Looking for Info re Magens BayBeach when on a CruiseTour etc

cubalinda

Hi there. I could use some advice/experiences re going to Magens Bay Beach while on a Cruise Tour and help with my choice of a Tour please.

I will be in St. Thomas May 2nd from 10 am to 7 pm and am deciding between tours, both of which offer Magens Bay Beach where I'd like to go.

One of the options is a Royal Caribbean sponsored "Discover St. Thomas" Tour with sightseeing/Beach stop for 2 hours and then dropped off for Shopping etc in downtown Charlotte Amalie (not as keen on that part of the tour) to finish.

That tour starts at 10:45 and after a stop or two takes us to Magens Bay Beach for our 2 hrs.( I really want to go to this beach because of what I have heard about its beauty)

Apparently there will be 2 other ships in port that day besides Harmony of the Seas that I am on.

Can someone chime in on how busy it might be midday on a Tuesday with that many ships there?

I really hope to be able to rent a chair and get a good spot that I might be able to see the water and not relegated to sitting at a picnic table that I hear they have at the back part of the beach. What are your experiences?

The alternative is a Sightseeing/Beach tour with Marian's Taxi Service with just Sightseeing and then the beach, Apparently 2 hours of each, ending with the beach part. Her tour starts at 12:30, so I guess we'd get there mid-afternoon

Is there any difference in how busy it is at Magens Bay at this time compared to around noon? Thoughts?

Could someone chime in on their experience with Marian's Taxi Service tours?

(yes I have scoured the internet and have read many reviews but I was hoping for some personal feedback here)

She seems to cover the basics in terms of sights, and in her communication with me assured me that I would be able to go to Magens Bay Beach and that the Beach of choice would not be determined by a vote (I definitely don't want that). Has anyone had a similar promise and your beach choice was accommodated?

How was Magens Bay itself- sand, food,water,atmosphere etc.? I know others on the island are better known for snorkeling, but my friend I'm going with wants to know whether she should either bring her mask or rent one while there or is it not really worthwhile?

Sorry for the deluge of questions but I could really use the help in getting some facts/experiences about this beach and the tour i'm looking at while in St. Thomas.

Thanks very much for any input.

>> Apparently there will be 2 other ships in port that day besides Harmony of the Seas that I am on.

Can someone chime in on how busy it might be midday on a Tuesday with that many ships there? <<

Magens will be crowded where the amenities are located, especially since you are arriving later in the day. It's a little less crowded on the west end where there are no amenities. I suppose you could drag your lounges down there? Nice beach, calm water, and a favorite of many locals and visitors. We prefer the East End beaches for their beauty, island views, and better food options and abundant natural shade in the case of Sapphire Beach. Just more character IMHO.

Because we enjoy nice beaches that are not the most crowded on ship days we would avoid a tour that goes to Magens or to a beach by group vote. Consider just taking a taxi to Sapphire Beach, or see if there is an excursion that includes a stop at either Sapphire or Smith Bay Park (Secret Sands).