnival provide New Year's eve party gear? ie. Hats, noisemakers, etc.?

6. Any fireworks in sight? (Our New Year's Eve will be an "at sea" day)

7. Special drink prices, special SPA prices??

Thank you? We are soooo anxious!

I'm so glad you asked those questions! We, too, are sailing on those dates. We're sailing out of San Juan, so we've also got questions about what restaurants, shops, and sightseeing adventures will be available to us before and after the cruise. We're flying in on 12/24 and flying home on 1/3, and we've already discovered that Ajili Mojili, a restaurant we'd hoped to dine at, will not be open for dinner on 12/24. If anyone can answer the OP's questions and give us a clue about what we can expect in San Juan, we'd really appreciate it!

Thankfully, we board on Xmas day and New Year's eve for us is on last sea day. Not too concerned on closings, however, I have heard there are typical closings on these holidays out there.

AHHHHHHH. Can't believe you know of Ajili Mojili- what a great place!! I am originally from Puerto Rico and will gladly recommend replacements. Interested? If so, I will gladly find out for you if my suggestions will be open on those days...

To everyone else- any input?? ;)

We are boarding on 12/25, too. We don't get off the ship until 1/1. We're flying in to San Juan a day early and staying for a few post-cruise days. I'd love some suggestions! And not just for restaurants! Are you familiar with Ikakos? Someone at Ajili Mojili recommended it to us, since they won't be open for dinner the night before we sail. My DH and I had dinner at Ajili Mojili one night before a cruise a few years ago, and it was a wonderful experience. The waiter spent a lot of time telling us about the island and about Cuba, where he was originally from. The food was really good, and the whole experience was something I'd like my kids to enjoy. Maybe during our post-cruise days...

Which ship are you sailing on?

We sailed on the Inspiration over Christmas 2003.

As I remember there really wasn't anything all that special for Christmas. They did a Christmas show which involved some of the kids which was pretty good. Dave, the piano bar player, did 2 sets of Christmas carrols on Christmas Eve before dinner which was great. To be honest I can't recall if they decorated the ship any differently. Spent Christmas Day driving around Cozumel in a rented Jeep going from beach to beach. But the food wasn't anything different.

The cruise ended before the New Year's so I don;t know about what happened over that holiday.

One thought though: DW bought some phone cards, wrapped them, added a bow, and gave them to our cabin stewards, waiters. etc. on Christmas Day so they would have something to open and they could call their familes back at home. Read about the idea on the boards and thought it was a pretty good pne.

Enjoy!!!

CTMak

We'll take anything.

I have used the phone card idea in past. The problem I have with that is that one has to know which phone card to purchase. They must be international ones (which typically cost a bit more) and moreso available at shore stops.

Calling cards purchased at states, such as 7-eleven or Walmart ones are no good when used on those phones available to them ashore. So we were told by our server friend who attempted to use one one time. When we asked with other crew, they agreed and said the same. So- the thought of this gift is wonderful. We just need to make sure we spend money on ones that will work for them and truly be a gift. ;)

Thanks again for postings...

Any recent ones?

I don't know if this helps. I was on an early Dec sailing on Christmas on Princess and they had a huge Christmas tree in the Atrium. I would definitely think there would be decorations.

Have you checked with your roll call to see if anyone else had done a holiday sailing?

1. Will there be a speacial Xmas dinner? --- Nothing special last year

2. Any freebies on board in holiday spirit? --- free champagne on New Year's Eve at Deck Party

3. Will formal nights be re-aranged to fall on Xmas day and New Year's eve? --- no they added formal a formal night for New Year's Eve last year (3 formal nights)

4. Is formal wear more "decadent" this time of year? (ie. tuxes ilo suits, floorlenght ilo cocktail dresses) --- I didn't notice anything overly special

5. Will Carnival provide New Year's eve party gear? ie. Hats, noisemakers, etc.? --- Yes, hats & noisemakers will be left in your cabin after dinner.

6. Any fireworks in sight? (Our New Year's Eve will be an "at sea" day) --- No fireworks, only fog horn

7. Special drink prices, special SPA prices?? --- There's always a drink of the day.

Awesome answers...Thank you! I see you did the same sailing we are doing- but on Glory last year. We actually thought of doing Glory last year too...

For all others- there is great reading now on Main Home page of cruise critic with neat Holiday sailing insight!!

Was on the Radiance of the Seas last year (and an NCL in 99), and while I missed midnight (long story) everyone said it was something special.

All week there were decorations all over the ship....including a HUGE ginger bread house.

On New Years there was noismakers, hats, confetui, balloons, fog horns, free champainge, and a times square atmosphere throughout the atriums falling balloons, etc.)

We loved our cruise so much, that this year we booked the Valor for the same week!

I don't know if this helps. I was on an early Dec sailing on Christmas on Princess and they had a huge Christmas tree in the Atrium. I would definitely think there would be decorations.

Have you checked with your roll call to see if anyone else had done a holiday sailing?

What is a roll call?:confused:

They are the postings where everyone in the same sailing correspond with each other on these boards. All cruise lines have it here on cruise critic and some- like Carnival and Royal Caribbean- are more interactive than others. Here is a sample-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331

Archived