5 Best Cities for Pre- and Post-Cruise Stays on the Danube River

LauraS

A superficial article at best. Strictly speaking only two of the cities are actually on the Danube, but I can understand that Prague is a popular terminus, and Bucharest to a lesser extent, for Danube cruises. What I can't understand is why the entry for Munich should be illustrated by a photo of Neuschwanstein Castle, which is nowhere near either Munich or the Danube. Are the Frauenkirche or Rathaus, for example, not picturesque enough?

Edited by laverendrye

I've been to all five and would say Budapest is by far my favorite. There's lots to see and do (even with multiple visits) and it's stunningly beautiful and pedestrian friendly. It's affordable, has lots of great restaurants and shops and the people are really friendly.

I'm with you....Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to and I love everything about it...second would be Bratislava....small and lovely with wonderful restaurants and the walk along the Danube at night is very romantic...an added bonus is the hydrofoil that hops between Vienna and Bratislava....but you have to stay over-night..also love Vienna...rounding out the top 5 my picks would be Bucharest, Belgrade and Regensburg... I know, that's 6...what can I say?