Update on Viking Sky?

Senior Gators

A Viking Oceans "Redeployment Team" representative called this afternoon to let us know that the Viking Sky has been redeployed and will not be sailing from NYC to San Juan on October 5, 2017. He offered (and we accepted) the change to the Viking Sea sailing on the same the same route 8 days later. Something is up with the Sky since others have posted that future cruises they have booked in the spring of 2018 have also met the same fate as ours. In looking at Viking's website, I notice that the Sky is no longer showing up from October 2017 until at least April 2018. It will be interesting when Viking announces where and what cruises the Sky will be taking after Redeployment".

Since they are rather new at the Ocean Cruising thing, I would guess they are still trying to figure out the best "deployment" of their assets - in this case the Sky.

Should be interesting how they handle folks with advance bookings.

I received a small tidbit of information on the Viking Sky's future cruises from what I consider a reliable source. It seems that Viking Oceans is making a major redeployment of the Sky and new cruising opportunities will be made public approximately mid-month January. My source couldn't reveal anymore than that except they expected I would be very pleased with the new offerings. I will be checking the Viking Cruises website frequently after the new year since I am looking for one or more new cruises for 2018.

I posted this on a new thread a few days ago, but I guess there is a possibility that the redeployment of Viking Sky and this email from Viking announcing new destinations are connected.

The original post is reproduced below:

Here in the UK we have been asked to pre-register our interest on new Viking cruises to both Alaska and Australia & New Zealand.

The only information at the moment seems to be some outline seasons. The text of the email is as follows:

ALASKA and AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND

We are so excited to launch our first ever Alaska and Australia & New Zealand cruises.

Join us in the summer of 2019 as we sail from Vancouver to Alaska, the ‘Last Frontier’ on a spectacular journey of discovery. Or head for warmer climes in Australia and New Zealand in 2018 and explore these two spectacular countries.

Pre-register your interest now and as soon as these new cruises are launched, you’ll be the first to know.

Both these are destinations that would interest us, so it will be great to get more information as soon as it becomes available.

Neil

NeilP57,

Thank you for you information. Obviously, Viking is staggering the announcement of new cruise offerings to different markets and the UK got it first. We too are interested in the possibilities of cruising to Australia and New Zealand in 2018, less so for Alaska in 2019. Viking did something similar about surveying potential cruisers' interest in an Around the World Cruise before officially announcing it.

I received a small tidbit of information on the Viking Sky's future cruises from what I consider a reliable source. It seems that Viking Oceans is making a major redeployment of the Sky and new cruising opportunities will be made public approximately mid-month January. My source couldn't reveal anymore than that except they expected I would be very pleased with the new offerings. I will be checking the Viking Cruises website frequently after the new year since I am looking for one or more new cruises for 2018.

Senior Gators,

Have you heard anything on the actual status of constuction of the Sky?

Anything in information you are seeing/hearing as to whether their Into the Midnight Sun cruise on the Sky for July 1, 2017 (London to Bergen) is going to be impacted?

LeRenardRouge,

I have no specific information on the current status of the Viking Sky, but a search of several of the cruise ship tracking sites is showing the ship docked at Fincantieri's Ancona, Italy shipyards as of this evening. It should be undergoing its final fitting out and completion of interior spaces. I expect that sometime after the beginning of the year the crew will report aboard and the ship will undergo its sea trials.

Unless you have heard something otherwise from Viking, I would expect the Sky to be on schedule for its spring inaugural cruise and the subsequent ones up to the fall cruises. As I have previously noted in my posts, it is later in the fall of 2017 that it is being redeployed.

Edited by Senior Gators