question about straight irons

kimcruiser

I use a straight iron daily. I usually buy John Frieda hair products (for frizz) when going to the carribean, and this time I also want to use my straight iron. The problem is this; I dont know if the ships electrical system can handle the 445 degree farenheit iron. Has anybody else used theirs? Thanks

i don't know if that is the "common" temp for straight irons, but i bring mine (professional kind) all the time. I have never had a problem.

If you are really worried, i would call the cruise line and ask, but i have never heard of it being a problem.

I also have a professional one and bring it with me on my cruises and haven't had a problem. I also have a professional curling iron that I bring. (I'm very careful with both, I even have hubby check after me to make sure they are off and I move them to the counter in the bathroom)

If the ship you're going on is a fairly new one (I don't know much about C ships) the electrical may be fine. Check the wattage on your appliance, if it is close to a regular clothing iron, it may be too strong for the circuit, but a couple people here have said theirs worked fine.

I don't know much about flat irons as they came out a few years after I retired from hair styling. But my daughter uses one and absolutely fries her hair with it. Talking with our current hair stylist, she recommends turning the temp down and using the iron in several passes, as opposed to ironing the hair slowly with just one or two passes. Does that make sense?

DD deep conditions her hair twice a week and uses heat protecting products to try and lessen the damage.

Archived